Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Mar 2010, 05:09 (Ref:2654676)   #1
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[V8SC10R07&08] ITM400, Hamilton New Zealand

I didn't see this one coming...
Atricle here

Are street circuits going to be victims of their own making? Too expensive to keep going after the novelty has worn off?

This particular one is a bit worrying, with NAC's photographic exploits!

Is this one a case of "where there is smoke, there is fire"?
Old 18 Mar 2010, 06:01 (Ref:2654682)   #2
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one don't understand why so much money goes in to setting up the ever-increasing safety requirements for street circuits. Would be so much better if that same money was invested into upgrading our existing circuits which would then benefit both racers and spectators for years to come.

Things were great in the days of the Wellington street race etc but do the costs / benefits really stack up still?
Old 18 Mar 2010, 07:11 (Ref:2654691)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was conjecture before last year's event along the lines of the amount of locals that left Hamilton on the weekend of the event and the ever increasing cost associated with the event.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2654723)   #4
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Cocho - so you GUARANTEE the Hamilton event will go ahead? Of course nothing like this (a cancellation) could happen to spoil the event could it.

Hmmmm - why am I hearing voices in my head saying Shanghai, Shanghai, Shanghai (with a chorus of Barbagallo, Surfers and a few others..)
Old 18 Mar 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2654727)   #5
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
I didn't see this one coming...
Atricle here

Are street circuits going to be victims of their own making? Too expensive to keep going after the novelty has worn off?

This particular one is a bit worrying, with NAC's photographic exploits!

Is this one a case of "where there is smoke, there is fire"?

The media caught wind that I could only turn up on Sunday and now it's all doom and gloom. Really I cant get out of the other thing
Old 18 Mar 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2654788)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsp...e-under-threat

Quote:
caught out last year by building about 10,000 too many grandstand seats which they had to pay for but were not filled
Quote:
Ticket sales are considerably down on where they have been
Quote:
The first year's event saw corporate sponsors include Ford, Holden, Exide, GT Radials and BP. Last year Holden had a sponsorship package but this year is not involved at all.
Paints the picture quite clearly. Down ticket sales and sponsorship/corporate sales on last year which itself was under sold.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2654821)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a lovely little circuit up at Pukekohe, usually produced an exciting race. Imagine what you could do to that with a one-off spend of NZ$10m?

Old 18 Mar 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2654830)   #8
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
There's a lovely little circuit up at Pukekohe, usually produced an exciting race. Imagine what you could do to that with a one-off spend of NZ$10m?

Or this nice new circuit: http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/65/the-circuit.htm
Old 18 Mar 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2654834)   #9
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Hey Cocho - so you GUARANTEE the Hamilton event will go ahead? Of course nothing like this (a cancellation) could happen to spoil the event could it.

Hmmmm - why am I hearing voices in my head saying Shanghai, Shanghai, Shanghai (with a chorus of Barbagallo, Surfers and a few others..)
Mmmm, doesn't sound good at all... Cocho seems to me making a lot of noise about loving NZ, but not so much about loving Hamilton.

I'm thinking that V8s might be at another venue in NZ next year.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2655001)   #10
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Mmmm, doesn't sound good at all... Cocho seems to me making a lot of noise about loving NZ, but not so much about loving Hamilton.

Hi Rik, have to agree with you. And if that means the end of street circuits in New Zealand, it will be a win win for all New Zealand motor racing fans, especially the competitors!

For the record I have never supported the concept of street racing because of the extreme costs that occur every year.

Much better to invest in a permanent race circuit, least in my opinion.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2655031)   #11
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post

and a fast track to the Hampton extension
Old 18 Mar 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2655117)   #12
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Hi Rik, have to agree with you. And if that means the end of street circuits in New Zealand, it will be a win win for all New Zealand motor racing fans, especially the competitors!

For the record I have never supported the concept of street racing because of the extreme costs that occur every year.

The only problem is that with permanent circuits you have to deal with permanent promoters. Street circuits, OTOH, you deal with a government body (local, state or fed) and can dictate before the circuit is put in place what needs to be there.

And, to top it off - you don't have to pay for the 'improvements' you demand!
Old 18 Mar 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2655184)   #13
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post

Cheers,

Mark.
This I agree with - I still think that the V8's should race one year in the north Island - say Hampton Downs then the 2nd year in the south island at Ruapuna raceway. Everyone knows that both these tracks are drivers tracks and would provide great racing.....
Old 18 Mar 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2655196)   #14
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Wigram, now that would be a real track to see them run on. Tip some of the street race money into there and no one could resist it, particularly the current land owners
Old 18 Mar 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2655216)   #15
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be great if the event fails, but only if it means returning to an NZ permanent circuit.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 02:50 (Ref:2655325)   #16
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n View Post
This I agree with - I still think that the V8's should race one year in the north Island - say Hampton Downs then the 2nd year in the south island at Ruapuna raceway. Everyone knows that both these tracks are drivers tracks and would provide great racing.....
But it's wishful thinking. Tell a promotor they could only run an event every second year, c=no continuity, no chance of attracting investment, it's failure recipe. If you want both islands represented that's two rounds. One shared rounds would doom both promotors.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 03:26 (Ref:2655331)   #17
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The collapse in demand for Hamilton tickets between 2008 and 2009 which has accelerated even further this year shows that people won't attend a V8 "event" if the racing and track are rubbish.From a spectators perspective Hamilton is the worst viewing street circuit in history (although the GA at Homebush gives it some strong competition) and the greed of the organisers in banning spectators from bringing their own food helps make this the most spectator unfriendly motor race in the world.It deserves to fail.V8SA if they cannot find another government in NZ to lavish taxpayers money on them will either have to hire Hampton Downs themselves to run the meeting,contract the meetings to that circuits owners for a reasonable amount (i.e. less than they charge everywhere else) or leave NZ entirely.The last option is so short sighted,greedy and stupid you can bet that is what they'll do.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 03:37 (Ref:2655334)   #18
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the NZ market is not so important anymore.

We are even expected to pay to view footage on the series website now.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 05:03 (Ref:2655348)   #19
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
But it's wishful thinking. Tell a promotor they could only run an event every second year, c=no continuity, no chance of attracting investment, it's failure recipe. If you want both islands represented that's two rounds. One shared rounds would doom both promotors.
Agree - it's why the WRC alternating calendar is a joke. The conventional wisdom is that with a larger slice of the population on the North Island, if it is one round only then it needs to be on the North Island - although there are a couple of great tracks on the South Island.

When Hamilton was locked in, Hampton Downs was still a twinkle in the eye, Puke was closing (although they later changed their minds), Palmerston North were keen to use Manfield but needed to upgrade the track substantially & the funding wasn't locked & Taupo didn't have enough accom capacity to house the teams, let alone any one else.

I don't mind the Hamilton layout personally and with new events of this type it is not uncommon for them to struggle before really finding their feet. Adelaide really struggled in year 3 of the GP days, Surfers same in it's 3rd year as examples. Both had to do some work on themselves and they have both gone on for years since.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 05:08 (Ref:2655349)   #20
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
Maybe the NZ market is not so important anymore.

We are even expected to pay to view footage on the series website now.
Hi Blueblood - I'm surprised that has changed. I always understood that you had to be a Bigpond subscriber to see the footage for free (at least in Australia anyway). Is the charge a new thing for you guys?
Old 19 Mar 2010, 06:32 (Ref:2655359)   #21
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Bring back Wigram, now that would be a real track to see them run on. Tip some of the street race money into there and no one could resist it, particularly the current land owners
Unfortunately the maoris have got hold of it and begun pulling the place to bits. So much history being destroyed sadly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigram_Airfield_Circuit
Old 19 Mar 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2655447)   #22
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
"The aerodrome was closed to air traffic in September 2008 and will become a housing development."

that's a bit different to your red neck statement
Old 19 Mar 2010, 10:01 (Ref:2655452)   #23
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redneck? Didn't you read the sentence before that in the wiki article?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 19 Mar 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2656010)   #24
NewsStalker
Veteran

Duh....8 years between when the last race was held and when the aerodrome was closed.

Yeah - real conspiracy here!
Old 20 Mar 2010, 05:46 (Ref:2656236)   #25
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Not for a lack of trying. There have been attempts at running classic meetings there again but the 'current circuit owners' (said in a hopefully-not-so-redneck-way) haven't been obliging.

Anyhow I didn't mean to hijack the thread, back on track...