Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 May 2024, 09:30 (Ref:4209479)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MASTERS HISTORIC FESTIVAL 25 – 26 May 2024

Is there an official entry list for Brands Hatch released yet?
Old Yesterday, 13:26 (Ref:4209673)   #2
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Is there an official entry list for Brands Hatch released yet?
Not yet which is a little worrying given Masters have always uploaded them on a Friday. The exception being Red Bull Ring which entries were appalling.
Old Yesterday, 13:58 (Ref:4209680)   #3
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While no official entry list yet, Here's whats on Brands Hatch official Pre-event page, it gives an idea as to who be driving what, at least for the F1.

"As is customary in a season that includes the crown-jewel Monaco event, the entry list for the Brands Hatch round reads as a mixture between cars that ran in the opening round at Paul Ricard but not at Monaco, or the other way around. However, at least four of them haven’t missed either of them – Ewen Sergison is back in his ex-Clay Regazzoni Shadow DN9, and so is departing Masters boss Ron Maydon in his ex-David Purley Lec CRP1.

They are joined in the list by reigning champion Ken Tyrrell’s ex-Michele Alboreto Tyrrell 011 and Mark Higson’s ex-Niki Lauda McLaren MP4/1B. American driver Tyrrell will hope to add a big haul of points to cement his title defence, while Higson aims to score points against strong opposition in the Head class for post-78 ground effect cars.

Warren Briggs, however, has done the contrary and will make his first 2024 start in the McLaren M29 that the Kiwi helped fabricate when he was still a youngster. Likewise, Mark Harrison’s ex-Elio de Angelis Shadow DN9 will also see its season’s debut at Brands, as will the Arrows A3 in the hands of Jordan Grogor.

In yet another twist, Matthew Wrigley will revert to the Tyrrell 011 that he campaigned at Paul Ricard, having raced a March 721G and a Penske PC3 at Monaco. It’s the same with Steve Hartley, the 2006, 2007, 2014 and 2022 champion who in Monaco went back to the Arrows with which he won his first two championships but will return to the ex-John Watson McLaren MP4/1 that helped to win his fourth title.

Mark Hazell (Williams FW08C), Nick Pink (Arrows A5) and Ian Simmonds (Tyrrell 012) are among the drivers who follow up on their Monaco appearance, as is Yutaka Toriba (Williams FW07C), but with a different car from the FW05 the Japanese driver raced in the principality. On the other hand, Simon Fish (Arrows A4) and Peter Williams (in the other Lec CRP1) are part of the contingent that come to Brands straight from Paul Ricard, as is Victor Jabouille (Fittipaldi F8), the son of former Renault F1 star Jean-Pierre Jabouille, who made his Masters debut at Ricard. "
Old Yesterday, 15:49 (Ref:4209694)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Provisional entrylist is on the masters historic site:

https://mastershistoricracing.com/wp...t-20.05.24.pdf

Some pretty sparse grids....
Old Yesterday, 16:06 (Ref:4209701)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bloomin eck!
Old Yesterday, 16:30 (Ref:4209707)   #6
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Bloomin eck!
Eck indeed. That’s very poor. And worrying too.
Old Yesterday, 19:14 (Ref:4209736)   #7
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Erm ok,

F1 = 16
Sportscar Legends = 12
Endurance Legends = 8
GT Trophy = 14
Gentelmen Drivers = 33
Touring Cars = 30

Was really looking forward to going to this meeting but with those entries i cant justify the entry prices - £26 Saturday & £30 Sunday. I might go down for the test day on Friday. The smaller F1 entry i can understand as Monaco was only week n half ago, but the Endurance and Sportscars Legends? Realy hope this is just a blip
Old Yesterday, 19:45 (Ref:4209739)   #8
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Erm ok,

F1 = 16
Sportscar Legends = 12
Endurance Legends = 8
GT Trophy = 14
Gentelmen Drivers = 33
Touring Cars = 30

Was really looking forward to going to this meeting but with those entries i cant justify the entry prices - £26 Saturday & £30 Sunday. I might go down for the test day on Friday. The smaller F1 entry i can understand as Monaco was only week n half ago, but the Endurance and Sportscars Legends? Realy hope this is just a blip
With new owners at Masters I can't see this event going on in its current form as its nothing like what it used to be. Its not changed content wise for some years and it shows

Brands just isn't the draw it once was as the events gone stale for me
Old Yesterday, 22:04 (Ref:4209744)   #9
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've thought for a number of years that this event on the Monaco year needs to be mid June. The Masters GT and Endurance Legends should be one grid with such a small entry.
Old Yesterday, 22:11 (Ref:4209745)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Yes I'm afraid that car racing at this level is getting silly money for historic cars, not only that but most of the drivers are almost as old as their cars and some more !
On a more serious note I have been around race cars and circuits since the early 60s and seen it grow and grow with huge crowds up until the mid 90s. As I live close I often pop up to Brands (if I am in the country) and at a loose end only to find a handful of spectators. Even quite big meetings like a couple of weeks back with a certain Valentino Rossi in the GT race didn't attract as big a crowd like I can remember in the 90s, and in the 60s you had a job to get a decent place to watch from and would almost pee yourself rather than lose your place at the fence
I am fully aware that back in the 60s & 70s not a lot of places were open on a Sunday as they weren't allowed to by law, but churches were and car racing on ovals and "proper" circuits were as well, so as far as I was concerned there was no choice. When the Sunday opening law was changed in 1994 it altered things and a lot of people didn't go to watch unless a part of their families were involved. Motor racing has always been expensive but probably not as it is now unfortunately?
Most clubbie meetings have more drivers than spectators so someone has to pay for the tracks and we know who !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old Today, 03:26 (Ref:4209768)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Lack of disposable income is a significant factor for competitors and spectators alike.
Prices for most things have also generally risen over the last couple of years.
There too many meetings still being organised.
All of this combined means people are having to choose what they do and where they go more carefully.
It's all bound to.be having an effect.
Old Today, 07:39 (Ref:4209792)   #12
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe is the exception. Big crowds for club meetings are routine. Why? It’s welcoming, it’s friendly, it’s cheap, it’s full of variety, it has its own local heroes. And, oh by the way, you can actually see the cars on the track. Catch fencing, one make racing and large run offs have killed the sport elsewhere.
Old Today, 10:48 (Ref:4209815)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Castle Combe is the exception. Big crowds for club meetings are routine. Why? It’s welcoming, it’s friendly, it’s cheap, it’s full of variety, it has its own local heroes. And, oh by the way, you can actually see the cars on the track. Catch fencing, one make racing and large run offs have killed the sport elsewhere.
Agreed on the last paragraph as Brands and others are now covered in catch fencing, however is this trying to make tracks "squeaky safe" all to do with this trend of the "blame culture" & "no win no fee" effect that has come about in latter years ?
The latest is the Shane Byrne case that is on at the moment. He crashed and injured himself at Snetterton and said that it effectively put an end to his motorcycle racing career, claiming that the track didn't have the correct crash barrier in place at the time and is looking for a lot of money ! It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old Today, 11:51 (Ref:4209828)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's unsurprising that this meeting is poorly subscribed given there's been the Spa and Monaco Classics in recent weeks. ERL at Spa had to be split apparently as there were so many entries.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old Today, 11:56 (Ref:4209829)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Agreed on the last paragraph as Brands and others are now covered in catch fencing, however is this trying to make tracks "squeaky safe" all to do with this trend of the "blame culture" & "no win no fee" effect that has come about in latter years ?
The latest is the Shane Byrne case that is on at the moment. He crashed and injured himself at Snetterton and said that it effectively put an end to his motorcycle racing career, claiming that the track didn't have the correct crash barrier in place at the time and is looking for a lot of money ! It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
This is probably off topic but there is something in what you say Gordon. Photographers have to ensure that any photos they get of accidents that have resulted in injury (or worse) are handed to the authorities immediately. Obviously this means downloading them or handing over memory cards.

Silverstone has recently increased the height of its fencing and I understand the ACO at Le Mans is planning on putting a grandstand at the Porsche Curves. If they do, they have to re homologate the circuit, which you can bet means higher fences.
Old Today, 13:00 (Ref:4209835)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Was really looking forward to going to this meeting but with those entries i cant justify the entry prices - £26 Saturday & £30 Sunday.
That's pretty much my thinking - for those grids it's not worth it. Shame as it's one of the events I look out for at the start of the year and the endurance legends have been pretty good when I've seen them up until now.
Old Today, 14:51 (Ref:4209852)   #17
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What puts me off going to Brands is the number of safety cars it seems to generate. The last 2 years' HSCC meetings were appallingly blighted.