Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Nov 2019, 23:51 (Ref:3941280)   #301
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Ah, it’s the American owned Cooper Ford he bravely drove at Goody, then?

A search using the Reg Number turned up a shipping record for a UK to USA trip back in 2014 (iirc) with the car shown as a Cooper Mk5. I thought that was a bit odd - but then it was just a shipping record and pretty much anything in the details could be a tad questionable.

Apart from that lead to Cooper nothing else turned up to indicate that Cooper ever made a car like that. So its information seems quite well obscured, at least from Google's sources.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3941325)   #302
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
A search using the Reg Number turned up a shipping record for a UK to USA trip back in 2014 (iirc) with the car shown as a Cooper Mk5. I thought that was a bit odd - but then it was just a shipping record and pretty much anything in the details could be a tad questionable.

Apart from that lead to Cooper nothing else turned up to indicate that Cooper ever made a car like that. So its information seems quite well obscured, at least from Google's sources.
Grant,
Not much to go on, but looking at the front suspension, and comparing it with the Cooper Mk V in the 500's batch there is a small clue.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3941340)   #303
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Grant,
Not much to go on, but looking at the front suspension, and comparing it with the Cooper Mk V in the 500's batch there is a small clue.
Sorry got a call 'Porridge is ready' so had to leave the thread.

Grant the car is clearly not a Cooper MK 5 as that is a single seater, rear engined, motor cycle powered, racing car, whereas the car depicted looks like a front engined sports car of 1499 cc. I am no engineer, but converting one to t'uther. seems unlikely. maybe if Anatoly Aruntunoff is on post he maybe able to cast more light on the subject. Failing that perhaps Mike can find out more via his source. From my recollection most 'specials' using Ford power were 1172cc back then. This one is listed as being 1955 vintage.

Well you started the provenance debate.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:19 (Ref:3941341)   #304
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Grant,

It just seems a bit odd that a generic search for Cooper Mk5 produced no mention at all of a anything other than the 500s - or indeed any indication of a car like this from Cooper other than those with somewhat more aerodynamic bodies from the same era.

A good challenge though Bob!

I suppose over the years people have made various modifications to suit their desires and to expect to find information on the 'net to illustrate all of them is perhaps expecting too much.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3941342)   #305
bauble
Veteran

England
No particular rhyme or reason for this lot, just some interesting motor cars;

Over to the 'big heads'
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1633.JPG   IMG_4497.jpg   IMG_0724.JPG  

IMG_0606.JPG   IMG_0418.JPG   IMG_5521.JPG  

Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:38 (Ref:3941346)   #306
bauble
Veteran

England
For the older folk. The Pom.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0068.JPG   _MG_0077.JPG   _MG_0082.JPG  

_MG_0088.JPG   _MG_0098.JPG   _MG_0129.JPG  

Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3941348)   #307
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Grant the car is clearly not a Cooper MK 5 as that is a single seater, rear engined, motor cycle powered, racing car, whereas the car depicted looks like a front engined sports car of 1499 cc. I am no engineer, but converting one to t'uther. seems unlikely. maybe if Anatoly Aruntunoff is on post he maybe able to cast more light on the subject. Failing that perhaps Mike can find out more via his source. From my recollection most 'specials' using Ford power were 1172cc back then. This one is listed as being 1955 vintage.

Well you started the provenance debate.
I was at the Revival that year and did learn a bit from Billy about the car- but have now forgotten....I do remember him describing driving it as a challenge!

Grant, I wouldn’t be surprised if the shipping doc description was to satisfy customs chappies. It’s definitely an original car, even if we’re not quite sure what the history is! I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it.....
Old 18 Nov 2019, 09:51 (Ref:3941353)   #308
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It just seems a bit odd that a generic search for Cooper Mk5 produced no mention at all of a anything other than the 500s - or indeed any indication of a car like this from Cooper other than those with somewhat more aerodynamic bodies from the same era.

A good challenge though Bob!

I suppose over the years people have made various modifications to suit their desires and to expect to find information on the 'net to illustrate all of them is perhaps expecting too much.
Perhaps more clues might emerge from this lot, Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 576.jpg   Picture 577.jpg   Picture 601.jpg  

Picture 614.jpg   Picture 625.jpg  
Old 18 Nov 2019, 10:23 (Ref:3941359)   #309
bauble
Veteran

England
When using Google you often need to be creative, I turned up this very interesting item which goes some way to clearing up the mystery Cooper.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...toly-arutunoff
Old 18 Nov 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3941374)   #310
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
When using Google you often need to be creative, I turned up this very interesting item which goes some way to clearing up the mystery Cooper.

Well done! Toly A is a bit of a legend over the pond.....
Old 18 Nov 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3941378)   #311
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

I stumbled cross this

https://dacorsa.com/events/mm/1990/index.html

Car 154 seems to relate.

Conceptually it is somewhat akin to a T14 or T21.

Quite how it has anything much to do with a Mk4 or Mk5 is not clear - but if it does it could explain the driving experience as mentioned by Mike based on driver comments.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3941384)   #312
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bob's #305 are:-

Ballamy Ford (I think)
Gomm Jaguar
HWM Jag
Morgan (any significance in that one?)
Fairthorpe
Reliant Sabre Six
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Nov 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3941397)   #313
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Bob's #305 are:-

Ballamy Ford (I think)
Gomm Jaguar
HWM Jag
Morgan (any significance in that one?)
Fairthorpe
Reliant Sabre Six
John,
I put up a lot of pictures just because I like them and hope someone else will, the Morgan did kind of slip through the net, but I left it. Why not? I suppose many like to try and identify the odd balls, and some like to put them right.

I could do BTCC, GT cars, etc, but they have no place on this forum.

Oh! Well spotted by the way.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3941398)   #314
bauble
Veteran

England
This from the 2014 Kop Hill Climb. A 1937 Cooper Special No 1. 750cc.
If this is listed as number 1 maybe there are more Cooper Specials to be discovered.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6379.jpg  
Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3941400)   #315
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The front suspension on the Goodwood car is very similar to the early 50s Cooper Bristols, so it could be a re-bodied and re-engined F2 car for the Mille Miglia...... Just guessing!
Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3941405)   #316
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The front suspension on the Goodwood car is very similar to the early 50s Cooper Bristols, so it could be a re-bodied and re-engined F2 car for the Mille Miglia...... Just guessing!
The Cooper Bristol was first made in 1952, a bit too early for the MM car, the suspension also looks similar to the MK 5 500.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3941406)   #317
bauble
Veteran

England
More for Stuart to tell us about, an interesting selection from Silverstone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1324.JPG   IMG_1381.JPG   IMG_1457.JPG  

IMG_1412.JPG   IMG_1374.JPG   IMG_1473.JPG  

Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3941410)   #318
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Cooper (possibly based on a Mk IV) is a very attractive motor. It makes me wonder if it could in any way be the inspiration for Colin Chapman's Lotus 7, as there are definitely similarities?
Old 18 Nov 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3941422)   #319
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Strange but good to see a DB racer at Silverstone.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3941426)   #320
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I thought you would be pleased Gerry, keep watching this space.
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3941431)   #321
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Heheh the DB Racer with Panhard 500 engine.

Gerry Mo, is that the same guy (René Bonnet) that went on to build the DJet?
And also some quirky Le Mans cars such as the AeroDjet, with the big bulbous enclosed rear wheel arches..
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:15 (Ref:3941434)   #322
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Bauble
Pic 1 - Kerry Horan - Trenberth Vincent, John Chisholm - Arnott
Pic 2 - DB Panhard
Pic 3 - Xavier Kingsland Staride, Shirley Monro - Cooper Mk 4 (This is for sale for £385000.00!!!), Fred Walmsley - Cooper Mk 7
Pic 4 Darrell Woods - Cooper Mk 12
Pic 5 Duncan Rabagliati - Comet
Pic 6 Richard de La Roche - Smith Buckler

Dad bought his first 500 in 1973 a year before I was born (He still competes in the Flash Special) so I have a fair amount of knowledge on them!

Stuart
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:26 (Ref:3941437)   #323
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWBallistic View Post
Thanks Bauble
Pic 1 - Kerry Horan - Trenberth Vincent, John Chisholm - Arnott
Pic 2 - DB Panhard
Pic 3 - Xavier Kingsland Staride, Shirley Monro - Cooper Mk 4 (This is for sale for £385000.00!!!), Fred Walmsley - Cooper Mk 7
Pic 4 Darrell Woods - Cooper Mk 12
Pic 5 Duncan Rabagliati - Comet
Pic 6 Richard de La Roche - Smith Buckler

Dad bought his first 500 in 1973 a year before I was born (He still competes in the Flash Special) so I have a fair amount of knowledge on them!

Stuart
You will know the name Albert Zains then?
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3941439)   #324
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob
Indeed the name is well known in our household. He had the Cooper works build the Flash Special in 1957 which is basically a wider and longer Cooper Mk 11 - rumours were that it wss to accommodate his size but looking at period photos that was clearly not the case.
Always looking for more information if you have anything to share.

Stuart
Old 18 Nov 2019, 15:49 (Ref:3941441)   #325
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Merci, Robert, I will for sure keep on enjoying your pics and many of the answers.
Oui, E.B, DB is for Deutsch Bonnet, the latter was a good pal of my Dad. Because of the engine choice, the Panhard being not always reliable and certainly not powerful, at Le Mans they had to stay focused on the aero as you suggest. I guess a quick search will lead you to "Le monstre", same nickname as Iain's Cad'! When they split up, Charles Deutsch went farther in this development field. I had the opportunity to drive many of those and always found that the CD's were slightly better than the Bonnet cars. Tu sais, ce je ne sais quoi…*