Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2767096)   #401
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think you'd have to add "insufferable moaner" to Alonso's list of cons. Even when he's not happy about something, Hamilton doesn't tend to whinge the way Alonso does. For example, if the roles had been reversed in Valencia I think Hamilton would have just got on with the job instead of obsessing over whether another driver should have been given a penalty earlier.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 30 Sep 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2767104)   #402
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I think you'd have to add "insufferable moaner" to Alonso's list of cons. Even when he's not happy about something, Hamilton doesn't tend to whinge the way Alonso does. For example, if the roles had been reversed in Valencia I think Hamilton would have just got on with the job instead of obsessing over whether another driver should have been given a penalty earlier.
Possibly yes. However Lewis has already shown in various pit to car calls in recent years that he is right up there in the moaning stakes, difference is I think his sounds more critical than complaining.

Mind you I think it's right that a top driver questions decisions - they're the ones driving the things.

Sometimes though I think that they forget or maybe don't care who's listening!
Old 30 Sep 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2767111)   #403
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I hope you will be able to live with it if Alonso wins the title, because I'm beginning to think that's what might happen. He's not my preferred choice either, but that doesn't make any difference, sadly.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2767121)   #404
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm trying to prepare myself for Alonso winning, but it's difficult.

If the McLaren drivers can't do it, I really hope Webber or Vettel wins the world championship. I was so glad when Mark Webber didn't go out after the accident.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2767124)   #405
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I for one will be over the moon and celebrating a fine victory in unlikely circumstances when Alonso wins it. I couldn't have dreamt of a Ferrari win early in the season.

It'll be all the sweeter if it's by just a few points over Hamilton, so he knows that he only has himself to blame.

As for good and bad qualities, ALL drivers moan ALL the time - it's how they get their way. It's just that some have learnt to do it more privately most of the time so that the occasional public moan carries more force.

What Alonso needs to remember is not to take that moaning to a level where his sulking affects his performance, as happened (in circumstances more of the team's making than his) at McLaren.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2767126)   #406
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
It'll be all the sweeter if it's by just a few points over Hamilton, so he knows that he only has himself to blame.
But if its by less than 7 controversy will be writhe again
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2767129)   #407
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
But if its by less than 7 controversy will be writhe again
True. That'll be another two fingers waved in the direction of the Ferrari haters then....
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2767138)   #408
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Or so that he knows he and the Ferrari team are uncompromising cheats.

Quote:
in circumstances more of the team's making than his) at McLaren.
Love it- Fernando Teflonso, one of the chief architects of Spygate, the man who knew all about it and was actively trying to use the stolen information to cheat was not a part of those circumstances.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2767139)   #409
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Ferrari haters
Ferrari make it oh-so-easy to hate them.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:43 (Ref:2767140)   #410
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire

I know I'm not going to impact your conspiracy ridden world, but my memory must be fading. I could have sworn it was the McLaren team that were found guilty of cheating.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2767144)   #411
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Ferrari make it oh-so-easy to hate them.
Anyone who truly "hates" a sports team really needs to get out more.

However, the vain self-righteousness of McLaren and their (and Hamilton's) fans does make it oh-so-easy to laugh at them.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2767145)   #412
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Was Alonso not part of the McLaren team then? Your recollection of events is selective.

Did or did not Alonso try to use that information in e-mails with the also uninnocent Pedro de la Rosa? Did he or did he not also get immunity so that Max Mosley could punish Dennis (like Piquet got immunity when he wanted to punish Briatore)?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2767146)   #413
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:

However, the vain self-righteousness of McLaren
That made me chuckle. Ferrari and Teflonso showed a great deal of self-righteousness at Hockenheim and Valencia. Valencia "Ooh no, poor me, Hamilton got a penalty and it wasn't enough. Hamilton got away scott free. Punish him and ignore the fact my race was crap".
Old 30 Sep 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2767149)   #414
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
We're both selective then.

I can't help thinking Alonso's flaws (of which there are many in terms of his character) have much to do with the man who brought him into F1 and managed him for so many years. With luck, Ferrari will beat some of that out of him and teach him a little more about respect.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 14:15 (Ref:2767166)   #415
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
What Alonso needs to remember is not to take that moaning to a level where his sulking affects his performance, as happened (in circumstances more of the team's making than his) at McLaren.
That's not going to happen at Ferrari because he's the centre of attention and that seems to be what needs.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2767180)   #416
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He didn't exactly do himself any favours. Trying to blackmail your boss isn't generally a good way to get your colleagues on side.

For me it's all the distasteful things Alonso has been involved in that sour my opinion of him - there was the blackmail, the race-fixing (which I remain convinced that he must have known about), the blatant team orders...and that's before you take into account his incessant whining. His talent isn't in question, but his character is, and I can't look at one without considering the other.
You totally missed my point tho, the point was that its hard to beat your team mate when the team is working against you. Also, I wouldnt say that blackmailing your boss about a cheating scandal is quite as bad as the cheating itself. McLaren brought that on themselves, Alonso didnt bring it on them
Old 30 Sep 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2767201)   #417
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
That's not going to happen at Ferrari because he's the centre of attention and that seems to be what needs.
Yeah, and even in Hockhenheim he managed to throw a hissy fit and say "this is ridiculous" on the radio to get the team to bend over backwards for him.

The fact he isn't prepared to take on a driver in equal conditions may not affect some people's perceptions of him. Some people will proclaim him as great this year if he wins the title, three-times WC, etc and will either turn a blind eye to or not care about this aspect of his character. And they will be happy with that. But for many of us, the way he is sullies our perceptions of him and rightfully so. Look at Schumacher- so much written about him has always been 'seven-times world champion BUT'. That 'but' refers to his on-track ethics.

Alonso's racecraft ethics are pretty good from what I've seen (a hard but fair racer), doing a few chops recently but then lots of them do that, but it's his off-track character and way he sets the team up around him that damages his reputation.

For that alone, and it's no minor point, he is not the best driver in F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
the point was that its hard to beat your team mate when the team is working against you.
In what way did the team work against him? As we know, his relationship with Ron Dennis was in tatters at the point you mention, but how did his team work against him? You are not being specific enough.

Quote:
Also, I wouldnt say that blackmailing your boss about a cheating scandal is quite as bad as the cheating itself. McLaren brought that on themselves, Alonso didnt bring it on them
He played a part, a very central part in bringing it upon them. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he was trying to use this data. He and De la Rosa were sending e-mails back and forth about the information they had. I fail to understand how this does not implicate Alonso.

And he got away with it. One of many examples in which he's been like Teflon.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2767210)   #418
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
You mean he played a central part in exposing McLaren's cheating.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2767223)   #419
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he was the mysterious Mr X in crashgate.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2767228)   #420
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Only after his blackmailing didn't work and the team wouldn't make him the number 1 driver. In other words, he was happy to be involved in the cheating until he couldn't get his way. Only then did he decide to reveal anything. Yes, he did play a central part in exposing McLaren's cheating but if we need examples of how a driver is part of the team, this is great one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all. That they didn't name Mr X must have been for a reason. Perhaps the F.I.A. figured it would have been seen as too damaging to Alonso's reputation if they revealed that embarrassingly Teflonso had been offered immunity twice.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2767245)   #421
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You totally missed my point tho, the point was that its hard to beat your team mate when the team is working against you.
The point that both I and Born Racer were making is that if indeed his team was working against him (which I highly doubt), there's no evidence of that until the relationship between him and Ron Dennis had completely broken down, which was entirely Alonso's fault. However, I remain convinced that McLaren gave Alonso absolutely equal opportunities to win right up until the end of the season, and that it was his obsession with the team's supposed pro-Hamilton bias that cost him the title.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 30 Sep 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2767329)   #422
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's always been a lot of talk about how McLaren have been built around Lewis and how he was Ron Dennis's protege and this 'obsession' was how Alonso perceived the situation?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2767352)   #423
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
No, the name did come out at the time. It may have been Alan Permane. Alonso was distancing himself from the whole thing as fast as he could.

Last edited by strider; 30 Sep 2010 at 18:47.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2767353)   #424
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The point that both I and Born Racer were making is that if indeed his team was working against him (which I highly doubt), there's no evidence of that until the relationship between him and Ron Dennis had completely broken down, which was entirely Alonso's fault. However, I remain convinced that McLaren gave Alonso absolutely equal opportunities to win right up until the end of the season, and that it was his obsession with the team's supposed pro-Hamilton bias that cost him the title.
As much as I admire Lewis remember the first rumblings of team orders that season came from the Hamilton camp not Alonso's when Hamilton said he wasn't allowed to win at Monaco ahead of Alonso.

I thought Lewis had no chance to win that race anyway because Alonso drove brilliantly but IIRC rather than praising Alonso's drive I remember Dennis went down the route of defending Hamilton with quotes which created the illusion that Hamilton in effect let Alonso win. Now for a 2 time world champion who has just joined a team and won serenely at Monaco this must have been galling especially since Alonso is a character that needs to be appreciated. All round bad man management from Ron and Hamilton himself wasn't blameless either. You can see why Alonso got the impression that Ron preferred Hamilton.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2767367)   #425
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
As much as I admire Lewis remember the first rumblings of team orders that season came from the Hamilton camp not Alonso's when Hamilton said he wasn't allowed to win at Monaco ahead of Alonso.

I thought Lewis had no chance to win that race anyway because Alonso drove brilliantly but IIRC rather than praising Alonso's drive I remember Dennis went down the route of defending Hamilton with quotes which created the illusion that Hamilton in effect let Alonso win. Now for a 2 time world champion who has just joined a team and won serenely at Monaco this must have been galling especially since Alonso is a character that needs to be appreciated. All round bad man management from Ron and Hamilton himself wasn't blameless either. You can see why Alonso got the impression that Ron preferred Hamilton.
I don't recall Ron creating the illusion that Hamilton let Alonso win as such, Hamilton did say some slightly stroppy stuff about himself being the number 2 driver and having number 2 on the car; I was reading the Autosport Monaco Grand Prix report the other day. I'll dig it out again later and take a look.