Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:44 (Ref:2765420)   #326
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
JB's overtaking abilities are without doubt. Whereas........

Button need only worry about Hamilton, but he doesn't strike me as someone who is worrying about much at all at the moment.

I also think that it's wholly possible that Button would be doing a better job than Vettel is currently doing in the Red Bull.
Nah, i'd agree with that wholeheartedly. But then one could argue that the current World Champion (whose been in F1 for 11 years) should beat a driver whose been in F1 for 2 and a half years.

Selby
Old 27 Sep 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2765436)   #327
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I still think Hamilton's the best, by a whisker. If he was maximising his pace potential almost straight away in 2007, then we can see that he is at least as quick as the Ferrari number 1.

His errors recently stem partly from being in a slightly inferior car and the team making a curious strategy decision in Singapore. He shouldn't have even been behind Webber to make the error he made in the overtake.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2765520)   #328
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Born Racer, definitely you need to change your avatar... is scaring !
Old 27 Sep 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2765586)   #329
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haha, that's the second request I've had to that effect, Bononi.

Just what do you think Kobayashi is thinking in that picture?
Old 27 Sep 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2765623)   #330
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
".... and dont mention Schumacher or I will scream"
Old 27 Sep 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2765665)   #331
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Pedlo! Why you thwow blake carriper at reg?!
Old 27 Sep 2010, 22:24 (Ref:2765799)   #332
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Haha, that's the second request I've had to that effect, Bononi.

Well, I think he's trying so hard to do something...
Old 27 Sep 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2765808)   #333
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I know what you mean. I thought the same.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2765999)   #334
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
"Do crabs think we walk sideways?"
Old 28 Sep 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2766068)   #335
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Teflonso is probably the best all round driver in F1 at the moment. Hamilton is not that far behind, but I think he is lacking Fernando's experience and his strategic knowledge. I think Hamilton is the best at overtaking(not withstanding his crashes in the last two races) and also the best wet weather driver at the moment(his 2008 British Grand Prix drive was amazing). For qualifying I think Vettel might be the strongest at it(although he does currently have the best car at the moment, maybe next year we will be able to gauge his qualifying performance more accurately).
Old 28 Sep 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2766071)   #336
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I tend to switch between Alonso and Hamilton. For the bulk of this season I'd have said Hamilton was the best, but all it takes is a couple of mistakes from him and a couple of top performances from Alonso and I start to change my mind.

Those two are leagues ahead though, in my opinion, with little to split them.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2766076)   #337
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I tend to switch between Alonso and Hamilton. For the bulk of this season I'd have said Hamilton was the best, but all it takes is a couple of mistakes from him and a couple of top performances from Alonso and I start to change my mind.

Those two are leagues ahead though, in my opinion, with little to split them.
I agree. Alonso especially in the last 5 races is showing his Renault form again. But I think Hamilton is now atleast comparable to Alonso which I don't think was the case even in 2008 when he won the title as at the time I still thought Alonso was the best.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2766082)   #338
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I find it hard to pick either one as the "complete" driver, quicker maybe, but not complete. Previous mistakes (and 'miss-takes') from both of them this season could cost them dearly.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2766084)   #339
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
What is a complete driver? Has there ever been a complete driver? All drivers are human beings and they suffer fluctuations in performance along with occasional errors.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2766090)   #340
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
What is a complete driver? Has there ever been a complete driver? All drivers are human beings and they suffer fluctuations in performance along with occasional errors.
^ Good point.

Now I think about it, how many drivers really have 'everything'? Drivers like Alonso sacrifice a little bit of raw pace and overtaking prowess for consistency, and drivers like Hamilton pull off the more daring moves at the risk and occasionally cost of their race.

It's the old Senna vs Prost argument. Two slightly different approaches, two great drivers, but neither one really the complete package.

I do think we have a 'complete' in the field, and that's Button. But he suffers a little from being a Jack of all trades, master of few that stops him reaching the heights of Lewis and Fernando.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2766218)   #341
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think Button is complete, once the car is off the sweet spot he loses out much more than many.

He is simply very experienced and patient.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2766243)   #342
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There's Alonso, Lewis and then quite a gap to the rest in terms of outright ability to drive a racing car consistently quickly and consistently cleverly.

I've long held a suspicion that Webber is as good as he's now proving to be so I might well put him at the top of best of the rest along with Kubica, Vettel, Button and I would've said Massa but he's dropped off big time.

Timo Glock to my mind is at least the equal of the likes of Nico, Sutil, Kovalainen and Rubens in a kind of 3rd division but like Barrichello, Glock could quite easily give everyone in the second tier a very hard time in the right car.

I've deliberately left Schuey out of this as it would be unfair on him!!
Old 28 Sep 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2766259)   #343
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nico Rosberg is more talented and skilled than JB. Its unfair to put him in the third tier category and JB in the second. Both are second rate, however NR is towards the top while JB is towards the bottom
Old 28 Sep 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2766270)   #344
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Nico Rosberg is more talented and skilled than JB. Its unfair to put him in the third tier category and JB in the second. Both are second rate, however NR is towards the top while JB is towards the bottom
I'm glad that's just your opinion.

They're all a much of a muchness IMO.

It's the same when people try comparing guitarists or drummers, only they don't get involved in world championships to try and see which one actually is better.

It's all just perception.

I've just read an article about why one journalist thinks that a certain driver is performing poorly. What utter dross!
Old 28 Sep 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2766284)   #345
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I've just read an article about why one journalist thinks that a certain driver is performing poorly. What utter dross!
Yes it is about perception for all of us and that's exactly the same for team managers and so called experts. A lot of people don't know what they're looking at or understand why it's happening though.

In fact most people only believe what they read or hear, or see on the box and that's not just for F1!!!

Ooh that article....

Go on then, give us a clue???
Old 28 Sep 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2766290)   #346
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I'm sorry, I've seen nothing to prove to me that Rosberg is better than Button. Rosberg is good, but not as good as JB just yet. There is time for him to improve though and he has been good this season.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2766293)   #347
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Button has done very well this season, possibly even better than in 2009, but he can't hold a candle to Hamilton.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2766298)   #348
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

They're all a much of a muchness IMO.

It's the same when people try comparing guitarists or drummers, only they don't get involved in world championships to try and see which one actually is better.

Well, I'm here to discuss and exchange ideas, thats what forums is for right? Almost all of my posts are exactly that, my ideas and opinions.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2766312)   #349
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think it's a bit of a stretch to place Rosberg, a man without a win to his name, ahead of Button, a World Champion who has scored victories for three different teams. The coming years might prove you right though, who knows?
Old 28 Sep 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2766329)   #350
Wims
Veteran

Norway
I did make a post about why I considered Rosberg to be more talented than JB, then I moved it into my previous post as I had posted a double post without noticing it, but it appear to not have been saved properly. So I'll have to post again I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
I'm sorry, I've seen nothing to prove to me that Rosberg is better than Button. Rosberg is good, but not as good as JB just yet. There is time for him to improve though and he has been good this season.
Well, he has been thrashing the 7 time world champion this season, and he have put a car which is basically a 2009 Brawn with minor updates on the podium several races this season. Remember that the 2010 Merc didnt receive any sort of development during the 2009 season as Brawn did not have any funds and the little they had they had to spend on the 2009 car to ensure them winning the championship. If Rosberg is able to put a 2009 car on the podium this year, imagine what he'll be able to do in 2011 when he'll have a properly funded and developed Merc.

BTW Button didnt have any wins either until he won in 2006, a bunch of years into his F1 career. Infact, he was almost out of work. I guess this just goes to show exactly how important it is to have the proper equipment to be able to perform in F1. And possibly that the performance level of the drivers are alot closer than the results indicate.

Feels like i forgot some of the most important points in my previous post, I'll add them later if they pop back into my head.