Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Mar 2016, 00:30 (Ref:3619721)   #651
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Maybe everyone should just refer to it as the "Thong" instead of the "Halo".

Richard
Hale o the Thong.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3619731)   #652
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Kimi in Barcelona wearing a "thong"!

Old 4 Mar 2016, 00:59 (Ref:3619732)   #653
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Old 4 Mar 2016, 01:27 (Ref:3619737)   #654
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
playing devils advocate a bit here, but there are unintended consequences from a windscreen as well.

putting extraction to the side, how would you keep a windscreen clean? a wiper could work for rain but wouldnt be effective against oil and smoke.

and if it is made to work then that is another electronic system which could fail.

if safety is important then a driver presumably shouldnt be allowed on the course if they have a dirty screen so we have additional stops, early retirements, or DQ's for having a dirty screen etc. that would come across as rather silly no?
Well here's a question, how do you think LMP1 cars manage, going at F1 speeds for far longer periods of time?

Also bare in mind that LMP cars race at dusk and dawn when there are far more bugs about, and when the sun glares and makes the situation worse. Prototypes have tear-offs these days, but even then it's not practical to have 30 of them on one car, so for most stops, it's a good old-fashioned wipe of the windscreen in the pits.

The only time it would be a problem would be during periods of heavy rain - you'd need a very peculiarly-shaped windscreen wiper. But I'm sure there's a solution out there for that waiting to be invented...
Old 4 Mar 2016, 01:34 (Ref:3619739)   #655
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think the canopy idea was explored far enough - it would be the most aesthetically pleasing in most people's view. The issue is, of course, driver extraction but am I really supposed to believe the combined brain power of Formula One can't develop a solution to that?

My idea would be something like the glass-bubble used on the Renault Alpine A442B, which featured enough of a hole on the top to be considered an open-top chassis to comply with the regulations. This was to gain an extra 8km/h on the Mulsanne of course, but something like that with a removable strut across the top of the hole to prevent large pieces of debris or a wheel invading the cockpit would look a lot better imo

Old 4 Mar 2016, 01:56 (Ref:3619747)   #656
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I don't think the canopy idea was explored far enough - it would be the most aesthetically pleasing in most people's view. The issue is, of course, driver extraction but am I really supposed to believe the combined brain power of Formula One can't develop a solution to that?

My idea would be something like the glass-bubble used on the Renault Alpine A442B, which featured enough of a hole on the top to be considered an open-top chassis to comply with the regulations. This was to gain an extra 8km/h on the Mulsanne of course, but something like that with a removable strut across the top of the hole to prevent large pieces of debris or a wheel invading the cockpit would look a lot better imo

Is that Didier Pironi?
Old 4 Mar 2016, 02:03 (Ref:3619748)   #657
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is that Didier Pironi?
Ooooh he's good!!
Old 4 Mar 2016, 02:17 (Ref:3619751)   #658
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Ooooh he's good!!
I know my stuff Dude,
Old 4 Mar 2016, 02:40 (Ref:3619758)   #659
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well here's a question, how do you think LMP1 cars manage, going at F1 speeds for far longer periods of time?...
its the longer period of time. if an F1 driver has to come in for a canopy cleaning/extra pit stop that effectively means their race is over. over 6-24 hours it is, i wont say easier, more probable that a team can over come then it is in F1.

i dont know how valid of a point that is but when i made that comment i was sort of thinking about Webber/team who are far more able to come back from extra stop in LMP1 vs his first F1 win in which he won despite a drive through penalty...which was pretty much considered an incredibly rare occurrence.

so strictly from a point of view of a guy watching on the couch i must say i am a little skeptical of any solution that that is addressed with pit stops or passing in the pits type of thing.

similar for the extraction issue. not sure i like the additional time it will take and the prolonged SC period that would come with it.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 03:05 (Ref:3619765)   #660
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
its the longer period of time. if an F1 driver has to come in for a canopy cleaning/extra pit stop that effectively means their race is over. over 6-24 hours it is, i wont say easier, more probable that a team can over come then it is in F1.

i dont know how valid of a point that is but when i made that comment i was sort of thinking about Webber/team who are far more able to come back from extra stop in LMP1 vs his first F1 win in which he won despite a drive through penalty...which was pretty much considered an incredibly rare occurrence.

so strictly from a point of view of a guy watching on the couch i must say i am a little skeptical of any solution that that is addressed with pit stops or passing in the pits type of thing.

similar for the extraction issue. not sure i like the additional time it will take and the prolonged SC period that would come with it.
I see your concern but my main point was that muck on the screen doesn't affect the professionals as much as you think it would. I remember Brendon Hartley in the #17 Porsche 919 at Le Mans last year complaining on the radio about oil on the windshield at dusk after another car's engine had blown, but even though there was something like 17 or 18 hours left at that point, the team replied something along the lines of "tough luck mate, we can't afford to lose the time stopping you out of schedule." I don't think that would be too much of an issue. I can remember very few incidents where a car has had to pit because of wind-shield issue in touring cars, prototypes or GT racing, so I'm not too sure why Formula One would be any different?

Although this is an excuse to dig this one out again.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phrzll4Us9w

I see the point about extraction, and that's why I thought my idea above might be a good compromise. Don't the gull-wing doors of the McLaren roadcars fall off if the car's upside down or something as well? I don't really know much about this, but I get the impression they gave up on canopies because of the time and money needed to do it properly, rather than the idea being a total non-starter.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 06:30 (Ref:3619792)   #661
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
That halo looks like a thong,and the cockpit view looks like when you pull your underpants over your head....
Hey Armco, when did you stop calling it a Jandal?
Old 4 Mar 2016, 11:14 (Ref:3619852)   #662
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The idea that F1 cars would have bigger problems with debris on the windscreen is yet another example of a problem that doesn't exist. LMPs manage to go easily 45 minutes, sometimes more without the need for the tear offs. Yet hear we are saying that just wouldn't work for F1. Why not? We're creating problems to justify the ridiculous solution that they've come up with.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3619926)   #663
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I see your concern but my main point was that muck on the screen doesn't affect the professionals as much as you think it would. I remember Brendon Hartley in the #17 Porsche 919 at Le Mans last year complaining on the radio about oil on the windshield at dusk after another car's engine had blown, but even though there was something like 17 or 18 hours left at that point, the team replied something along the lines of "tough luck mate, we can't afford to lose the time stopping you out of schedule." I don't think that would be too much of an issue. I can remember very few incidents where a car has had to pit because of wind-shield issue in touring cars, prototypes or GT racing, so I'm not too sure why Formula One would be any different?

Although this is an excuse to dig this one out again.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phrzll4Us9w

I see the point about extraction, and that's why I thought my idea above might be a good compromise. Don't the gull-wing doors of the McLaren roadcars fall off if the car's upside down or something as well? I don't really know much about this, but I get the impression they gave up on canopies because of the time and money needed to do it properly, rather than the idea being a total non-starter.
In the same vein...

Old 5 Mar 2016, 13:09 (Ref:3620200)   #664
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
In the same vein...

They were using glass windshields until 2013 as far as I know, lighter and safer materials are used these days... The halo design is just hideous, a proper canopy would look better and provide better safety for the driver in most cases. Then again, F1 cars haven't looked good for a long time now, so why not use that halo.
Old 5 Mar 2016, 13:24 (Ref:3620205)   #665
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
You just answered your own question, if the Halo stops one driver being injured then it's worth having don't you think ?
I would prefer a F16 type canopy, but have no problem with this device as long as it's considered to be safe ...
Motor racing will always be dangerous ..Lewis Hamilton has responded to the trial of the Halo as if he has never seen or heard of it before ??? Rather odd don't you think !
Old 5 Mar 2016, 13:29 (Ref:3620208)   #666
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tja View Post
They were using glass windshields until 2013 as far as I know, lighter and safer materials are used these days... The halo design is just hideous, a proper canopy would look better and provide better safety for the driver in most cases. Then again, F1 cars haven't looked good for a long time now, so why not use that halo.
Yep, glass screens til the CoTF chassis was introduced.

They took the front and rear ones out because it got smoked by a wheel and tire assembly.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3623725)   #667
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go for the top fuel style canopy. NHRA forces are intense and must have figured on a 300mph+ thing crashing into anything like an errant wheel or concrete barrier. Overturned cars must have been thought of by NHRA, it likely works well. If Indy can be beat f1 to it it would be good for them and all of us, ovals can use every bit of safety possible
Old 20 Mar 2016, 04:41 (Ref:3625000)   #668
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Red Bull have come up with their own concept.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...concept-images
Old 20 Mar 2016, 05:48 (Ref:3625021)   #669
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
have to ask...but would a halo have helped or hurt in that shunt?
Old 20 Mar 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3625086)   #670
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
have to ask...but would a halo have helped or hurt in that shunt?
Indeed, what if there was a fire and Alonso wouldn't be able to get out of the car because of the HALO system?

Is the chance of one car sliding over the other in a critical manner so much larger than ending up up side down in a fire?
Old 20 Mar 2016, 09:28 (Ref:3625088)   #671
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't this crash just show how safe these cars already are? I've been reading various 'knee-jerk' comments on Twitter all morning!
Accidents happen it's just fate wether you get hurt or not.

Having a halo will have pros and cons.. Not having one has pros and cons.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 09:54 (Ref:3625091)   #672
wnut
Veteran

Alonso's crash pretty well demonstrated how lucky you can get!
If the car had entered the gravel trap upside down and slid ...

What it did demonstrate, is that the canopy is probably the better solution.

Amazing how the NHRA could implement canopies quickly and easily and yet F1 continues to fiddle around.

Apparently the NHRA canopies are bullet proof and not only aero as has been suggested.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...acing/1914579/
Old 20 Mar 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3625170)   #673
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either way the current tub and construction held up as it should in that very accident, thing could always be improved, but these things are unreal, good for Alonso and good for us too. That was nuts looking, first view of the Haas car I didn't even realize a car was back there!
Old 20 Mar 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3625185)   #674
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I didn't realise there was another car in the accident, was barely recognisable in that mess. Good to see Alonso was ok, the monocoque saved him and that's the main thing. Crash of coursed almost mirrored Brundle and Villenueve's crashes there
Old 20 Mar 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3625226)   #675
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Indeed, what if there was a fire and Alonso wouldn't be able to get out of the car because of the HALO system?

Is the chance of one car sliding over the other in a critical manner so much larger than ending up up side down in a fire?
Look at the accidents of the past 10 years. I can't recall a serious fire, but plenty of occasions when a car climbed over another and passed perilously close to the driver's head. I don't remember a flying wheel getting near a driver either (in F1). I doubt the halo would have saved Jules Bianchi.

Taking Alonso's accident today, the halo would have provided extra protection during the roll (fortunately not needed). It would also have got in the way of his exit from the car (probably) but it would have done no harm to wait until the marshals could have assisted him. On the whole, the halo would have had no effect on today's shunt, but if you ran a similar scenario 100 times, it would be better to have the halo than not.