Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Oct 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2774521)   #1
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Light, Camera, Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf sun View Post
...and a mushroom...

Interesting.

As I was walking ... (? walking - mountaineering perhaps) up the track alongside the Kemmel Straight there was a chap nearby with a fair amouny of camera gear and much greater levels of fitness. At one point he stopped and started focussing on a subject away from the track. Puzzled I too stopped and noticed that he had spotted some fungi that seemed to him at the time more interesting than the race in progress.

(Actually that should read ... "Greatful for an excuse to avoid a self induced cardiac event without appearing to be physically incapable of walking up a hill, I too stopped and took a few minutes to get my breath back whilst pretending to be interested in the same subject .....)

I suspect there are a number of reasons for being around the environs of Spa-Francorchamps in late September, motor racing being just one of them.

Superb action capture ot Mr. Jolliffe wolf sun. What does it look like if you crop out the left and right sides and most of the tarmac at the bottom? Then maybe tweak a couple of settings to give it some Wow factor? If the original image will take it you could get a really powerful image with a little manipulation, er, I mean persuasion.

IMO.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2774551)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quite surprising to see this,in an attempt to counter the boredom of some of the races,we had a drive round the perimeter track. I was very surprised at the diversity of the 'mushrooms' along the Kemmel straight,I counted twenty two diferent types in total,Death Caps were just about everywhere,but tasted a little 'off'.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2774569)   #3
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
wolf sun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Superb action capture ot Mr. Jolliffe wolf sun. What does it look like if you crop out the left and right sides and most of the tarmac at the bottom? Then maybe tweak a couple of settings to give it some Wow factor? If the original image will take it you could get a really powerful image with a little manipulation, er, I mean persuasion.

IMO.
Thank you, grantp. Any comments, hints, advice are well appreciated, as I've only started photographing (very occasionally) a couple of years ago.

The cropping out is a good idea

BUT as to the tweaking of settings the sad truth is...I am colour-blind, which makes it close to impossible to properly work on temperature, colours, even lighting...frustrating (and sometimes funny as well, talk about BRB...British Racing, er, Brown), but what can you do? Unless I find someone willing to tweak a few hundred pics for nothing, nada, niente, I'll have to live with that *sob*

Maybe I should have tasted one of the Spa 'shrooms to cure my colour problem...
Old 13 Oct 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2774599)   #4
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf sun View Post
Thank you, grantp. Any comments, hints, advice are well appreciated, as I've only started photographing (very occasionally) a couple of years ago.

The cropping out is a good idea

BUT as to the tweaking of settings the sad truth is...I am colour-blind, which makes it close to impossible to properly work on temperature, colours, even lighting...frustrating (and sometimes funny as well, talk about BRB...British Racing, er, Brown), but what can you do? Unless I find someone willing to tweak a few hundred pics for nothing, nada, niente, I'll have to live with that *sob*

Maybe I should have tasted one of the Spa 'shrooms to cure my colour problem...
Ok, better already on a number of counts - for a start the main subjects are larger within the image size allowed which helps the colours ..... ah, hmm. A very interesting challenge dealing with colour perceptions problems which, as I understand it, can have many variations.

In general you may be able to assume that a small boost to saturation will tend to be a 'good thing', though not always. After that 'vibrance' and 'luminance' settings - small tweaks - would the the most common adjustments to 'lift' an image and are mainly quite safe if not overdone. (Having said that I am aware that some cameras used in some ways with specific settings can produce quite variable colour results often for very specific colours - I have an example from my own activities a few weeks ago but that is for another time, maybe.)

What happens if you run with a monochrome conversion? My understanding, little though it is, is that grey scale output will look jujst the same to you as to anyone else with 'normal' eyesight. Is that the case or do you find that grey scale is also a problem?

The good news is that there seem to be steps taking place to really come up with a standard for in camera processing that should mean that colour inconsistency steadily becomes less of a problem - not many of all the snappers in the world, worry too much about it anyway!

The second good thing is that there is usually more benefit to a shot from looking at sharpness and contrast/luminance then there is worrying about colour. And luminance is really a 'greyscale' sort of value so is not so dependent on colour alone, though to some extent sharpness/contrast are more affected and effective in some primary colours than others.

This shot (shot as jpg?) looks fine for all colours. I suspect it might respond quite nicely to a small amount of additional sharpening (quite normal) unless the full size image is already sharp. Something will be lost on compression for the web so it's not easy to be sure.

The black numbers appear as a dark blue (not quite black) - this is a really common problem when the numbers are quite horizontal and the light is bright and contrasty. There are ways to adjust that if one really wanted to ensure that the black reference points gave good black results but I don't see it as a big deal for a web posting where there are so many other variables in play that one has to hope that the majority of viewers are using terminals that are approximately 'average' in what they present.

Just a quick thought dump from me for now. The crop (you might even crop a little more losing bits of the wheels just to see ho it looks) has made quite a big difference (in my opinion) for improving a shot that was already good. But that is a very personal thing ....
Old 14 Oct 2010, 07:09 (Ref:2774723)   #5
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flip sake Grant man, and here I thought all you did was point and squirt, then plug it in to your PC and press a button.

You live and learn, boyso, you live and learn.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2774742)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Flip sake Grant man, and here I thought all you did was point and squirt, then plug it in to your PC and press a button.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do, which is why wolf sun's pics are already better than mine!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2774767)   #7
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much what I do, which is why wolf sun's pics are already better than mine!
Nahh, that's down to my raw talent!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2774786)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post

You live and learn, boyso, you live and learn.
Heh. I wish.

Sometimes that works well and, ideally, we seek a camera set up that allows just that, at least for posting on internet sites which are naturally compromised anyway in terms of absolute quality - partly by needing small files so the net doesn't grind to a halt and partly because of the variability and limitations of monitors.

The problem is that you can't always get the framing right or isolate the subject as you want to when taking the shot. Whereas JT has the knack of the story telling group shot as well the single subject portrait, I have always leaned towards the single subject (so often just don't 'see' good 'reporting' shots that tell the story until the moment is passed) and that usually means doing some work to get rid of unwanted elements of the photo as shot.

What I am seeking is a 'formula' that means I can simply process all the images in a batch and let the computer do the work. With studio work on inanimate objects that would be a reasonable goal. But shooting action subjects in variable lighting conditions (second by second in many cases as clouds pass overhead on sunny days) reduces that potential somewhat, unless one compromises.

There are signs that the camera manufacturers will quite soon be able to offer something that will always be good enough AND croppable directly from the camera, in which case the post (shoot) processing effort could well be much reduced for the majority of images.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2774936)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't help feeling that I should be moving some of these posts to a new thread!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2774939)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was the title?
Old 14 Oct 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2774945)   #11
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huh!
Old 14 Oct 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2774946)   #12
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
What was the title?
"The Spa Six Hours of Mushroom Collecting 2010"
Old 14 Oct 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2774948)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Can't help feeling that I should be moving some of these posts to a new thread!
Not worth it John - will move the general photo stuff off line.

However I'm trying to work out what the general environment as Spa would look like to anyone with green impared vision, given how green everything is, including the fencing. There are some web sites that aim to emulate the various versions of the condition - I'll see what they offer and maybe make a frame or two available for anyone who may be interested.

Flags could be interesting I suppose - to a colourblind driver.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2775036)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Here we go, wolf sun's original cropped image slightly tweaked and presented in a monochrome style.

What do people think?

ETA: The in-focus/out of focus effect works best when clicked to view larger.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc02982a.jpg  
Old 14 Oct 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2775059)   #15
ClassicRacingTV
Rookie

Netherlands
ClassicRacingTV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here we go, wolf sun's original cropped image slightly tweaked and presented in a monochrome style.

What do people think?

I like it, but think it's a pity the cars seem to be standing still. A longer exposure could have put some more action into the pic.

Not that I'm a great photographer, just observing...
Old 14 Oct 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2775071)   #16
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure you guys haven't been sniffing on some wrong mushrooms? This is a thread that starts to make sense, and we all know this isn't right.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 20:16 (Ref:2775076)   #17
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:

What do people think?

Hmm, I think I prefer colour, although they are startlingly clear, you can nearly see what they had for breakfast.
The tyres all look too hard to me - but maybe that is how those tyres should look.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2775123)   #18
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

What do people think?

cant see it
Old 15 Oct 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2775249)   #19
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
I do like it very much, I have to say - especially considering my usual reluctance to play with monochrome. Quite amazed at what you did with the depth of field (is that correct?Schärfentiefe) - superb!
I owe you a pint, Grant, I suggest next autumn somewhere in the Ardennes.

As to the longer exposure: I like that, too, but use it more for side shots - haven't yet got too many decent results with longer-exposed head-on shots.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2775250)   #20
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper View Post
cant see it
Have a mushroom, then you'll know...
Old 15 Oct 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2775279)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
half a 'fly agaric' and they're all moving, and not necessarily forwards!
Old 15 Oct 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2775284)   #22
SAMD
Veteran

Way too many mushrooms, methinks
Old 17 Oct 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2776079)   #23
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Guys, I really, really, REALLY will be splitting this lot up soon into different threads. Now what was this thread about? Oh, yeah, Spa!
You must admit; yet again an ingenious spin off of the Spa 6h thread
Old 17 Oct 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2776138)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
There you are; just to annoy Grant further, he's started the thread, so it's his fault if it goes off the boil. And yes, deliberately left off the 's' in 'Light'.

I have to say that I really struggle with the quality of my photography (HSCC Finals at Silverstone is one of my poorer sets). Getting enough light in and avoiding the slightly blurred effect is my difficulty, and I experiment quite a bit with both ISO and shutter speed settings. I also spend some time with Adobe trying to introduce greater contrast and light to the results. If I have time, I might throw up a few of my more 'interesting' (but hopeless) shots. Howerer, Grant is right about my efforts to include trackside furniture, marshals and spectators into my shots; to me it's all part of it.
Old 17 Oct 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2776268)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
There you are; just to annoy Grant further, he's started the thread, so it's his fault if it goes off the boil. And yes, deliberately left off the 's' in 'Light'.

I have to say that I really struggle with the quality of my photography (HSCC Finals at Silverstone is one of my poorer sets). Getting enough light in and avoiding the slightly blurred effect is my difficulty, and I experiment quite a bit with both ISO and shutter speed settings. I also spend some time with Adobe trying to introduce greater contrast and light to the results. If I have time, I might throw up a few of my more 'interesting' (but hopeless) shots. Howerer, Grant is right about my efforts to include trackside furniture, marshals and spectators into my shots; to me it's all part of it.
The thing is John that when you include the 'trackside furniture' your shots, to me, convey a full bodied story.

When I attempt to do the same, my shots, to me, just look cluttered.