Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 11 Aug 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3994816)   #1026
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just been looking at another le mans site(still look but will never post there again) and there local guru is saying the ACO is having serious problems with marshals and if France continues to see rising cases of covid, then if not enough marshals then the race may be in trouble. Eric have you heard anything?
Old 11 Aug 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3994843)   #1027
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Particularly (as I understand it) as 'foreign' marshals have been released...

So there's another local guru other than Eric?
Old 11 Aug 2020, 21:00 (Ref:3994846)   #1028
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
If he is correct then the lack of qualified marshals is very much a problem
Old 12 Aug 2020, 07:40 (Ref:3994895)   #1029
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really hope that this problem is sorted in due course, but things really need to pick up there
Old 12 Aug 2020, 08:15 (Ref:3994897)   #1030
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It sounds like they are trying to keep the number of marshals to a minimum rather than having trouble finding people (I can't see there being a shortage even if it is being limited to French residents - I'm sure attending every year is as much a tradition to the marshalling fraternity as it us spectators)

Edit to add: as has been the case at UK club meetings with limited marshals, any incident beyond the most simple issue causes safety cars and red flags, so expect the 24hrs to be similarly impacted.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 09:43 (Ref:3994907)   #1031
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Part of the problem could be that marshals are also required for the tour de france, and the date is not helpful to french marshals, the fact that some post have seen a drop in numbers confirmed down to almost zero. The volume of marshals required for the 13km of track is not small ~(several thousand i think)
Old 12 Aug 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3994924)   #1032
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Part of the problem could be that marshals are also required for the tour de france, and the date is not helpful to french marshals, the fact that some post have seen a drop in numbers confirmed down to almost zero. The volume of marshals required for the 13km of track is not small ~(several thousand i think)
This really depends on the type of marshals we are talking about.
Track marshals (like myself, although not a Le Mans) is trained and licensed people and not "simple" volunteers.
I have a hard time seeing how their training is relevant for a bike race, so only if they have a higher passion for the bike race, then their focus will change.

If we are talking track marshals, then I am not surprised that this is becoming an issue. Quite a lot of marshal posts are fully or partially staffed by international marshals. The high level of the 24h of Le Mans also dictates that the marshals signing up carries a higher level of training and a decent amount of experience to be eligible.
With a general issue in motorsport of getting new volunteers and the old, quite frankly, dying off. I could see that ACO will have difficulties getting enough track marshals from France alone with a sufficient licens level and experience.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 21:12 (Ref:3995291)   #1033
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Just been announced that France is now on the list of quarantine countries

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53773914
Old 13 Aug 2020, 21:37 (Ref:3995294)   #1034
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suspect the entire race will be off.
Old 14 Aug 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3995337)   #1035
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I seriously doubt that....
Old 14 Aug 2020, 08:40 (Ref:3995341)   #1036
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We've got this weekend at Spa to get through first
Old 14 Aug 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3995344)   #1037
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yes lets enjoy Spa and then see what happens, no one knows how things will develop

It will be what it will be
Old 14 Aug 2020, 15:10 (Ref:3995407)   #1038
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Just got my credit not from the Tourist Office. Just the ticket price, 5% service cost was not refunded.
Old 14 Aug 2020, 16:34 (Ref:3995420)   #1039
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
*credit note
Old 14 Aug 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3995421)   #1040
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Just got my credit not from the Tourist Office. Just the ticket price, 5% service cost was not refunded.
Not had anything from the ACO yet
Old 15 Aug 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3995506)   #1041
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm feeling seriously deflated about the whole business. Although going 'closed doors' came as no surprise, I had tried to stay as upbeat as I could about the prospects of getting there, even though I feared that if I did, the experience was not likely to be particularly pleasurable, with limited movement, masked up most (if not all) of the time and with the threat (now reality) of quarantine on return home. I'm struggling to get excited about sitting here at home watching it on the TV.....
Old 16 Aug 2020, 09:41 (Ref:3995691)   #1042
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Yup me too.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 18:42 (Ref:3996046)   #1043
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm feeling seriously deflated about the whole business. Although going 'closed doors' came as no surprise, I had tried to stay as upbeat as I could about the prospects of getting there, even though I feared that if I did, the experience was not likely to be particularly pleasurable, with limited movement, masked up most (if not all) of the time and with the threat (now reality) of quarantine on return home. I'm struggling to get excited about sitting here at home watching it on the TV.....
I feel you. Obviously I haven't been to even close to the amount of Le Mans that you have been to. Closest that I can come to is Sebring. I had gone for several years in a row and then decided to skip when it was obvious the Daytona Prototype would be the winner (wasn't interested in seeing that two years in a row). So while it was weird to skip and not be there (thinking about all the things I would have normally been doing at that time), once the race actually started I focused on the benefits of watching from home. First and foremost, I don't care what you do at the track, unless you're watching from a trackside hot tub, or a posh hospitality unit, you're never going to be as comfortable as you will be at home. Then there's just being able to follow the race that much easier on TV. Sure you can have headphones on and know what's going on, but unless you stay in your grandstand seat across from a screen the whole time you'll miss something. Which then leads to the benefit of being able to quickly get up and to the kitchen for a snack, and not being price gouged to do it. Just make sure you have all the supplies on hand that you'll want during the race.

I know it's hard, but try not to dwell on the sad, disappointing parts, try looking at the benefits. Also then remind yourself that (hopefully) this is a one-off, just an odd ball, experimental year. What should make it easier too is just knowing that nobody can be there (short of locals or rule breakers), it's completely out of your control.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 19:10 (Ref:3996049)   #1044
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
yep we are all rather down beat about things but hey ho will will be there next year as long as we are alive and they let us attend. so best foot forward and let the planning commence.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 02:06 (Ref:3996111)   #1045
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Chin up.

It’s properly sucks.

Let’s all watch it together. Getting Radio Le Mans sync’ed. Although maybe we can listen to the no commentary feed on Eurosport and get some dodgy headphones to get the experience. Drink from those plastic cups we saved. Eating some dodgy sausage. I might even get out the camping chairs. Post some old photos now we can upload again. I might even drive 500 odd miles and get back to my house before it starts.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 07:43 (Ref:3996147)   #1046
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just about to cancel the Mon-Wed portion of my time off work.

Hopefully I can put the days to better use later in the year.

I'm also trying to look for the positives, the compressed format this year should make TV viewing better and the Hyperpole session could be an interesting change.

If we can get a group of people together for the weekend to watch the race then there should be some of the usual comradeship.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3996152)   #1047
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
I'm just about to cancel the Mon-Wed portion of my time off work.

Hopefully I can put the days to better use later in the year.

I'm also trying to look for the positives, the compressed format this year should make TV viewing better and the Hyperpole session could be an interesting change.

If we can get a group of people together for the weekend to watch the race then there should be some of the usual comradeship.
But to keep it authentic, you will all have to keep social distanced, wear masks, and then go into 2 weeks isolation afterwards
Old 18 Aug 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3996247)   #1048
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I just got my credit note from the ACO. I can use it up to 31st May next year to buy 2021 tickets. Interestingly, if I don't use it by then, on 1st Jun I'll be refunded the full amount. No complaints about that, seems perfectly fair.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 17:19 (Ref:3996267)   #1049
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So had you asked for that before the race went closed doors?
Old 18 Aug 2020, 17:32 (Ref:3996270)   #1050
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So had you asked for that before the race went closed doors?
Got the same and no I said I would transfer to Sept. When the new changes happened they defaulted to this.
Closed Thread