Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2002, 09:53 (Ref:382286)   #26
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I also read tha castrowhat'shisname is going to test for Toyota.
Helio is the driver i want to see in F1, did anyone else see him going wheel to wheel with Hornish jr in the IRL race on sunday night? The guy's (both of them actually) got balls!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 10:09 (Ref:382294)   #27
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find it hard to believe that Toyota would make an announcement before everyone has been tested.

The big question about the Helio test is:

Will he turn left at the first right?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:27 (Ref:382419)   #28
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Nobody except Panis has been announced for Toyota. Everything else is mere guessing. It all depends on what Eddie is going to do.

Valve
Old 17 Sep 2002, 12:41 (Ref:382436)   #29
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who'd have thought Eddie held the keys to the driver market for next season?!?!?!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:02 (Ref:382461)   #30
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I dont think he does. Personally I think Paul Stoddart does.

Jaguar want Webber. Stoddart wants free Cossies (and who waould'nt after last weekend?). Webber's not worth it.

When Paul finally wakes up and does the deal with Ford, all the seats will be wrapped up the following day. The only reason Irvine is still around is as a "Plan B".
Old 17 Sep 2002, 14:49 (Ref:382540)   #31
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't get the Da Matta thing anyway. If Toyota are looking for vast improvement this year, what's the point of running a guy who's not driven a F1 car in anger and doesn't know any of the tracks?
Old 22 Sep 2002, 15:50 (Ref:385926)   #32
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta confirmed at Toyota

French broadcaster TF1 have revealed that Christiano da Matta is confirmed by Toyota F1 to partner Olivier Panis for their 2003 campaign.

More at http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...g0_Spo25.shtml

More news when it breaks.

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 22 Sep 2002 at 15:52.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 15:56 (Ref:385934)   #33
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Waiting for the official announcement... Maybe at Indy?
Old 22 Sep 2002, 16:01 (Ref:385943)   #34
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

That would be my guess anyway.

So now Webber will sign for Jag after all, or is Jag going to surprise us with signing Pizzonia? He did do a remarkable (to say the least) test at Barcelona last thursday.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 16:06 (Ref:385945)   #35
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Pizzonia is a lot better than he's looked this year in F3000 .

Be good to see him in a seat somewhere in F1.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 16:11 (Ref:385948)   #36
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar will probably go for Pizzonia, as he is better thna Webber.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 16:12 (Ref:385949)   #37
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

Pizzonia is highly rated by Patrick Head and Frank Williams, and rightly so. His performance at the Jagtest was probably no coincidence either. Some drivers seem to be made for Formula 1 and nothing else. Maybe he was a bit unlucky to find F3000 on his path. If he had the chance to go straight from F3 to F1, he would have been the next best thing. At least that was what people said about him during his F3-days. F3000 spoiled all that a bit, but his performance during F1-test simply shows that he is quick and knows how to go quick, where F1 is concerned. It would be F1's loss when Antonio fails to make it. If it doesnt work out for 2003, than that'll probably be it.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 16:14 (Ref:385954)   #38
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

request for the mod:

The chosen topic-title no longer covers the current content of this topic. Perhaps it could be modified (the title that is, not the content of this topic). Thanks in advance.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 21:07 (Ref:386137)   #39
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two words for you. Alex and Zanardi. Or hows about Michael and Andretti?? This isn't going to work, I bet you.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 21:17 (Ref:386144)   #40
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Or Juan and Montoya.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 22:30 (Ref:386183)   #41
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or Jacques and Villeneuve.

Honestly, I think a huge part of being successful in F1 is personality and attitude. Alex was an extremely friendly guy who loved to joke around with his team and competitors, and it didn't suit F1 at all. The Williams team took it as his not being committed enough, and didn't treat him very well either.

Christiano on the other hand seems much more focused and has a much stronger personality than Alex did. He has more of an F1 attitude, and I think he might be better mentally suited to handle the pressure-cooker that F1 is. His attitude is similar to Juan Montoya except he is quieter, keeps to himself a bit more and is not so much of a jerk to people around the paddock.

Anyway, give him a chance. Nobody's saying he's the next coming or anything, but he should at least be able to hold his own. Now, if he could only arrive ontime for a press conference..... (Cart reporters will understand...)

Last edited by Jay; 22 Sep 2002 at 22:33.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 Sep 2002, 03:04 (Ref:386285)   #42
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
or Jacques and Villeneuve.

Honestly, I think a huge part of being successful in F1 is personality and attitude.

Well, I believe Jacques has no shortage of personality or attitude, and since he is a former WDC, I would say he has also been successful.

Jay, as a fellow Canuck, I try not to let this whole BAR debacle detract from my enjoyment of his skills and performances, especially on occasions like Spa of this season.
As was discussed on other threads, much (but of course, not all) of the problems at BAR were related to the responsibilities tied to each percentage of the shareholdings, so things could not have really gotten much better, under the circumstances.

As for Cristiano, I wish him luck, if this is confirmed.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 14:20 (Ref:386641)   #43
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the above website and some people's opinions it's a done deal. however, Carl Haas recently stated it was 50/50 that he'd go to F1. They want to make the announcent at the USGP, at least that appears to be their goal.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 Sep 2002, 17:46 (Ref:386702)   #44
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm telling y'all. Not going to work. I've had a vision!!
Old 23 Sep 2002, 17:56 (Ref:386709)   #45
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DaMatta is looking very steady this year but he has not been that great in past years. He is not a JPM nor JV. The reason for his success this year is his team and their consistency. Dario, IMO is every bit as good but because of the chassia change and lack of consistency (some due to his teammate) he is second in points. That is not bad for someone who has faild to finish 7 races (not sure about that number). DaMatta looks like a nice enough guy but he is not the best in CART. However he already is linked to Toyota and they seem to want to keep it in the family. This is a good thing. Toyota may open doors for many drivers in CART.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 21:35 (Ref:386882)   #46
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Toyota may open doors for many drivers in CART.
Or maybe for many drivers in the IRL, since that is where they're going!
Old 23 Sep 2002, 21:50 (Ref:386893)   #47
John0087
Rookie

John0087 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
DaMatta is looking very steady this year but he has not been that great in past years.
Actually, the drives that DaMatta had while at PPI (his first and second years in CART) were very good. He was able to accomplish a lot, including his first win, with a second tier team. I think that he would be a good fit in F1, aggressive yet in complete control at all times.

However, if he goes to Toyota right now, I think he will fail. Toyota is not up to speed yet, and putting a rookie (F1 that is)talent in an underdeveloped car is not a good idea. Toyota should have more experienced drivers develop the car, then unleash it to whom ever they choose.

John
Old 23 Sep 2002, 22:35 (Ref:386926)   #48
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This is about as 'official' or 'confirmed' as the other 'official' threads on this topic. So I'm merging it with the other non-official threads.