Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Jan 2001, 16:57 (Ref:55517)   #1
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Following on from Craig's topic about dirtiest move of the ST era, what did you think was the funniest move / moment?
I'm running short on inspiration at the moment, but for starters, I'm sure Derek Warwick must have been enjoying nudging Mansell's car for lap after lap at the final Silverstone round in 1998.
Another thing with Del Boy, you could take bets on which lap he'd lose the Vauxhall V from the front of the Vectra - not much of a bet really, it was usually the first lap
Old 1 Jan 2001, 17:50 (Ref:55527)   #2
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When Menu got a small push from Rouses Mondeo 1994 at Donington, he made two 360s and could continue as nothing happend and only lost one place to, oh yes Rouse...
Old 1 Jan 2001, 18:44 (Ref:55537)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Tough one

It would have to be the Silvertone 93' GP support race - you know the move!

Bailey and Hoy!

Or the spat between Plato + Thompson which started in 97' at Brands, and resurfaced in 99' at Oulton Park Island.

I was actually standing in the perfect place to see the Plato/Thopson shunt, i was on top of my dads Land-Rover at Fosters and i saw Plato's Laguna doing Kangaroo impressions.
Old 1 Jan 2001, 18:58 (Ref:55540)   #4
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh God I remember that Kangeroo - bouncing towards my car at knickerbrook and was I praying for it to stop.

Some of the other funny bits was what the TV cameras got the boys to do - football, smashing plates, racing bikes - oh the joys....
Old 1 Jan 2001, 20:42 (Ref:55571)   #5
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Bring Back The Cavaliers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Menu almost landing in the Oulton lake in 1999. What more can i say?
Old 1 Jan 2001, 21:17 (Ref:55598)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How did I manage to forget about Menu nearly ending up in the Oulton lake!!!! Maybe we were all too disconcerted by purple dress lady at that meeting.....
Old 1 Jan 2001, 22:15 (Ref:55623)   #7
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muller at Thruxton last year. I believe he had to pay to get back in to the circuit after his traul through the countrysde.

And not quite the main race but we did have a few cheers and laughter after the infamous Rick Pearson took a detour at Oulton Park last year and took out one of the advertising boards. Excellent entertainment.
Old 1 Jan 2001, 22:30 (Ref:55628)   #8
Carrie
Veteran

Or Rick trying to pop over to say hello to the Ten-tenths gang at the final Silverstone qualifying

Old 2 Jan 2001, 10:32 (Ref:55747)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wasn't exactly funny at the time, well sort of, but what I would consider funny now is Paul Morris and Tony Longhurst tangling at Winton way back in 1994 and Longhurst not exactly liking the move and hitting Morris...literally with his hands while Morris was still strapped in. As I said, not exactly funny the but definitely memorable.
Old 2 Jan 2001, 10:39 (Ref:55749)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The funniest thing I can remember from the TV coverage is when Charlie Cox and someone else (Cleland ?) took to golf buggies around Donington...

Other funny moments would include Mark Blair's pitstop at Oulton last year when the airline got caught on his rear spoiler and he ended up towing half of pitlane out onto the track when he floored the throttle...!

And I still can't stop laughing at Thompson's shunt at Brands... what a pillock! Maybe it's cos I thouhg we were all gonna die at one point before his car swung back the other direction and very nearly ended up in the gardens of the houses outside the circuit grounds...
Old 2 Jan 2001, 17:25 (Ref:55806)   #11
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

The 1992 British GP race on TV was so funny. They rigged up John Cleland with a mike, which probably wasn't a good idea. Not many people saw this on TV as it was on the Chequered Flag on ITV and wasn't on the review video. Hoy barged past him and he just lost it. "Don't get too comfortable cos you're losing that 2nd place boy!" was one of the cleaner comments i heard.
Old 2 Jan 2001, 20:27 (Ref:55841)   #12
Carrie
Veteran

Hmm, I wonder what happened to those sound files of what the BBC couldn't broadcast JC saying at the final Silverstone race in 1999
Old 2 Jan 2001, 20:53 (Ref:55849)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
What ? These ones ?

What he DID say:

http://tentenths.com/scanner/r1cleland1.wav

What he MEANT to say:

http://tentenths.com/scanner/r1cleland2.wav
Old 2 Jan 2001, 20:59 (Ref:55853)   #14
Carrie
Veteran

Hehe, I'm sure I've still got those two audio files lurking on my computer somewhere
Old 2 Jan 2001, 23:55 (Ref:55897)   #15
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember Bintcliffe punting Biela into the armco at Campbell (Thruxton)...I certainly remember larfing then
Old 3 Jan 2001, 00:35 (Ref:55902)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hey,

How did you get that "other" sample,
I have a radio scanner (somewhere) could you pick them up on that?
Old 5 Jan 2001, 19:48 (Ref:56327)   #17
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nigel Mansell taking the lead of the Touring Car Race at Donington Park. Brillant when he pushed Anthony Reid of the track (Good on yah). That was the best touring car race I've ever seen
Old 5 Jan 2001, 20:10 (Ref:56336)   #18
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nigel mansell dident push antony reid off!!

reid feel off ... cuz of wet track!

dont you listen to cox?
Old 5 Jan 2001, 21:04 (Ref:56368)   #19
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Mansell touched reid from behind, reid would not go off becuase he's mr consistency.
Old 5 Jan 2001, 22:21 (Ref:56401)   #20
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mansells car didnt toutch Ried, he got aquaplaning and lost control of his car. You can see it clearly on the tv pictures...
Old 5 Jan 2001, 23:08 (Ref:56422)   #21
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reid changes down thru the box like my Granny...it's amazing he doesn't lock up and fall off at every corner.
Old 5 Jan 2001, 23:51 (Ref:56437)   #22
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Remember Silverstone 98 (methinks) when he just forgot to brake and smashed in to Thompson...

He and Menu are for sure the a**holes of the BTCC...
Old 6 Jan 2001, 10:11 (Ref:56542)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As Crash Test mentioned in another thread the funniest things to happen in ST racing in Australia was when David Auger tried to kick Bob Tweedie's car as Tweddie cruised by in the cool down lap at Amaroo Park. A bit of history there, Tweedie had frequently pushed Auger off the track on frequent occasions and this time it caused substantial damage to Auger's '94 ex BTCC Alfa. Though not nearly as much damage as the time when Tweedie turned Auger into the wall at very high speed at Phillip Island causing massive damage to Auger's car. After the shunt, Tweedie incredibly tried to blame Auger for the accident and said on national televeison that Auger (new to ST then) was way out of his depth. He shut up shortly after though, perhaps someone provided him with a list of Auger's previous motorsport acclompishments, certainly a hell of alot more impressive than anything Tweedie has done!

Of course the other great larf in aussie ST was when teammates Tony Longhurst and Paul Morris touched coming out of the last corner at Winton in '95 whilst running 1-2. Both cars speared off the track and hit the wall solidly. Third place runner, James Kaye thought it was hilarious as he cruised by to collect the win. Longhurst lept out of his car and rushed over to punch the considerably larger, stockier Morris who was still strapped into his car and wearing his helmet!
Old 6 Jan 2001, 15:06 (Ref:56664)   #24
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
i won't go on about it anymore. I know i'm right!

I think the funniest move was when Jason Plato locked up and hit Gabriele Tarquini from behind.

Lucky he did'nt bust he neck
Old 6 Jan 2001, 16:40 (Ref:56704)   #25
Bring Back The Cavaliers
Racer

Reid tries to take hairpins with one hand while changing gear at the same time. Very strange.