Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Feb 2004, 20:26 (Ref:860571)   #26
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Granted. But then, so was the GT-One in 1999.

In any event, the CLR wasn't as drop-dead gorgeous as the CLK-GTR/CLK-LM, one of the most beautiful racing cars I've ever seen.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 21:58 (Ref:860708)   #27
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

But still not as drop-dead gorgeous as this......

http://www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk...page2/9822.jpg

La vitesse engendre la beauté

Speed generates beauty.

Last edited by PascaLM; 2 Feb 2004 at 22:04.
Old 2 Feb 2004, 22:13 (Ref:860726)   #28
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could still drool over a Panoz GTR1 road car any day...
Attached Thumbnails
panoz road car1.jpg  

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 2 Feb 2004, 23:49 (Ref:860837)   #29
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ill take me a ts010 and 905b please ...
Old 3 Feb 2004, 04:44 (Ref:861009)   #30
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not a big fan of the Toyota GT-One either. It is good looking, but never came through when it had to. The Porsche GT1 and the Mercedes CLK are stunning. And even though the CLR wasn't a GT1 car, it was a looker.

Interesting side note on the Toyota GT-One. I was looking at some pics from the launch of the new Toyota F1 car and they showed the Toyota Motorsports gallery. There it was sitting in line with the rest of the cars. Couldn't it make current GTP standards and race?
Old 3 Feb 2004, 08:33 (Ref:861142)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The GT One was a massively prettier looking car than the "squashed" Merc, while the Porsche was actually a little dull and was made far worse in its final incarnation. Just my opinion. As for the TS010 - yes, I loved that car too - also a fabulous noise when you saw it in the flesh. The 905 was never as good looking IMO.

http://www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk...toyota3738.JPG
Old 3 Feb 2004, 10:21 (Ref:861208)   #32
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Duffacus...is that the hybrid panoz?

Ayse you should be rightly proud of your best GT-One picture. I've searched and we don't have one half as good...if you know what i mean.

i preferred the nissan, i liked its rear wing...but can understand why Ayse likes the Toyota because its wwaaaayy out there in prototype land...a bmw m3 it most definitely ain't!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 10:33 (Ref:861215)   #33
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The GT One was a massively prettier looking car than the "squashed" Merc, while the Porsche was actually a little dull and was made far worse in its final incarnation.
How dare you Ayse (j/king ). The 911-GTI98 was the car (along with the BMW LMR) that got me into spotscar racing, it is just drop dead gourgeous!
Granted the GT-One was pretty, but with all the gapping holes in the sides, it just can't beat the "drapped over" lovelyness of that Porsche... and it was much better than the original 911-GT1, IMHO.
I always prefered the CLK-GTR to the LM version (LM version looked like it had been hit in the face with a cricket bat!), and the CLR, well looked good for a plane.....

and thoose nissans.. r390, hmm seemed like a half hearted effort when compared to the toyotas, mercs and porsches, although the R391 was much better, although that was an LMP and not a GTP, so not really relevant (whatever happened to it though, i remember it beat the GT-One in the Suzuka 1000km one year, suprising a lot of people, then ii disappered?)

just some thoughts
Ed
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:05 (Ref:861240)   #34
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
O M G >>>>>>>>i forgot how good a panoz looks....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhman...sex on wheels lol...and just as fiesty as a wife...
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:25 (Ref:861259)   #35
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
That Panoz is just the normal road car version of the race car. Completly road legal and I love it!

Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:58 (Ref:861286)   #36
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yes i seem to remember now the hybrid car was painted metallic purple!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 12:01 (Ref:861288)   #37
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Yup, with metallic blue down the side! I've got a photo of that too somehere. Caught it up at Donington once, I think it was Donington anyway...

I'll try and find it

Old 3 Feb 2004, 12:45 (Ref:861316)   #38
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Speaking of GT1 road cars, anyone seen the Mercedes CLK-GTR owned by the rally driver Mohamed Bin Sulaem (sp).

He complained that the Merc did not have as much power as the the 911 GT1. Therefore AMG built a special engine for him that has over 700BHP.

Its does 0-60mph in around 2-2.5 seconds, even on road tires.

I've got a vague memory of seeing some Middle-Eastern rally coverage on Eurosport a couple of years back which included an interview with Mohamed Bin Sulayem, (filmed away from the rally being covered) which included his supercar collection- apart from the CLK-GTR, from memory he'd got a couple of Ferraris (both F40 and F50....), and I think he may have had a 911GT1 as well.....
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:22 (Ref:861360)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Try Hard
How dare you Ayse (j/king ). The 911-GTI98 was the car (along with the BMW LMR) that got me into spotscar racing,
Its all down to individual taste, isn't it? I personally preferred the cleaner lines of the original Porsche 911GT1 to the fiddled with version that followed. In the same vein, I think the R390 was a very "clean" looking car indeed. I'm also a great fan of the McLaren F1, but, strangely enough, I prefer it in its later longtail form. To me though, the epitome of that overall generation is still the GT One, not because of flowing lines or anything - I accpet its not necessarily beautiful in that sense, but to me it has the power, glamour, and sheer presence that most sportscars since have lacked. Its a beast, in other words.....
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:24 (Ref:861366)   #40
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why hasn't the McLaren been mentioned?
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:30 (Ref:861371)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It was - 2 minutes before you posted.....

Great car.

http://www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk...p/S1/95-16.jpg

http://www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk...page2/9614.JPG

http://www.aysedasi.btinternet.co.uk...page2/9718.jpg
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:34 (Ref:861374)   #42
kdr
Veteran

Quote:
Its a beast, in other words.....
ah yes, thats the technical term i was looking for ayse!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:36 (Ref:861376)   #43
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi ...one of the few shots I've ever taken that I'm really proud of... )
And well you should be! That's good enough for the cover of a glossy coffee-table book...
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:46 (Ref:861389)   #44
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Quote:
Its a beast, in other words.....
Of that, no doubt...
Would have loved to have been there in '98. Beauty and the Beast 'n all that..!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:47 (Ref:861391)   #45
kdr
Veteran

world rights, english language...i reckon you could be looking at £500 ayse!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:59 (Ref:861402)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Gimme the money!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 14:52 (Ref:861433)   #47
kdr
Veteran

you gotta find the publisher first!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 15:18 (Ref:861455)   #48
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now it's time for my spin on this, but it has nothing to do with looks or how many were made, etc....I think all of the images posted were gorgeous....

Here it Goes:

We had a Panoz GT1 that had revisions made to it to make it ACO legal for the LM 1000K last November, and now we have a Lotus Elise that I believe competed as a GT1 in the late 1990s, but has been altered for this year to run as an LMP1 in the ALMS Series...beginning in March at Sebring...

The Question:

Are there other GT1 spec cars that could be bought realtively affordably less than what you would pay for a new Zytek (about $430,000 USD) and converted to race as LMP1's???

Your thoughts???

What would you "convert" and race?

But it has to be something that you could possibly "buy"...I doubt Mr. Panoz would sell his "Batmobile"...that is a colloector's item in my book....

If there are other version sof that car out there, OK, but they have to be VERY high if they are selling a 2001 or 2002 specs LMP900 (not the Thorby design, the original open topped LMP) for $550,000...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 15:21 (Ref:861456)   #49
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The McLaren was and is a beautiful car; I'm with Ayse on preferring the long-tail versions. The Schnitzer cars of 1997 were really gorgeous.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 15:47 (Ref:861482)   #50
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Tim, I think the biggest problem woul dbe convincing the manufacturers to allow the cars to race. I doubt very much that Merc (CLK-GTR, -LM, CLR), Toyota (GT-ONE), or Porsche (GT1, -EVO, -98) would allow thoose cars out to run. I do remember some of them being privately run (was it petterson with merc, and zakspeed with porsche?) that, if the teams still have them, maybe able to race again. I think the only one that would be possible would be the long-tail Mclaren, as there are probably quite a few of those around (one still competes in the JGTC, IIRC).

Dreaming.... how about an example of each car from each manufactuer in 98 or 99? And then convince Bentley to bring along the the current Speed 8, and what a field that would be...ahh dreams are great...

Last edited by Try Hard; 3 Feb 2004 at 15:48.