Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1980557)   #76
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn't it possible the team really was just trying to get him out with clear track and didn't realise they'd scuttle his teammates last chance? Doesn't make it any less severe but changes the whole dynamic from (very) unsporting to just plain stupid. Is Alonzo that small a man? I hope not.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1980558)   #77
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
I think Alonso was.
Which is the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnussun
A couple of important points.

* How did Alonso know how long to wait? It's not like he's got a watch in the car.

* And more importantly; Ron Dennis & Co. was livid. They did not approve at all... Did you see the Alonso - Hamilton handshake afterwards? Didn't look particulary friendly to me!

* Who was the McLaren guy that Ron grabbed and brought down the pitlane? He had something to do with Alonso but I can't remember what.

* Alonso looked very stressed at the press conference, and Lewis' answer to "By how much did you miss getting a flying lap?" with "About as much time as I was held up in the pits" was very to the point...
Alonso didn't knoiw but I suspect his main thrust was to delay Lewis and even if it cost him he didn't mind.

Yep ron was pretty fed up, didn't see the handshake because I switched off.

Was it fernando's manager? (or is he still managed by Flav?).

He's been found out. I suspect Hamilton realises he's got Alonso rattled.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1980559)   #78
Tone
Racer

United Kingdom
Tone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
A couple of important points.

* How did Alonso know how long to wait? It's not like he's got a watch in the car.
He would have known how long till the cut off so he didnt miss it.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1980560)   #79
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After Alonso did what he did, who came off best today ? He may have nicked pole from Hamilton... but he's laid a bed of nails for himself in the team. You need the team behind you to win championships and you could see by the faces in the pit garages and in parc ferme that the team were not happy. Ron appeared to be beside himself with anger.

What he did will come back to haunt him I'm sure.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1980561)   #80
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do wonder if Ron will make McLaren will enforce an unofficial 10 second stop go on Fernando during pitstops tomorrow
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:49 (Ref:1980564)   #81
SLK55
Racer

England
SLK55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fawlty towers

Just on a side note. Ron dennis catching the attention of Alonsos trainer very much reminded me of Basil Fawlty talking to Manuel. Just a shame he didn;t march him off down the pitlane holding his ear or slapping him on the back of the head.
I'm sure when Ron meets Alonso, he'll be whipping him with some random tree branch !!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:49 (Ref:1980565)   #82
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But the drivers can't both have the same strategy. One's got to have the best, the other the next best. Which one do you think will get which?

And Ron's not frightened of getting rid of drivers if he doesn't like them...Montoya mid-season, Raikkonen...
Apologies, I thought you were saying he'd give FA strategies that were just plain bad, rather than second best.

I think that will depend on who's in the stronger championship position, which could be different after tomorrow than it is today.

Yes, JPM left, but I'm not sure he was better than the replacement options at that time - not convinced it was just personal, rather more for the good of the team.

The team probably told FA how long he had when he came in - he'd know the last moment he could go out to get a lap in, he'd just make sure he left the box after (that time plus a pit-stop).
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:49 (Ref:1980566)   #83
Datsun
Rookie

United States
Rhode Island
Datsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ron's not frightened of getting rid of drivers if he doesn't like them...Montoya mid-season, Raikkonen...
I thought Ron would have preferred to keep Raikkonen. I know in the past he had said that if they lost Raikkonen due to underperformance or unreliability of the McLaren cars that it was their own fault.

Did I miss something, did McLaren really "get rid" of Raikkonen?!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1980567)   #84
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes davyboy.

As I said earlier, there will no doubt be a bit of preference over fuel strategies tomorrow that's for sure. McLaren will make sure Lewis wins tomorrow I feel.

As for after that, well, who knows. I like to think McLaren will kind of get on with it through gritted teeth!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:50 (Ref:1980568)   #85
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish, tomorrow, Hairball and Carl Lewis take each other out on the first corner, letting Nick or Kimi for the victory.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1980569)   #86
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ron's seen this before with Senna and Prost though hasn't he?!!

Accepted they were light years in front of other teams at the time, and not in competition with 2 other decent drivers in competitive Ferraris!! fair enough. But if McLaren insist in trying to pair up top drivers and expect them to make way for each other, it ain't gonna happen!!

How on earth does anyone expect a double WDC to let some upstart and hugely talented newcomer come in and try and steal his limelight?!

Last edited by chunterer; 4 Aug 2007 at 13:53.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1980570)   #87
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
This is absolutely spot on.

Alonso's behavior today is a brilliant bit of strategy, especially given the decided disadvantage cars on the dirty side of the track have in Hungary.

Unfortunately, it isn't remotely what anyone could call "sporting".
we just have to wait for the British tabloids to get the "real" story....
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1980571)   #88
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the team were quick thinking... they shouldn't have changed Hamilton's tyres and rolled him out two inches from Alonso's a$$.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1980572)   #89
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Just suppose Lewis had been instructed by the team earlier in the session to move over for Alonso and had refused to do so and told Ron what to do with his instruction? If that were to be right what Alonso did would be payback time. Then who's the villain?

Just a thought.

Alternatively place money now on both McLarens eliminating each in Turn 1 tomorrow
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:52 (Ref:1980573)   #90
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does Alonso really RUN the team to the point he has the final say on TEAM strategy?? Do you really thing HE told them to hold up Lewis and they obeyed his command?? So Lewis and Ron are really working for Alonso??

Don't blame Alonso; blame the team...

...the same lillywhite team who couldn't possibly have looked at or used the Ferrari data; the same team that would NEVER use team orders; the same team that is beyond cheating or anything unsportsmanlike.

Ha; I love it!!!!!

Maybe they held up Lewis because they were thumbing through the Ferrari data trying to figure out Kimi's strategy...????

MacLaren credibility just went down another notch with this blatant display of team orders.

But hey, they don't do that; only Ferrari does.

Makes you wonder a bit what else they are capable of??

But hey Mac fans; don't blame the team; blame the Spanard...

...it's so much more convenient.

Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:52 (Ref:1980574)   #91
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Alternatively place money now on both McLarens eliminating each in Turn 1 tomorrow
I don't think they are that stupid!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:52 (Ref:1980575)   #92
SLK55
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
we just have to wait for the British tabloids to get the "real" story....
Expect to see a petition to get all charter flights to Spain cancelled !
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1980576)   #93
Noah
Rookie

United States
Noah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Isn't it possible the team really was just trying to get him out with clear track and didn't realise they'd scuttle his teammates last chance?
I don't think so. Once the team was done delaying Alonso, the lollipop man raised the lollipop, and Alonso waited an additional 2 or 3 seconds before leaving!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1980577)   #94
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Fernando gets a grilling from the tabloids then he's doing all the right things. They don't know a damn thing about racing, and only pretend to care when someone British is winning.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1980578)   #95
SLK55
Racer

England
You need to get off the drugs !! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle
Does Alonso really RUN the team to the point he has the final say on TEAM strategy?? Do you really thing HE told them to hold up Lewis and they obeyed his command?? So Lewis and Ron are really working for Alonso??

...the same lillywhite team who couldn't possibly have looked at or used the Ferrari data; the same team that would NEVER use team orders; the same team that is beyond cheating or anything unsportsmanlike.

Ha; I love it!!!!!

Maybe they held up Lewis because they were thumbing through the Ferrari data trying to figure out Kimi's strategy...????

MacLaren credibility just went down another notch with this blatant display of team orders.

Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1980579)   #96
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Spritle, that holds little water I'm afraid.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1980580)   #97
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle

Ha; I love it!!!!!

Which race were you watching?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1980581)   #98
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What i really interested to know is what causes Alonso to react such a way? Surely there must be some serious **** given by the team (Ron?) otherwise a normal person wont react like that.

Also I dont think his reaction was ment to hurt Hamilton, but to the team..especially Ron.

Hamilton was just an innocent victim in this case.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1980582)   #99
Tone
Racer

United Kingdom
Tone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
I wish, tomorrow, Hairball and Carl Lewis take each other out on the first corner, letting Nick or Kimi for the victory.
Do you know what Carl Lewis looks like?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:56 (Ref:1980585)   #100
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson
Yes, JPM left, but I'm not sure he was better than the replacement options at that time - not convinced it was just personal, rather more for the good of the team.
Which might be the case with Alonso. Hamilton was pretty emphatic in thanking "the team" in the press conference. There may be a few people a little bit annoyed.

And, after all, where's Alonso gonna go? Renault? Ferrari's probably out of the question...whereas Ron will practically have the pick of the grid if he wanted.