Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 Jul 2001, 10:37 (Ref:115556)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drivers in other series that would make NASCAR stock car drivers

Paul Tracy who is just a wee bit on the aggressive side for open wheel cars. Some of us NASCAR fans who watch CART claim him as one of our own.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 11 Jul 2001 at 10:39.
Old 11 Jul 2001, 15:00 (Ref:115665)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
wow..paul tracy in Nascar ..well he has the size for it as a few of them are quite big lads.

I remember Brittish touring car driver james thompson stating he wanted to do it and so did the late greg moore.

we have a few down here that i would like to see..such as Kim Jane or jim richards..i would like to see michael schumacher in one ..just to see the look on his face when he is in the middle of a 43 car draft at Talladega

Tommy kendall perhaps..seen him on road courses but im sure he would do ok on ovals after some practise ..same goes for dorsey Schroeder.

or even IRL driver Greg ray ..he likes a bit of bumping ..maybe he can learn how to do it right in nascar instead of causing accidents every time he gets within 3 feet of another car.
Old 11 Jul 2001, 20:10 (Ref:115821)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would love to see John Cleland take to a WC car. That would be fun.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 05:20 (Ref:116429)   #4
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Cleland has plenty of experience driving V8 powered sedans. He has been a regular at the Bathurst 1000 and always does a good job.

Of course some of our young guns like Craig Lowndes and Marcus Ambrose do well whatever they drive.
Old 13 Jul 2001, 09:24 (Ref:116492)   #5
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Scott Pruit would do well in cup cars.But, it's a tough call as to who will win.I like Robby Gordon and would like to see him win on an oval.I think he will win on a road course soon but an oval win would put the Nascar regulars on notice.How about Pocono ?
Old 13 Jul 2001, 09:26 (Ref:116493)   #6
floid2000
Racer

Anybody else remember Brian Reddman in a Winston Cup Car ? Its true ! somebody help me out with a year
Old 19 Jul 2001, 03:04 (Ref:119057)   #7
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems I remember that floid2000, but the year also escapes me, although I think it was at the Daytona 500, and I was there for the race. As I recall, he didn't fare too well.

As to the question ask, ASA, Hooter's ProCup, ARCA drivers would do quite well in the Winston Cup series, this is because they driver the same types of cars, but outside of them, nobody else would do very much. Reason, open-wheel, sportscars, and whatever are completely different types of animals from stock cars. They take a completely different style of driving. Most of your open-wheel and sportscar drivers have never sat in a car that weighs more than about 1500 lbs, or driven a car without huge wings, and superwide tires. Very few have ever driven on a short track, less than one mile in length. Scott Pruett stated, on several occasions, that there is little to no crossover, or transfer from other forms of racing (and he should know, as he drove almost every kind of race car that could be named) to stock cars. Everything works completely different, exactly the opposite from what he was use too. I think he pretty much hit the nail on the head, explaining why these drivers from other forms of racing, outside of stock cars do so poorly in stock cars.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 05:28 (Ref:119076)   #8
strohslite#6
Rookie

strohslite#6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would enjoy to see if John Force could turn left. He has the, you know what I am talkin bout.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 14:58 (Ref:119210)   #9
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't remember Brian Redman driving NASCAR. However in 1970 Jackie Oliver was racing in NASCAR.I saw him at the Daytona 400. At that time they still had drum brakes and he told me that if you want to go into the pits you have to start breaking the lap before.
I also think that David Hobbs had a go at driving in NASCAR but can't remember when. It probably would be in 1971.
There was a time when NASCAR thought that european drivers would attract fans to there races. I'm sure that Oliver was paid by NASCAR to drive a tin top.
The one driver I want to see full time in NASCAR is a Canadian Ron Fellows. Would be nice if Randy McDonald also a Canadian could get a good ride.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 15:51 (Ref:119225)   #10
SHerbert
Rookie

SHerbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Hobbs competed in the Daytona 500 and the Champion Spark Plug 400 (at Michigan) in 1976.

Jackie Oliver also raced in the first half of the 1972 season in a Junie Donlavy Ford.

And another British sports car driver who raced in NASCAR was Vic Elford who competed in the Daytona 500 a couple of times in the late 60's/early 70's.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 21:00 (Ref:119376)   #11
Rocktire
Rookie

Rocktire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Unser Jr. He would have been a great Nascar driver IMO.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 23:28 (Ref:119434)   #12
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by strohslite#6
I would enjoy to see if John Force could turn left. He has the, you know what I am talkin bout.
Imagine, "I saw Elvis at 500 miles." :lol: Force wouldn't make it in NASCAR because you have to race longer than you get interviewed. I can see it now, "John, sorry we have to cut you short but we got to talk to the second and third place drivers"
Old 20 Jul 2001, 01:53 (Ref:119478)   #13
Lee
Racer

Intresting, I saw a special on John Force on either RPM2Night, or the old TNN Raceday show, a few years ago. He took the FastTrack driving school at both Rockingham, and Atlanta. Several Winston Cup drivers were there, and too the man, they said, Force has potential, could do it, if he wanted to devote the time, and effort into stock car racing.

The reason you had the European drivers running the Daytona 500, and Firecracker 400 races in the 60s and early too mid seventys was because at the time, there was a rule about having to have drivers from other FIA recognized series compete in one of your races, in order for the event to receive FIA approval, sanction or whatever. I believe that practice has pretty much gone by the wayside now.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 20:35 (Ref:119757)   #14
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
[Bi would like to see michael schumacher in one ..just to see the look on his face when he is in the middle of a 43 car draft at Talladega
[/B]

Wow, would he ever got a nasty surprise if he drove in one of those cup races. Because when you do things such as punt somebody off the track intentionaly, they don't forget it so easily.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 02:03 (Ref:123591)   #15
floid2000
Racer

John Force is a fun guy and maybe has the potential to drive a Cup car, BUT, Do you think he has the attention span to drive in a 500 miler ?
Old 30 Jul 2001, 20:25 (Ref:123983)   #16
Lee
Racer

In all honesty, yes, I think he would. The consentration level required would more than hold his attention! Force has the intensity, all you have to do is look into his eyes, when he has his "game face" on. The only driver that I have ever seen that had more intensity was the late Dale Earnhardt, but Force comes very close, again, look at the eyes. That intensity equals consentration, and Force, I think, has more than enough.
Old 2 Aug 2001, 08:34 (Ref:125108)   #17
floid2000
Racer

I have a ferret who can concentrate for 4.8 seconds. 4 hours is a long time.