Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Sep 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2766382)   #351
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I tend to switch between Alonso and Hamilton. For the bulk of this season I'd have said Hamilton was the best, but all it takes is a couple of mistakes from him and a couple of top performances from Alonso and I start to change my mind.

Those two are leagues ahead though, in my opinion, with little to split them.
Don't disregard Kubica.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 05:22 (Ref:2766430)   #352
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Don't disregard Kubica.
He's done a great job for Renault, shame their development hasn't kept up but that's part of no more on-season testing. Whose idea was that?
Old 29 Sep 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2766455)   #353
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He's done a great job for Renault, shame their development hasn't kept up but that's part of no more on-season testing. Whose idea was that?
You can develop the car as much as you like, but you can only test it during pre-race practice sessions and on the simulators. It's the same for everyone....if you have the cash.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 07:32 (Ref:2766458)   #354
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
but he can't hold a candle to Hamilton.
Hamilton seems to be doing his best to put his own out.

I don't think that there's much to seperate them in truth. It's hardly the 'white-wash' that many were predicting.

I'll still stand by my thinking that second only to Vettel, Hamilton is more likely than any of the other championship protaganists to be involved in a race incident or rules infraction.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2766464)   #355
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Button has done very well this season, possibly even better than in 2009, but he can't hold a candle to Hamilton.
there in the same cars and they are separated by 5 points, which is the difference between first and 2nd in a race

I think the candle has been well and truly held to him
Old 29 Sep 2010, 08:31 (Ref:2766479)   #356
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah but look deeper. On a normal race weekend Hamilton has pretty much always been running ahead of Jenson, often comfortably.

Only really at Monza has Button had the measure of Lewis in the dry. And even then we didn't get a proper chance to see.

That 5 point gap is far less than Lewis really deserves IMO.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2766481)   #357
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
there in the same cars and they are separated by 5 points, which is the difference between first and 2nd in a race
I would have said that that was more due to Hamilton not scoring as many points as expected than Button scoring more. Hamilton has lost points in Spain and Hungary due to car failure before you even consider his mistake at Monza and the collision with Webber. In most races and qualifying sessions, he has comfortably had the measure of Button, who as far as I can recall has only had one reliability issue all year (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 29 Sep 2010, 08:36 (Ref:2766482)   #358
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love it when people use terms like "second rate" when describing drivers in the top third of the best twenty or so racing drivers in the world.

Who's the best? It varies as younger drivers develop and older ones decline, with a few fluctuations in form in between.

In my opinion, head and shoulders above the rest and finally proving it is Alonso.

Next are the two McLaren Brits, with Button still holding an edge over a rapidly improving Hamilton - it's now so tight that I think the last few races of the season will decide who still has that edge by the end.

Next, for this season alone and on the back of some brilliant drives is Webber. But I can't help thinking he'll turn out to be a one hit wonder and be eclipsed by younger drivers next year.

Then it's Vettel, who probably by virtue of little more than the equipment he has enjoys an edge over a handful of other up and coming stars such as Kubica and Rosberg. Make no doubt about it, these guys are good, and will NOT be living in Hamilton's shadow when they've gained a little more experience and get the right equipment.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2766496)   #359
nickj
Rookie

nickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Alonso is currently the most complete driver in F1. Don't like the guy but in my opinion he has it over the other drivers in terms of performance and speed. Hamilton is a bloody good driver but he is young and I reckon get to the level that Alonso is at.
Great season of F1 though - loving it !
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:14 (Ref:2766501)   #360
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
he has comfortably had the measure of Button
"comfortably" ?

It's certainly not 'Kovalainen comfortably'.

4 races to go and from here I know who my money would be on if holding it together under pressure really mattered. Vettel and Hamilton can both be put to the bottom of that list IMO.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2766505)   #361
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, comfortably. Not to the extent that he had the beating of Kovalainen, but comfortably nonetheless.

I think it's unfair on Hamilton to suggest that he can't cope under pressure - I would say he was under a great deal of pressure in 2008 and pulled out the result he needed to win the title. I would put the Red Bull drivers bottom of your list as far as ability to hack the pressure goes - both of them have been known to suffer from the descent of the red mist when things aren't going their way.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2766509)   #362
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Next, for this season alone and on the back of some brilliant drives is Webber. But I can't help thinking he'll turn out to be a one hit wonder and be eclipsed by younger drivers next year.
That's what the experts said last year...
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2766511)   #363
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I think it's unfair on Hamilton to suggest that he can't cope under pressure - I would say he was under a great deal of pressure in 2008 and pulled out the result he needed to win the title.
Well, actually he and the team blew it.

If the Toyota drivers hadn't both lost their bearings in the wet and accidentally selected reverse gear, Lewis was screwed.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2766517)   #364
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I'm not sure that was pressure - I rather wonder whether he was a bit too relaxed in just going for the result he needed rather than giving himself a bit more breathing space. Still, he only had one opportunity to pass Glock in difficult conditions, and it would have been easy for him to go sailing off the track.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2766518)   #365
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Yup, he showed the signs in the Jag and then has been steadily getting quicker and better in 08 and 09, in fact got the rough end of the stick last season when it mattered only to prove himself all over again in Brazil.

I think Webber's early F1 career mirrored someone like Frentzen's - massive promise, except unlike Frentzen Webbo has gone on to deliver properly whereas Heinz bottled.

This year Webber has simply underlined how good he is and I have little doubt that he'll continue to challenge as long as he stays in F1.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:50 (Ref:2766519)   #366
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is he the guy that has clattered into his rivals in the last 2 races and chucked away bucket loads of secure points ?
Old 29 Sep 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2766523)   #367
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Is he the guy that has clattered into his rivals in the last 2 races and chucked away bucket loads of secure points ?
Webber hit someone yes, but I suspect you're not referring to him!!
Old 29 Sep 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2766536)   #368
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Don't disregard Kubica.
I like Kubica a lot but I'd hesitate to put him up there with Hamilton and Alonso yet. I'd love to see him in a truly competitive car.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 10:52 (Ref:2766540)   #369
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I like Kubica a lot but I'd hesitate to put him up there with Hamilton and Alonso yet. I'd love to see him in a truly competitive car.
Yeah know what you mean. He has the potential to join them, but so do a handful of others. We can only ever be sure of a drivers worth when they get their hands on a truly race winning car and as we know there's only ever one or two of them (this season excepted!!) and more people don't get that chance than do.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2766544)   #370
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yeah know what you mean. He has the potential to join them, but so do a handful of others. We can only ever be sure of a drivers worth when they get their hands on a truly race winning car and as we know there's only ever one or two of them (this season excepted!!) and more people don't get that chance than do.
I agree.

Fisichella, for me, always looked excellent. I always wanted to see him in a front-running car. When he got there, he was lacklustre, showing only the occasional glimpse of magic. That's why I hesitate to include drivers who look special amongst those who've proved themselves to be special. I do love Kubica though. He's a proper racer, with no regard for the BS that comes with it. I'd say he's replaced Raikkonen as my personal favourite this year.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2766553)   #371
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

I think the candle has been well and truly held to him
Points, points, points. I personally am talking about pace. It's funny how many people really rate Button now when so many knocked him until 2009 and he was in their 'third tier' or lower category. Maybe he has improved; in fact, I think he has, but people are over-estimating his pace. Hamilton is plain faster. I guess it depends what we mean by 'best'.

Button has to have a car handling well to perform. Hamilton can usually perform with any car you put in front of him.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2766555)   #372
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
And that's what happened last year.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2766556)   #373
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
you mean like last year BR. now i know the rose coloured glasses are on
Old 29 Sep 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2766569)   #374
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Button has to have a car handling well to perform. Hamilton can usually perform with any car you put in front of him.
I don't know about 'any' car - when the McLaren was at its worst in the early part of last season, it was actually Kovalainen who was more adept at dealing with its deficiencies, especially in qualifying. But I do agree with you that Hamilton is more capable of dragging results out of a difficult car than Button is. Button is untouchable when his car is perfect but starts to look average if the car isn't totally to his liking, as we saw last season.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2766571)   #375
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Button's come on as a driver no question otherwise he wouldn't have held on for that one and only WDC last year..... oops bit presumptious perhaps!

But let's not forget that other than taking on Ralfie boy bretty well in 2000, Jense never exactly got on top of a teammate from Fisichella, Trulli, Villeneuve or Rubinho.

Hamilton on the other hand gave Alonso a scare in season 1 and hasn't really been worried by anyone.