Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Jul 2018, 07:34 (Ref:3838826)   #1
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodbye and good riddance fuel drop

https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/07/26...at-supernight/

The night race just got a whole lot more interesting for me, as it will be run without any fuel drop rules. I've had a big problem with the concept of the fuel drop since inception as I feel it takes the racing off the racetrack in a big way. If you're 2 seconds behind a car but your next stop will be 3 seconds quicker, what do you do? You wait for the stop, thanks fuel drop.

I'm a bit surprised that this doesn't really come up in discussion, but I was glad to see it mentioned after the last round at QR with drivers waving others past mid race. I saw comments from Coulthard, SVG and even John Bowe amongst others describing the way that the racing has changed thanks to the fuel rule.

I'll be very curious to see how the racing turns out without the fuel drop and if it makes a difference in the end. I believe that it will, but could of course be wrong. However, the racing at Bathurst has shown this pretty well IMO.

With how tough passing is in these cars and how close they are, long races are the way to go and without anything to take the action away from the track.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 08:53 (Ref:3838840)   #2
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/07/26...at-supernight/

The night race just got a whole lot more interesting for me, as it will be run without any fuel drop rules. I've had a big problem with the concept of the fuel drop since inception as I feel it takes the racing off the racetrack in a big way. If you're 2 seconds behind a car but your next stop will be 3 seconds quicker, what do you do? You wait for the stop, thanks fuel drop.
I don't see the issue, the fuel drop rule is there because the economy of the Nissan is poor and this way it becomes the same for everybody as it's supposed to be a parity series --- it only fair to help Nissan a bit since they were given far fewer concessions on engine homologation then Mercedes or Volvo were.

For whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, what Nissan were allowed was a lot more restrictive and disadvantageous to them. Volvo were even allowed to change up the bore and stroke to different values then the Ford and Holden, which Nissan were not allowed.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3839040)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed leo, very glad there is none of the "fuel drop" rubbish in this event....

....the shame is that they've gone and are going to force the teams to make three compulsory pitstops.......
Old 30 Jul 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3840114)   #4
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I don't see the issue, the fuel drop rule is there because the economy of the Nissan is poor and this way it becomes the same for everybody as it's supposed to be a parity series --- it only fair to help Nissan a bit since they were given far fewer concessions on engine homologation then Mercedes or Volvo were.
The issue is they've solved a problem in the pits by creating a problem on the track.

Was an alternative solution like increase refuelling flow for Nissan ever considered?

Biggest takeaway is that we currently have a system that actively discourages racing and I can't see how anyone can support that.
Old 30 Jul 2018, 09:37 (Ref:3840132)   #5
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Been thinking about this in general terms lately and I agree.

Compulsory pit stops, pit stop windows, minimum pit stop times... These things just remove strategic possibilities and also make the racing very difficult to follow from trackside.

I watched the DTM race from the Norisring the other week. Some early front runners pitted early so dropped down the order, but they were clearly still going to be the front runners when everyone had had their compulsory stop, so the TV just followed them, not the actual race leader on the road. What's the point?

I understand that there are many reasons for these rules, such as evening up the racing especially in non-formula series where you are trying to encourage variety. And it's a way of getting people talking about tyres when you have a spec tyre etc etc. But it's not racing.