Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 Aug 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1693001)   #1
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Britcarfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should I go to Donington or Brands Tomorrow?

Hi,

I have the day off tomorrow and cannot decide whether to go to Donington for the Le Mans Series or Brands for the British GT/F3. I would be attending for fun and to take some photos. I have a 70-200 2.8 lens and 2x teleconverter and I don't have a media pass. I know there are loads of positions I can use at Brands (GP circuit) but I don't have a clue about positions at Donington (GP circuit). I would appreciate any help you can give me, in the form of shooting positions for Donington or opinions on which event I should attend.

Cheers,

Ray.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:27 (Ref:1693023)   #2
Marc27
Rookie

Marc27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just from a taking photos point of view, I'd say Brands was better. There are a lot of fences at donington park and it's not so easy to get close. There are some spots where you can get good shots, but even then these aren't anywhere near as good as you get at Brands. The best spots I've found for Donigton are along the outside of the craners where there are several spots where you can shoot over the fence and at the first corner.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1693029)   #3
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Thanks for the reply Marc. I do agree that Brands, in particular the GP circuit, is fantastic for photography. Can I also ask you: Do I need to shoot through a fence to do the first corner at Donington?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1693034)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Of the two, personally I'd go to Brands. Donington is alright for photos but not great - there's either a fence in the way or the track is just a little to far away. Sounds like you are already familar with Brands, if so then you'll know that the GP loop can be a bit of a trek but well worth the effort. The only downside with Brands is it can get very muddy and it's not much fun in the wet.

You're also going to get a bit more variety at Brands - several shorter races vs 6hrs of LMS.

For myself, neither, I'm of to MGCC @ Mallory.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1693038)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britcarfan
Do I need to shoot through a fence to do the first corner at Donington?
Yes from the outside, no from the inside.

Last time I was there they had built a temporary grandstand on the outside of Redgate. If that's still there it's high enough to be able to look over the fence.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1693045)   #6
Marc27
Rookie

Marc27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britcarfan
Thanks for the reply Marc. I do agree that Brands, in particular the GP circuit, is fantastic for photography. Can I also ask you: Do I need to shoot through a fence to do the first corner at Donington?
I did my BTCC photos from the grandstand that was there that weekend, but if it's not there then it will be through the fence.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1693049)   #7
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Thanks for your reply redshoes. I am leaning towards the Brands option. However I have only seen the Le Mans Series once before. And also I have done Brands several times but never photographed seriously at Donington before so it would be a bit of a change. If I did do Donington how many different shooting positions would be available without a media pass?
Old 27 Aug 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1693294)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All the temporary grandstand's have now gone.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1695866)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

So... where did you go to and what was it like?
Old 28 Aug 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1695892)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah we had to make that decision too....and went for Brands! Good weekend with Notting Hill today and Silverstone on Sat
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1699422)   #11
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Sorry about the late reply redshoes, I have been away on a training course since early Monday morning. I decided to go to Donington in the end and really enjoyed it. Got some reasonably good shots too, they can be seen here:

http://rsmp.zenfolio.com/p358091696/
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:58 (Ref:1699460)   #12
redshoes
Veteran

Good stuff. Looks like you got some from pretty much every possible vantage point.