Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: Was the BBC2 Mille Miglia programme any good?
Yes, it was entertaining. 39 72.22%
No, it was boring 15 27.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Dec 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2362216)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Mille Miglia on BBC2 Sunday night.

With Chef James Martin, anyone see it? I thought it was good although disappointing as James's Maserati lasted only 120 miles on a fresh engine(maybe he should have listened to his lady co-drivers advice to limit it to 3500rpm not 4500rpm). Anyone know what his engine problem was as it sounded like a bigend knocked out to me although they were saying it was a valve, if it was a valve the only way I would say it would make that row is if it had kissed a piston and bent and was being held open.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2362246)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I was wondering much the same thing... Especially off the 'start' ramp, when he did seem to give it a bootful.

But then, if you have millions to blow, at his age, what does it really matter? He'll be back next year.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2362251)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I hope so and that they do a follow up as it was historically very interesting.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2362271)   #4
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Did I read the date right, btw? 15-18 May???

Only the Boss has a birthday right in there, and I've been promising her a trip to Italy...

"I'm just popping out dear, shan't be long!"
Old 29 Dec 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2362300)   #5
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a dull and frustrating programme. Dull because of the focus on the people and their faux dramas and frustrating because we didn't get a true (in car) flavour of what is a fantastic event. I thought the programme did historic motorsport no favours at all.

JM came out of it really badly for spending so much money when you can do it for a tenth of the cost (MGA; TR; XK120; DB2 etc) - and then not running the engine in properly (only did 200 miles) before starting the "race".

Not sure who his advisors were but they certainly saw him coming.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2362327)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Glad you started the thread Al. I thought it was great, but shame we did not see more of the build up and preperation of the car engine ect.What did puzzle me was why did he have a very attractive blond co driver who races a pink porsche and not a mechanic who knew the car and might just of made a difference to prevent what ever whent wrong with the engine. It was nice to see the MGA finnish and as someone else said they must of spent only a fraction compaired to most of the other entrants.All in all i thought it was the best TV over the Christmas period. Did you watch Top Gear before. "what a load of rubbish". I could make a more interesting program telling you of the time i went to Isle of White pop festival on my Lambretta scooter in 1969.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2362331)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Agree there about the TopGear program, quite what it was all trying to say was beyond me and positively boring not to say dangerous for the presenters. I thought they had their warning shot with the Jet Car fiasco if Clarkson had been hurt bad when he fell off I think that may have been the end of the program.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2362338)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
What did puzzle me was why did he have a very attractive blond co driver who races a pink porsche and not a mechanic...
It doesn't sound like much of a puzzle to me.

I haven't seen it yet, although was pleased that it was also in HD Looking forward to seeing and hearing those cars.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2362341)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Not enough car, too much shopping...
Old 29 Dec 2008, 16:09 (Ref:2362354)   #10
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Not enough car, too much shopping...
What was amusing though that James found out what happened to his car in the original millia miglia in that old bookshop He should've bought the book before he bought the car.

All in all I thought the programme was OK, I only got a little bit frustrated by the commentator who went on and on about what a dangerous race it was and how fast the cars were going. It isn't even a race, it's a regularity rally

James could've bought a cheaper car but would the organisers let you participate if there are already 'dozens' of MGAs or XK120s taking part, with perhaps even better history and pedigree? With the Maserati he had more chance being accepted I think .
Old 29 Dec 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2362358)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Teddington Ted's being a bit harsh on a prog which goes out to a wide audience at prime time on the Sunday between Christmas and New Year. It needs to appeal to a variety of viewers hence the choice of a "face" (although I didn't know who he was!) rather than featuring A.N. Other competitor.

My son enjoyed it, my wife enjoyed it and yeah, I found it a diverting hour as well. Let's face it, us 10thers would only be satisfied with the FULL race played onboard in REAL TIME! But that would be a touch boring for yer average BBC2 viewer stopping on after Top Gear.

Oh, and I'm just relieved that you can throw a shed load of money at something and still break down in the first few miles.........reassures me somewhat! Would like to have heard the conversation with the engine builder.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 17:11 (Ref:2362376)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Oh, and I'm just relieved that you can throw a shed load of money at something and still break down in the first few miles.........reassures me somewhat!
I was thinking exactly the same in fact even justified me a but in front of the wife with my track record!
Old 29 Dec 2008, 17:35 (Ref:2362380)   #13
rogerbodger
Rookie

rogerbodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For anyone who missed it (myself included), it's being repeated on Sunday 4th Jan @ 19:00 and is also available on BBC iPlayer
Old 29 Dec 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2362397)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It had a wonderfully pre credit crunch feel to it - the cook had to borrow the money to buy the car and it seemed that was justified by Paul Osborne's assumption of the post race premium being correct!
I guess when he buzzed the engine the producer had to change tack and make it a much more general film.
I was amused to see a mate of mine constantly being caught on film either rolling a fag or smoking it whilst co driving an Alfa..
however for all that I did feel for the guy as at the finish he looked gutted to be a spectator and we have all been there...
Old 29 Dec 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2362414)   #15
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was nice that they showd the program as it gave us petrol heads something interesting but, I became frustrated with it I had to keep reminding myself that the point of the program was to promote his ego. Everything else seemed secondary. It was not a program about the race or the cars. I supose it is typicle of 'Celebrity Chefs' in that is all about self promotion.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2362458)   #16
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
It had a wonderfully pre credit crunch feel to it - the cook had to borrow the money to buy the car and it seemed that was justified by Paul Osborne's assumption of the post race premium being correct!
I thought the credit crunch might have had an impact on the film. The voice-over seemed to emphasize the investment aspect of it rather than the enthusiast aspect and I wondered if there was a deliberate attempt to remove sympathy for Mr Martin for the benefit of the destitute plebs.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2362459)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
All the non car nuts I have spoken to today thought it superb.The costs given were stupid and if he did pay that type of money for car/bits/money he was well and truly screwed.Why have a proper navigator as its not necessary in MM.Should have used his girlfriend at least it could have been more interesting when car stopped.Whoever did the preparation needs shooting.
Biggest problem I had was Annie asking me how much I spent having done it five times!Its a race round Italy for hooligans for Brits and Germans with Argies and Italians cheating like hell to do it properly.They are trying to slow it down and its not as good as it was 10 years ago.Good general programme and I am pleased the people who post on here are more open minded than the pompous snobbish prats on the other place.That James not a bad bloke
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2362460)   #18
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a frustratinbg programme - is he a real car nut or not - claimed he was, but some silly, naive stuff in there. Would rather have seen lots more lovely old cars driving on roads in Italy / plus some archive film, not rich celebs whining - which is what is descended into. As far hoping to sell the car on at a profit with it's 2008 provence ! I know nothing of Mr Martin and don't watch his programmes - nothing here inspired me to, sorry. Good to see Gilena Book shop making some money out of him !
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2362463)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The programme was put together by James and sold to BBC.It was his story and I think the non belivers will be suprised at the viewing figurers.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2362467)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would not get too hung up on the old "rich celeb" hobby horse as he was the only one featured the others in the programme were just petrol heads lucky enough to have a car eligible as he is but I am surprised he let that finel cut go out as it did not show him in great light. I enjoyed it and if I had a car eligibe I would try for an entry as it looks good fun.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2362468)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

You can borrow one of mine for 2010 as next years entry list has closed
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2362470)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Looking at his car collection including an F1 I would say he was definitely a car nut. Personally I would say he was badly let down myself.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2362471)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Double post

Last edited by Al Weyman; 29 Dec 2008 at 22:37. Reason: Double post!
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2362473)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
You can borrow one of mine for 2010 as next years entry list has closed
If you come with me I gratefully accept!
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2362474)   #25
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was jumping up and down as to why the head wasnt being pulled off as soon as they reached the checkpoint,and dont tell me they wouldnt be able to find a machine shop to make or modifiy a valve for them,in Italy.I felt realy sorry for him and to say he was let down is an understatement also to accuse him of not being a petrol head with the cars in his garage is a little bit of an insult.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"