Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:352121)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motorsport forums Vs non-motorsport forums

G'Day to All,
Firstly I want to say how much I enjoy this site - what a goldmine of interesting facts, stimulating discussion, memories, humour, serious issues to debate and some **** (its got the lot!). I am only new to the forum and haven't read any charter or suchlike so I may be talking thorough my hat, but, I have noticed that the "serious" car and motorsport forums seem to be getting overtaken by the non-motorsport ones eg fav songs etc (no offence to whoever raised this one).

Now before you all flame me into oblivion, I have nothing against this sort of stuff except to say that there are heaps of other forums on the net where wee folk interested in Kylie or the Spice Girls etc can play (still with me?)

So, I would like to respectfully suggest to 10/10's, if it is at all possible to at least put the kosher forums at the top of the list – too much to ask? Cheers
Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:53 (Ref:352127)   #2
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Points I suppose
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:08 (Ref:352138)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I don't think there's too much of that kind of stuff outside of the gravel trap - at least I've never noticed it.

Which forums are you referring to?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:34 (Ref:352160)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at the forum lists, with only a few exceptions, the motorsport forums are at the top of the list. I think the reason the Gravel Trap is the area with most posts is simple because that's the one forum that everyone has in common. Some members may only be interested in F1, others in CART or touring cars, but everyone can find something of interest in the Gravel Trap - it's our social meeting ground, like the pub, and it's where allegiances are set aside and everyone comes together as equals.

If you do find that there's a non-motorsport topic in a motorsport forum, the relevant mods are usually good ar moving it to where it belongs, but if you find one still there, use the warn button to request a move.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 12:20 (Ref:352994)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to All

Yep I see where I have erred now, it is the fact that I usually start off in "VIEW NEW POSTS". It is this presentation where you have to wade through quite a bit of GRAVEL TRAP stuff to get to the motorsport postings. If this view could be re-ordered in forum order rather than the sequence it was posted it might be more logical and it would certainly look better to me!! Cheers
Old 12 Aug 2002, 22:35 (Ref:356478)   #6
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all us other 'youngsters ' in here that is a good point. I also usually start with todays posts, then find I have difficulty keeping track of threads I am in. Obviously I have missed something somewhere, but how do I track threads rather than dates?
A Canadian friend "Guest" also has the same problem, and I was about to PM LIz for help til I found this thread.
Old 13 Aug 2002, 18:45 (Ref:357048)   #7
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but to me it sounds as if you're only using the "view new posts" bit (which IMO is for when you're bored and you have nothing to do but refresh, refresh until you see a new post that you want to reply to). If that's the case, then perhaps the forum list http://tentenths.com/forum might be of help.

Sorry if this sounds obvious to you but I haven't really experienced your situation before. :confused:
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 15 Aug 2002, 11:48 (Ref:358267)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Not Bored - Just pressed for time!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but to me it sounds as if you're only using the "view new posts" bit (which IMO is for when you're bored and you have nothing to do but refresh, refresh until you see a new post that you want to reply to). If that's the case, then perhaps the forum list http://tentenths.com/forum might be of help.

Sorry if this sounds obvious to you but I haven't really experienced your situation before. :confused:
Hey Nic, you obviously have a Cray Supercomputer, a NASA broadband connection and the skills of a power user. I have to compete with three teenage children just get on-line!! When I do get on line I have a number of other sites to check (I know this is hard to believe but people do have other interest besides motorsport!!)

So putting my situation in perspective, coupled with only an average internet connection and equipment you start to see that when I log on to this excellent site I would prefer to see the "serious motorsport" posts paging up first! the last thing I want to see is fav songs, coolest Fi driver of the century, spicegirls.com etc etc etc
etc
Old 15 Aug 2002, 12:31 (Ref:358296)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For what it's worth, the way I do it is to keep the cookies up to date, and then as Nicholas White suggests, I use the forum menu first of all when I arrive at the site.

This then flags up by way of those illuminated lightbulbs which forums have received new messages since I've been in, and then I just dive in and out of those forums in order of preference/likelihood of something interesting.

In my case, this roughly goes in order: Historic, Club, Trackside, Sportscars, Touring Cars, F1 and so on.

I find that the fastest, most efficient way of sifting the wheat from the chaff. I have absolutely no time whatsoever, for example, for the handbag fights amongst various professional Formula 3 team members in the Single Seater forum, but these wouldn't be sifted out by the "serious motorsport" filter that you suggest.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 16:55 (Ref:358461)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Though I navigate the Forum pretty much as Tim does, another option might be to set the forums you like in your "My Forum" setting and use that page as your entree into the Forum. That way you could avoid most of the Spice girl topics and see only the Motorsports catagories you follow.
Old 15 Aug 2002, 22:29 (Ref:358752)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also do it Tim's way. Start at the menu and surf away.
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:36 (Ref:359066)   #12
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
TimD You've made my day

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

I have absolutely no time whatsoever, for example, for the handbag fights amongst various professional Formula 3 team members in the Single Seater forum, but these wouldn't be sifted out by the "serious motorsport" filter that you suggest. [/B]
I nearly fell off my perch when I read this - I'm sure that some of the F3 lads are not half as bad as that!!
Old 16 Aug 2002, 12:39 (Ref:359071)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah, they're pretty bad!