Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Oct 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2969579)   #1
Bradley
Rookie

Bradley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel 7 commercials

I know this has been beaten to death but really does anyone know why channel 7 can get coverage awards with 5 lap/10 minutes of showing racing and then 4-5 minutes of commericals from the start to end of Bathurst (let alone the rest of the years stuff)?

you can use the it's not pay tv thing but One does NASCAR with not that many commercials? couldn't they just charge more for the space and do less commericals, they'd still make the same money? I would have thought that if you have less commercials then it'd pay off better being that people don't completely switch off because of the 10 they show every 5 minutes?

although after watching Bathurst I now know what the fashion will be at the races this year, which I'm sure was targeted at much of the Bathurst watching viewers.....
Old 12 Oct 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2969593)   #2
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TiVo.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2969603)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
you can use the it's not pay tv thing but One does NASCAR with not that many commercials? couldn't they just charge more for the space and do less commericals, they'd still make the same money? I would have thought that if you have less commercials then it'd pay off better being that people don't completely switch off because of the 10 they show every 5 minutes?
i guess that depends on whether Coates Hire and WesTrac were the predominant advertisers...
Old 12 Oct 2011, 02:08 (Ref:2969626)   #4
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
need to get access to the stats like they do for Nascar to do some comparisons unless someone else wants to put in the effort to log it all..

http://www.jayski.com/pages/commercials2011.htm
http://www.CawsnJaws.com

Quote:
Race and Commercial Breakdown of the Kansas race: For those of you NASCAR fans that like stats and love to hate commercials, or wonder how often your driver was focused on, here is the breakdown for Sunday’s race. Began recording the times at the Invocation of the race at 2:02 PM, and stopped at the waving of the checkered flag at 5:18 PM (all times are EST). Did not keep records for the pre- and post-race coverage. ESPN was the broadcast team for this event.. Included in this broadcast was ‘NASCAR Non-Stop’, commercials shown split-screen with the race broadcast.
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 2:02 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 5:18 PM
Total minutes of complete broadcast: 196
Total minutes of race broadcast: 166
Total number of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 69
Minutes of traditional commercials: 30
Total number of ‘NASCAR Non-Stop commercials’ (split-screen): 40
Number of times ESPN utilized ‘NASCAR Non-Stop’ to show split-screen commercials: 8
Minutes of ‘NASCAR Non-Stop Commercials’: 19
Total number of commercials: 109
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 57
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 31
Number of missed restarts: 0
Number of ‘mystery cautions’ (debris not shown): 1
For links to sponsors, or special items-of-interest such as links to contests and movie sites, selected drivers and more, see CawsnJaws.com.(10-10-2011)
Old 12 Oct 2011, 05:20 (Ref:2969668)   #5
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
TiVo.
Unfortunately that doesn't work when using live timing and twitter.
That's the first time I've got the timing to even half work and it really was good to see who was doing what - particularly the co-drivers.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2969698)   #6
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find that the average amount of time between adverts hasn't changed in over 20 years. I think someone over at v8 central did a comparison between 90,00 and 10 Bathursts and it was pretty much the same.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2969702)   #7
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DV_08 View Post
I think you will find that the average amount of time between adverts hasn't changed in over 20 years. I think someone over at v8 central did a comparison between 90,00 and 10 Bathursts and it was pretty much the same.
Agree Dv_08.

What may have changed is that the adverts were more consisent in frequency, now we might see 20 minutes of racing then adverts followed by 6 minutes of racing then more adverts.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 05:22 (Ref:2970247)   #8
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i live out of Sydney metro, and only get prime and 7mate on prime, We got normal add and full-on infomercials during the coverage.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2970330)   #9
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I noted that at least last year and the year before the bigpond on line feed had no adds so if you had your laptop handy your could watch that (albeit 30 seconds delayed) while the add breaks were on and could watch the track video with no audio feed. This year was a re transmission of Sydney 7 mate (said a few words you cant say in front of the kids when I found that out) so they are getting every possible revenue stream in!!

Last edited by Bugger All; 13 Oct 2011 at 08:51. Reason: Cause I cant spell propperly
Old 14 Oct 2011, 01:35 (Ref:2970805)   #10
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is something to think about, WTF cant they do the commercials like the supercheap one where its just a screen off to the right but the race is still being shown on the left???? why can't they do it that way??
Old 14 Oct 2011, 04:34 (Ref:2970826)   #11
Bradley
Rookie

or the fake norton and bigpond signs in the cutting? they just look cheap...
Old 14 Oct 2011, 05:13 (Ref:2970835)   #12
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
or the fake norton and bigpond signs in the cutting? they just look cheap...
Were they fake or were they just a weird colour that stood out ? I did double take on them when I first saw them.

I haven't watched a V8 Supercar race "live" for almost 5 years now. Get yourself some sort of PVR like a Topfield or I'm currently using windows media centre running through an xBox360. Set up to record the races and then don't start watching until the race is about 1/2 an hour or so in. Skip through the adds while the race is running and hopefully you won't catch up to the telecast before the end of the race. Even if you know what time the race starts using timeshifting pause the race, take the dog for a walk, make some popcorn and then sit down to an ad free race.

We even did it for Bathurst last year, we had a BBQ and a late night the night before hand and then didn't start watching the races until about 11:30. We had enough buffer so we didn't have to watch a single ad all day.

Life's too short to spend it watching commercials especially nowadays when they're so easy to avoid.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 05:21 (Ref:2970836)   #13
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were fake alright. I think they used to have computer generated billboards and on-track signage during the Supertourer telecasts a decade ago.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 05:43 (Ref:2970839)   #14
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
They were fake alright. I think they used to have computer generated billboards and on-track signage during the Supertourer telecasts a decade ago.
I remember that well, that was when Channel 7 raped the mountain. There were dodgy signs dubbed in all over the place, even in the middle of the road.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2970845)   #15
Bradley
Rookie

but i'm sure they'll get a aeward for bathurst coverage somehow
Old 14 Oct 2011, 06:48 (Ref:2970855)   #16
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
Here is something to think about, WTF cant they do the commercials like the supercheap one where its just a screen off to the right but the race is still being shown on the left???? why can't they do it that way??
Because as a client i don't want the focus of my message split or diminished in any way. Supercheap are also sponsoring the race and I'd be willing to bet that there'd be plenty of Russell Ingall shots during those breaks.
If I've paid $10'000 for my 30 second TVC then damn it I want it to get 100% attention.
Remember the reason for a Commercial Television Network to exist is purely to sell Television Commercials, it is not to provide entertainment for you.
If TV stations could get you to watch without providing any entertainment at all yet still attract viewers they would.
We call this the Channel Nine principle.
Old 15 Oct 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2971481)   #17
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
.........Remember the reason for a Commercial Television Network to exist is purely to sell Television Commercials, it is not to provide entertainment for you.
If TV stations could get you to watch without providing any entertainment at all yet still attract viewers they would......
They all seem to be adopting that practice now and using it vigorously. Perhaps, that may be why we spend so much time on discussion forums.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2973024)   #18
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
In Canada for the F1 telecast, thats how they do it. They put the race in the top left corner, put the ad in the bottom right corner (the larger of the two screens, and run its audio).

I could stomach that. But the absolute embarrasment of ads this year was nothing short of disgraceful. I understand the reality of a commerical operation, but that was just ridiculous. Over the top.

We watched the F1 coverage after the race, and wondered where the ads were. Sure they had them, but in comparison it felt like none.

There needs to be some alternative. Not everyone can make it to the track to watch it live.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2973032)   #19
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
In Canada for the F1 telecast, thats how they do it. They put the race in the top left corner, put the ad in the bottom right corner (the larger of the two screens, and run its audio).

I could stomach that. But the absolute embarrasment of ads this year was nothing short of disgraceful. I understand the reality of a commerical operation, but that was just ridiculous. Over the top.

We watched the F1 coverage after the race, and wondered where the ads were. Sure they had them, but in comparison it felt like none.

There needs to be some alternative. Not everyone can make it to the track to watch it live.
Exactly!! I watch the Indycars on ESPN and even they do this.... I care not that the audio is replaced with that of the Commercial, but I still wanna see what is going on.... I actually gave up watching the race in the end because i got tired of the ads.... i just downloaded the whole race the next day and watched it then... ad free... pretty much like all the races this year...
Old 18 Oct 2011, 03:49 (Ref:2973076)   #20
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I remember that well, that was when Channel 7 raped the mountain. There were dodgy signs dubbed in all over the place, even in the middle of the road.
7 should have drawn in a vitual crowd too. There were more wheelie bins than paying punters on the fence. I also rememember 7 wanted to do the
virtual add thing at the MCG for a gayfl final.

They got pulled into line PDQ.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2973113)   #21
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post

To say that there are more adverts this year than last or any other year in recent memory is simply not true.

The ACMA code of practice allows for 16 minutes of adverts per hour. We may not like it but it has been this way for a number of years.
Old 18 Oct 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2973162)   #22
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If chavez and DV_08 are right about ther being the same amount of time for ads as there was 20 years ago, it's just they're smaller but more frequent, then I suggest going back to how it was. No way, did it feel like as much of an interruption as it did then. When you think how much "effort" is being put into gaining attention from people with a minimal interest, I can't think of anything that is more likely to extuinguish interest from anybody who doesn't care that much already than the high frequency of commercials.