Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 18 Aug 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2746562)   #1
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first 2 wheeled trackday

After 18months of riding i went for it, booked an evening at Brands Hatch on Monday evening (16th Aug) and loved it

Trackday Report

So I arrived at Brands nice and early and parked up in garage 12, had a quick wander about and the pit lane was packed with all sorts of bikes, most of which were R1’s, Ducati’s and GSXR’s (slightly daunting)

Got the bike sound checked and scrutinised and all was fine and they said nothing about my camera so all good. Signed on and riders briefing done the nerves really kick in. A number of nervous spectators arrive and I’m ready and buzzing to get out there until.....................

I look up to Druids and there are rescue vehicles, medical cars and an ambulance putting someone in the back (found out later that the rider had come off and landed on his head splitting his lid open and breaking his collar bone)

Great, now I feel even better!!!

SESSION 1

Tannoy - “all red bands to the pit lane” oh crap, that’s me, right let’s go, some nervous faces as I leave the garage and I’m queued up at the end of the pit lane.

3 steady laps behind the instructor and I’m away, building confidence as the laps progress and absolutely loving it. Loads of overtaking being done by me which was great, it felt like I was carrying plenty of speed round all sections of the lap. 2 idiots come off, 1 at paddock hill and 1 at druids so yellow flags out but doesn’t put me off.

Paddock hill bend is IMENSE, Graham hill bend is harder than it looks as you’re carrying a lot speed down the hill from Druids and Surtees, Mclaren and Clearways are brilliant fun!! The session flies by and I’m back in the pits, shaking with adrenaline!!

Quick drink, check tyre pressures, lube chain and I’m back in the pit lane for my second session.

SESSION 2

Again steady start, but this time I click into it straight away, getting off the bike a bit more (or it felt that way) and really carrying speed through the corners. As you’ll see in the vids I catch and pass a number of 1000cc BIG bikes purely because I’m cornering well, yes they gap me on the straights but what a great feeling, catching and passing a far superior machine!! I really got into a rhythm and was flowing round getting quicker and quicker. Although I didn’t have my lap times the 2nd session was miles quicker!!!

Overall an absolutely amazing evening and boy did my bike love it!! Gave her a good thrashing and she never missed a beat!!

To anyone who is still to lose their Trackday cherry, get out and do it, whether it’s in a car or on a bike you will love it!!!!!!

Well worth the £40, yes you read that right £40 for 2 sessions on the BEST circuit in Britain!!!

Here are the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-XJAiv4Kk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG-k86F3JwQ

Thx guys and girls