Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 28 Jul 2020, 13:51 (Ref:3991245)   #76
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well - of all those models pictured above the only ones that aren't goppingly ugly are the Aston and Volvo Car designs might be more efficient and safer these days but the result is utterly souless identikit boxes on wheels.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 22:04 (Ref:3991316)   #77
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well - of all those models pictured above the only ones that aren't goppingly ugly are the Aston and Volvo Car designs might be more efficient and safer these days but the result is utterly souless identikit boxes on wheels.
I agree, also they all going to sound the same.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Jul 2020, 22:12 (Ref:3991317)   #78
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I agree, also they all going to sound the same.
I never understood this argument for general consumer cars. Of course they sound the same. So do current current cars. A 1.6L Petrol Focus sounds exactly the same as a 1.4L Petrol Toyota Corolla. Nobody is buying a diesel Kia for the sound.

For general consumer cars engine noise is not a factor.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 07:19 (Ref:3991336)   #79
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Audi seem to be confirming that there will be no combustion engine version on some future sport models, meaning that if a particular RS model is EV or hybrid, there will be no alternative.

'Audi Sport will only offer one powertrain on individual cars in future, rather than giving buyers the option of pure combustion-engined or electrified powertrains when choosing an RS model.'

I'm sure many will feel they should be given a choice, but does focusing on a single drive-train mean that they are not having to compromise on design?
Old 29 Jul 2020, 07:22 (Ref:3991337)   #80
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The German firm Electric Brands is looking to demonstrate the versatility of an EV platform, with the eBussy having ten different bodystyles.

Surely there is a design to please all with such a range on offer?

'Two chassis configurations are offered: City and Off-road. Other options include three driving positions - left, central and right - that can be changed by sliding the steering wheel across the dashboard.

Since it's intended for urban use, the eBussy’s four electric motors provide a modest 20bhp. However, it's likely to have an impressive towing capacity, because those same motors produce 737lb ft of torque.'
Old 31 Jul 2020, 08:16 (Ref:3991790)   #81
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
GMC Hummer EV previewed ahead of autumn reveal

'The Hummer EV is referred to as "the world's first super truck". With around 1000bhp and 11,500lb ft of torque, it's claimed to be capable of 0-60mph in 3.0sec and takes its power from GM's new Ultium battery pack'

I'm sure there will be a definite target group for this - but this one seems to be in contrast to the typical EV marketing?
Old 4 Aug 2020, 07:19 (Ref:3992822)   #82
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
There are potentially a range of VW EVs coming soon, with the application to trademark a number of names.

e-Samba, e-Beetle, e-Golf Classic, e-Kübel and e-Karmann have all been applied for, suggesting that they are planning a range of e-classics?
Old 5 Aug 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3993064)   #83
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Zero Labs have released a restomod version of the Series III LandRover.

In terms of practicality - I think the characteristics of EV power delivery (and the lack of exhaust) makes it a viable option for 4x4 use.

'Available in open-backed ‘Beach’ and more traditional ‘Classic’ specs, each costing around $185,000, Zero Labs equips the Series III with independent front and rear suspension, either an 85 or 100kWh battery good for up to 235 miles of range and an e-motor with up to 600bhp.'
Old 9 Aug 2020, 01:16 (Ref:3993897)   #84
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
GMC Hummer EV previewed ahead of autumn reveal

'The Hummer EV is referred to as "the world's first super truck". With around 1000bhp and 11,500lb ft of torque, it's claimed to be capable of 0-60mph in 3.0sec and takes its power from GM's new Ultium battery pack'

I'm sure there will be a definite target group for this - but this one seems to be in contrast to the typical EV marketing?
Nope, it's the status of the vehicle completely. If the original H2 had come with a 3 cylinder engine in it but was the truck to have people would have bought it
Old 10 Aug 2020, 09:11 (Ref:3994393)   #85
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Covering a wide range of EV markets with the latest updates.

At the entry-level point:
Hyundai launches new Ioniq sub-brand for electric models
'Sharing a name with the firm’s big-selling family hatchback - itself available in electric form - Ioniq will be used for each of the brand’s upcoming electric models, which will be told apart using a numerical naming strategy similar to Volkswagen’s ID line-up. Odd numbers will be used for SUVs and even numbers for saloons and other models.

The first production model to adopt the moniker will be the 2021 Ioniq 5, a compact crossover based on the radical 45 concept from last year’s Frankfurt motor show. It will be followed in 2022 by the Ioniq 6 electric sports saloon, which will take cues from the low-slung Prophecy concept. A large, as-yet unseen SUV called the Ioniq 7 will land in 2024.'

In the exotic market:
How Ferrari electrified the SF90 Stradale
'Ferrari's most powerful road car yet, the SF90 Stradale, may not be its first hybrid, but it’s completely different technically from anything that Maranello has produced before, and it has a different purpose. Its 986bhp drive system is not only brutally powerful but also versatile.'

And in the resto-mod market:
Reborn AC Cobra enters production in EV and 2.3-litre forms
'Joining the recent trend of electrifying classic models for the new age, the AC Cobra Series 1 electric is visually identical to the 1962 original. Just 58 will be made (a reference to the number of years since the original's launch) at a price of £138,000 plus on the road fees. Reservations can be made with a fully refundable £2500 fee. '

And branching slightly away from Road Cars - but to give an example of the potential of EVs:
Volkswagen's ID R racer snatched the electric car Nürburgring lap record, but what about record-holders in other categories?

Fastest Road Legal - Lamborghini Aventador SVJ - 6:44:97
Fastest FWD - 2019 Renault Mégane RS Trophy-R - 7:40.10
Fastest 4WD - Lamborghini Aventador SVJ - 6:44:97
Fastest RWD - Porsche 911 GT2 RS - 6:47.30
Fastest EV - Volkswagen ID R - 6:05:336
Fastest Road Legal EV - Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive - 7:56.23
Old 11 Aug 2020, 07:24 (Ref:3994676)   #86
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
The order book is now open for the Lexus UX 300e

'The electric crossover's sub-£50,000 entry cost makes it eligible for the government's £3000 plug-in vehicle grant, unlike premium rivals including the Polestar 2 and Volvo XC40 Recharge P8.

The UX 300e will be sold in just one specification, but two option packs are available: Premium Plus, which bumps the price up to £47,400, and Takumi, which adds another £6100 and therefore exceeds the cut-off for the grant.'
Old 11 Aug 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3994693)   #87
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
'The electric crossover's sub-£50,000 entry cost makes it eligible for the government's £3000 plug-in vehicle grant,
Well in that case I'll take 2

Who are these pitched at? At that price it's cetainly not a mass market vehicle and for circa £50k you can get yourself a lot of car - so why would you buy a Lexus?
Old 11 Aug 2020, 08:59 (Ref:3994703)   #88
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Well in that case I'll take 2

Who are these pitched at? At that price it's cetainly not a mass market vehicle and for circa £50k you can get yourself a lot of car - so why would you buy a Lexus?
I think that could be a common observation across the whole Lexus Model Range.

Why buy the cheapest UX for £30k when you could get a Toyota C-HR for £25k, or a Focus Active for £20k?

Why buy an IS for £33k when you could get a Mazda 3 for £23k, or a Civic Saloon for £25k?
Old 11 Aug 2020, 09:50 (Ref:3994707)   #89
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I think that could be a common observation across the whole Lexus Model Range.
That's a fair point. Lexus are supposedly a 'premium' brand - but does anyone really view then as such? To be honest I'm slightly surprised that Lexus still exist.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 05:49 (Ref:3995081)   #90
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That's a fair point. Lexus are supposedly a 'premium' brand - but does anyone really view then as such? To be honest I'm slightly surprised that Lexus still exist.
If you are looking for quality and something that will deliver masses of trouble free miles, 300 000 plus, you will not do better than Lexus, they are absolutely built to last.

I make no claims on their EVs though.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 06:24 (Ref:3995084)   #91
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
If you are looking for quality and something that will deliver masses of trouble free miles, 300 000 plus, you will not do better than Lexus, they are absolutely built to last.

I make no claims on their EVs though.
Not doubting the build quality of a Lexus - but personally they just seem like an over-priced Toyota.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 06:29 (Ref:3995086)   #92
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
You'd have thought it'd be an easy enough thing to personalise - select your chosen sound from a menu (much like selecting a radio station or whatever). But however they make noise they do need to make some - a friend of mine is registered blind and they hate electric cars - they're too quiet, they need to be heard approaching!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Will Come With All The Sounds Of A Good Old V-8 Engine

'Don’t confuse this with the electronic noise this electric Ford will broadcast to those outside the world populated by pedestrians and bicyclists so they are aware of its presence. This is a dedicated sound system that interacts with throttle position and torque output to faithfully mimic what the car would sound like if it actually had a real V-8 engine burbling through twin exhaust pipes.'

It seems like Ford have considered both internal and external sounds. The car will be making a noise (not sure what it will sound like yet) that is audible to pedestrians / bicyclists. Although I'm not sure how popular it will be to have the sound of a V8 internally.....
Old 13 Aug 2020, 12:21 (Ref:3995153)   #93
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Will Come With All The Sounds Of A Good Old V-8 Engine

'Don’t confuse this with the electronic noise this electric Ford will broadcast to those outside the world populated by pedestrians and bicyclists so they are aware of its presence. This is a dedicated sound system that interacts with throttle position and torque output to faithfully mimic what the car would sound like if it actually had a real V-8 engine burbling through twin exhaust pipes.'

It seems like Ford have considered both internal and external sounds. The car will be making a noise (not sure what it will sound like yet) that is audible to pedestrians / bicyclists. Although I'm not sure how popular it will be to have the sound of a V8 internally.....
You'd have thought it'd be easy to choose an option from an onboard menu if it's only playing sound files.
Old 21 Aug 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3996807)   #94
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
More 'historic' EVs are coming to the market.

Classic car electrification firm Lunaz has revealed two new models for its burgeoning line-up of converted historics: zero-emissions versions of the 1961 Rolls-Royce Phantom V and Silver Cloud.

Old 21 Aug 2020, 10:11 (Ref:3996809)   #95
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
And when you shuffle off the mortal coil, you can go in an EV.
A hearse version of the Model S is now available.

Old 21 Aug 2020, 12:26 (Ref:3996842)   #96
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least it won’t wake the dead
Old 22 Aug 2020, 06:48 (Ref:3996995)   #97
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
At least it won’t wake the dead
Depends on whether there are reanimation points in the back. All that stored electrical energy has to be useful for something, right?
Old 27 Aug 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3998213)   #98
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
For many years, tuners have offered 'mods' to cars to unlock extra performance.
The same is now happening in the EV world, although the makers don't like it because they are losing potential sales of the mods themselves.

'Tesla fights back against owners hacking their cars to unlock performance boost'

'The most recent example is offering a $2,000 “Acceleration Boost” for the Model 3 Dual Motor.

It unlocks roughly 50 hp in the Model 3 powertrain and shortens the 0 to 60 mph acceleration to 3.9 seconds.

Earlier this year, we reported on a company called Ingenext that released a device that enabled Tesla owners to unlock the same capacity for half the price.'
Old 31 Aug 2020, 20:35 (Ref:3999306)   #99
Tanker62M
Rookie

Tanker62M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These retro looking electric cars are awesome! Plus, I had been considering getting one if I move back to Western Europe next year, as I'll mostly use my car for shorter trips: if my company accepts my mutation request, I'll work at home 3 days out of 5 in a week (after all, do I really need to be at the office to do a write-up about how the new Spanish residence permit https://tranio.com/spain/residence/ will affect the local real estate market?), and grocery trips will either be done on foot or, once every couple weeks, in a conventionally powered family car.
Old 1 Sep 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3999366)   #100
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
With the number of vehicles available continuing to increase all the time, what is the model that would suit the market best?
Accepting that the study was carried out by an oil company, the 'tipping point' for mainstream adoption of EVs has been identified in a study.
'the three significant milestones to hit -- according to the study -- include a range of 291 miles, a charging time of 31 minutes and an average purchase price of approximately $36,000'

Do these figures represent a car that would be appealing to the majority - and how close are we to seeing a car fit that criteria on the market?
At the moment, there seems to be a trade off, where 2 of the 3 can be met, but not all 3 in the same car. I expect we will see a model from someone that hits all 3 soon though.