Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Jun 2002, 13:11 (Ref:312625)   #1
sarahkavanagh
Rookie

sarahkavanagh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your questions answered

Hi Folks,

I have noticed that people here have been speculating about my career and what's going on, and nobody has been here to give the right answers.

Well now that I have just got ADSL, I'm a lot more interested in what's going on on the web, and finally I'm not at the mercy of the 56K modem.

I have joined the members list here, as it IS the best web forum, and I would like to invite anyone to ask me any questions you would like, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Best regards,

Sarah Kavanagh
http://www.sarahkavanagh.com
Attached Thumbnails
sarah_barrier.jpg  
Old 13 Jun 2002, 13:32 (Ref:312655)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Yeah ADSL ROCKS!!!

You doing the Euroboss @ Mondello at the end of June?

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 13 Jun 2002 at 13:32.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 14:07 (Ref:312678)   #3
sarahkavanagh
Rookie

Well to be honest, I couldn't be bothered with the web very much till I got it.

Mondello? I don't know. I'm being pushed by the organisers to do it but I don't think so. There's actually no real reason for me to do that race. I think I'll keep my engine mileage for a race that adds something in some way (like experience, profile, sponsorship, exposure etc).

I'm up for the rest of the EuroBOSS though, unless you want to buy my Jordan!!

regards,

Sarah
Old 13 Jun 2002, 15:11 (Ref:312730)   #4
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Sarah, welcome aboard.

What's with all the gossip earlier this year, connecting you to an F1 drive then?
Old 13 Jun 2002, 15:47 (Ref:312754)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were speculating about your career? I do have a few questions though. Are you still slow and are you still deluded into thinking you're going to break into proper F1?
Old 13 Jun 2002, 16:00 (Ref:312766)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charming I must say.
Why don't you come of the fence Russfeld and say what you really mean..........
Old 13 Jun 2002, 16:02 (Ref:312768)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a bit harsh Russfeld - you have to have some goals in life, whether they are near or distant. Although I agree it is unlikely (sorry Sarah), at least you have ambition, and are trying to make your break, and I think you deserve respect for that!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 16:17 (Ref:312783)   #8
sarahkavanagh
Rookie

Yes Russ, I'm still deluding myself lol. But I ain't slow! But that's what all drivers who make it have to do, and then one day the impossible happens! Just like that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I had an F1 drive lined up, but testing is certainly on the cards and simpy put if I have the pace, you never know.

I've been lucky in that McLaren took an interest in me and following a heavy fitness test and a comparison run with Carlin in an F3 car, I've been able to make that information available to other teams.

Clearly McLaren did not have an opening for someone like me at this stage, with an embarrassment of riches in the driver department and all that. But their help has opened many other doors.

At the moment we're just working hard to put together the money for F3000 and we're reasonably confident something will happen in F1 if I can go well in that.

We have been running a test programme in my Jordan 193 to learn some circuits (Eau Rouge in a 3.5 ltr on Slicks is AWESOME! Pulled 4.5G!!) So we're hoping that we can get a seat soon.

Regards,

Sarah
www.sarahkavanagh.com
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:18 (Ref:312830)   #9
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good luck again Sarah. You definitely ain't slow!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 18:18 (Ref:312894)   #10
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Sarah,

I noticed on your web site that you're 29, and Allan McNish is the only driver I can think of that made an F1 debut later than that. He had several years of experience racing at the sharp end in sports cars. What do you have that will get you a drive in F1 so late in your career?
Old 13 Jun 2002, 18:40 (Ref:312901)   #11
sarahkavanagh
Rookie

Well Paul, I've been so long trying that I'm not going to let that stop me at this stage. However all I can say in my defence is that my car is a lot quicker than anything Allan drove before F1. But I understand your point, and Allan cheers me up.

I'm hoping that being a woman (with it's difficulties in this sport) will compensate me later by allowing a late debut due to being a litte interesting. I'm also heartened by the fact that most drivers don't seem to mature or give their best before their 30's.

Of course we're assuming pace is a given lol.

Sarah
www.sarahkavanah.com
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:02 (Ref:312920)   #12
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by sarahkavanagh

Mondello? I don't know. I'm being pushed by the organisers to do it but I don't think so. There's actually no real reason for me to do that race. I think I'll keep my engine mileage for a race that adds something in some way (like experience, profile, sponsorship, exposure etc).

I'm up for the rest of the EuroBOSS though, unless you want to buy my Jordan!!

Yeah I saw it for sale in Autosport. I'll pass thanks - I do a lot better picking up the bits and putting out the fires than driving them!

I'm saddened at your attitude to Mondello though. Whilst I understand that you can't do everything, I would have thought that you would be interested in helping to promote Irish motorsport - particularly for women. There are still sadly few women in Irish motorsport and I'm sure you know better than anyone that the women who do compete can expect that their racing (and everything else about them) will be under far greater scrutiny than a male driver with similar experience. It's heartening for the young women with similar ambitions to yourself to see you out there going for it - despite the Russfelds of the world.

I can count on one hand the number of women that are competing in championship classes in Ireland at the moment. Even in karting the numbers are very low.

Ah well.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:02 (Ref:312921)   #13
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Sarah,

You're definitley right about drivers being at their best in their 30's. Just look at Frentzen, Schumacher, Hill, Hakkinen, Salo.

I really hope you do get to F1, but to do F3000 first (as you mentioned) it's looking like you'll need over £1 million, if the European Minardi Team is anything to go by.

Stateside seems to be much more welcoming to female drivers, with Danica Patrick, Sarah Fisher, Rhonda Trammell, and Sarah Senske all carving out names from themselves from Barber Dodge up to IRL.

Live the dream
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:25 (Ref:312955)   #14
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi sarah,

Don't put yourself down or think you can't do anything.

I think aiming for F1 is realistic, in fact I think every driver who races single seaters should aim for f1 or champ cars that way it gives them something to focus on and work that little bit harder.

Good luck in getting the budget for F3000 and i hope you do well.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:50 (Ref:312981)   #15
sarahkavanagh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin

I'm saddened at your attitude to Mondello though.
I really really have tried to promote young women in motorsport, but I'm hardly the best person to be doing that when I'm struggling myself. Many young women don't seem to want it enough put up with the sheer difficulty of it. Not that they're not hard, they just don't want it that bad.

Regarding Mondello itself, last year I was used by the promoters to put bums on seats (successfully) on a share agreement, we never got paid (shafted/stiffed whatever). This year I was banned from Mondello (who phoned my TV employers RTE) because I didn't pay them £750 for Eircell/Vodafone tickets for that event (who never paid me either). Of course current management deny all knowledge of the split deal....despite my having it on paper.

So basically I had to agree to go out there to Mondello and help with some corporate days down there so that a TV shoot for the RTE Drive programme could go ahead. I haven't done any yet.

Mondello? I don't think so. LOL.

Sarah
www.sarahkavanagh.com
Old 13 Jun 2002, 20:22 (Ref:313019)   #16
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish you good luck in your attempt to get to F1, but i do worry that with only 65 motor races in total under your belt, you are just not experienced enough.

I know people are going to say 'but what about Jenson, he only had something like 30 car races', but the fact is he also had 10 years of karting behind him, which equates to well over 500 race starts.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 20:25 (Ref:313024)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
um correct me if I'm wrong, but Sarah was in karts from the early 90s as well.

What I do think is that a lot of drivers, regardless of gender, have ambitions for F1 - that doesn't mean they'll get a drive though.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 22:55 (Ref:313144)   #18
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you don't get to Formula One, would you consider a career in another area of racing, such as Touring Cars? Or is it single-seaters or nothing for you?
Old 13 Jun 2002, 22:57 (Ref:313145)   #19
sarahkavanagh
Rookie

Thank you Hysen. This topic gets debated over and over on the internet, but rather than point the finger at drivers in F1 with even less experience than I, I would add that these days things anything is possible.

However I esentially agree with you which is why I'm desperate to add F3000 to that list of races. Don't underestimate the value of the miles testing since last August, although we couldn't get dates on some key tracks.

With all due respect very few are qualified to comment on whether I am experienced enough or not (although I'm happier to receive comments from those who've seen me race). I gratefully add three quarters of the F1 team owners to that tally.

Pumkin the sad reality is that *anyone* with an International A license and a bag of money can get a drive in F1, I have worked very hard to be *better* than that.

In the last days of tobacco, you can bet I'll be in a good car, with a good team, and I hope I be doing the business.

Warm regards,

Sarah
www.sarahkavanagh.com
Old 13 Jun 2002, 23:10 (Ref:313153)   #20
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
We were speculating about your career? I do have a few questions though. Are you still slow and are you still deluded into thinking you're going to break into proper F1?
I agree here with Russ. Two years ago, I saw Sarah going round the Pheonix Park track slower than a lowly Formula Vee. So it was a demo run!!! What a load of sh1te... Lapped at Kirkistown in a Formula Opel. Who else has ever been lapped in Kirkistown? in anything? And from what I read about the Formula Nippon in Japan.... nothing to write home about.

How you people have made a living out of motorsport over the past few years beats the hell out of me. Good PR. Thats about it. Just because you put a woman behind the wheel of an old F1 car, doesn't mean that she'll ever make it to the real thing (especially when you haven't won anything or even beaten some of the slow gentlemen drivers).

Sorry about this Sarah, but I think you're full of it.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 23:36 (Ref:313165)   #21
sarahkavanagh
Rookie

well av8rirl, i was wondering how long it would take you to turn up. You have quite a lot to say on the internet over the years about me and my career. Do you think you know me?

Phoenix Park?? LOL Spare me! It cost £8,000 to repair the floor of the car, it's finally cancelled totally and good riddance until properly resurfaced. You think I'm going to thrash my car totally for you on free day out?? Kirkistown? That was 1994 and as I remember I was down an injector.

These are the only comments I will address to you, until you grow up, and then remove 'racer' from your ID. I hope you've had fun. There was a time when Paddy begrudgers like you really upset me and sent me backwards, but these days I like to meet you and your kind in person, after you've actually seen me race, and let speak your mind in person. But strangely few have the balls!!

Until you put your phone number on your profile or your web site, and stand up like a man....you're history.

Regards,

Sarah
www.sarahkavanagh.com
Old 14 Jun 2002, 00:13 (Ref:313173)   #22
27tim
Racer

27tim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
You sound bitter!

We have a saying over here which involves 2 things, one is a Pot and the other a Kettle and they both happen to be black...Perhaps you are familiar with it? If not one word...Snetterton.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 00:32 (Ref:313178)   #23
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont you also have another phrase, one swallow doesnt make a summer or such?

At any rate, Im not the one angling for an F1 test

Last edited by Russfeld; 14 Jun 2002 at 00:34.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 07:38 (Ref:313311)   #24
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Rayner
Hi Sarah,

I noticed on your web site that you're 29, and Allan McNish is the only driver I can think of that made an F1 debut later than that. He had several years of experience racing at the sharp end in sports cars. What do you have that will get you a drive in F1 so late in your career?
Didn't FANGIO start at 38? And Lynn St.James first went to Indy in her 40s.
Thanks Sarah for revealing some Irish problems we were not aware off. Pity about Pheonix Park as it's my favourite circuit in British Isles. I was last there in 1996 when Williams did a demo. If the authorities put some money in they could have the Irish GP again.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 08:52 (Ref:313335)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl

Slower than a lowly Formula Vee.
Lowly? Vees are cool. They're fast, they require skill and they provide great entertainment.

Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
Who else has ever been lapped in Kirkistown? in anything?
Um try loads of people. Formula Fords, RTs, Vees, Crossles - the list is endless. And that's just this year.

Last time I was up there, I actually saw a Metro lapping other metros. And they were the slowest things on the circuit that day.

I've never been to an event in Kirkistown where at least 1 car has not been lapped.