Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Jan 2008, 14:44 (Ref:2109397)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Toyota plans Le Mans return with hybrid!

No timeframe as yet, but here's confirmation of the news we've been hoping for.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2109404)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We know the popularity of alternative fuel or combo fuel sorses is now. But I wonder if the LM24 with a Hybrid also has anything to do with Toyota stating if F1 does not get RESULTS ( read big wins) that Toyota will pull the pug on F1. Toyota Japan did take over the F1s Cologne's management team and gave them a 2010 dead line for results. Money may be better spent on the Hybrid LM project. Good news non the less to see Toyoto getting BACK into real sports car racing F1 is just to fricken expesive, even for manufactures.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2109409)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent news, it will be interesting to see just how well Toyota can do.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2109410)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Not a surprise for me. After diesel powered cars hybrids are the next step. With F1 becoming more and more a spec series LM prototype racing is the place to be for manufacturers who want to display their technical innovations.

BTW Toyota has already won a 24 hour race with a hybrid:
Quote:

Toyota Team SARD's specially-prepared Supra HV-R hybrid GT racer has won the Tokachi 24-hour endurance race in Japan. The converted Super GT-spec racing car did so convincingly, too. As the only GT-class car in the field, the Denso SARD Supra HV-R maintained a steady lead of several laps throughout the course of the race, and in the later hours, it essentially dialed things up a notch and ran away from the rest of the field.
Source: www.autospies.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYkK...watch_response
Great sound.....

Last edited by FIRE; 19 Jan 2008 at 15:34.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2109427)   #5
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Insightful
Old 19 Jan 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2109430)   #6
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Not a surprise for me. After diesel powered cars hybrids are the next step. With F1 becoming more and more a spec series LM prototype racing is the place to be for manufacturers who want to display their technical innovations.

BTW Toyota has already won a 24 hour race with a hybrid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYkK...watch_response
Great sound.....
when the engine gets going it actually sounds pretty damn nice but in electric mode its worse than the diesels!!!!!

god help us if it sounds like that all the time if toyota do a LMP1 or LMP2.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2109435)   #7
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not exactly what I'd call "confirmation."
Old 19 Jan 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2109490)   #8
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
when the engine gets going it actually sounds pretty damn nice but in electric mode its worse than the diesels!!!!!

god help us if it sounds like that all the time if toyota do a LMP1 or LMP2.
Thinking about it, it would only be at bits like the Dunlop chicane, the very apex of the Mulsanne chicanes, Mulsanne corner, Arnarge, and the Ford chicane that the electric motor would be used. Other than that it would be n the engine all the time imo.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 19 Jan 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2109500)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Numpty Writes: isn't the point of the electric motor that it stores energy during braking and then expels the power on acceleration (in addition to the petrol engine). I doubt it would ever run on just electric power (other than in the pitlane) - or would it cut the petrol engine during braking???
Old 19 Jan 2008, 19:59 (Ref:2109502)   #10
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
A Numpty Writes: isn't the point of the electric motor that it stores energy during braking and then expels the power on acceleration (in addition to the petrol engine). I doubt it would ever run on just electric power (other than in the pitlane) - or would it cut the petrol engine during braking???
Yep. It stores the energy, and then when accelerating, it can dump the power whenever the driver wants to/needs to.

The car will probably have a bi turbo V8 like the GT-One was, but also have the hybrid power...
Old 19 Jan 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2109520)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I find it highly unlikely that they will be anything to do with Zulltec. But where you find Honda - you tend to find Toyota - look elsewhere
ahem... sorry Graham - wasn't sure of my info so didn't want to say anything at the show

Last edited by ss_collins; 19 Jan 2008 at 20:36.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2109523)   #12
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
No problem Sam - I wasn't too far off the mark then!!
Old 19 Jan 2008, 23:51 (Ref:2109614)   #13
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article in the Japanese paper mentions Toyota's aim is Le Mans 2010 FWIW.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 05:32 (Ref:2109710)   #14
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The obvious factor is that KERS (Kinetic Energy Recycling System) is to be introduced into F1 for 2009.
The most likely way for that to be installed is by electric generation under braking, with that power reused on accelleration. As the storage time is short it is possible capacitor storage could be used in place of the much heavier battery requirement in a road going hybrid.
Maybe Cologne are looking a two birds with the one stone????
Old 20 Jan 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2109784)   #15
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting, but these news seem to come close to being an operation of promotion. I hope that Toyota will be able to caary out both F1 and a LM program.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2109830)   #16
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
Interesting, but these news seem to come close to being an operation of promotion. I hope that Toyota will be able to caary out both F1 and a LM program.
If you ask me,I simply don't see Toyota win any big prices in F1. They've had many years to do it and god knows how many billions.
All the better for the sportscar attack. I'd really love to see them finally take the win at LM for they've been so close in '98 and '99,missing out on pure bad luck...
Old 20 Jan 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2109997)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Le Mans and WRC program would serve Toyota better than F1, were they are nothing but a joke, just like Jaguar, who's misguided F1 program killed their sporting image!
Old 20 Jan 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2110027)   #18
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Toyota needs to let Williams take over their F1 program and get serious with sports cars and back in WRC
Old 20 Jan 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2110032)   #19
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Anyone remember the ill-fated Chrysler Patriot?
http://www.allpar.com/model/patriot.html
Old 20 Jan 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2110064)   #20
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
A Le Mans and WRC program would serve Toyota better than F1, were they are nothing but a joke, just like Jaguar, who's misguided F1 program killed their sporting image!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
Toyota needs to let Williams take over their F1 program and get serious with sports cars and back in WRC
Agree to 100%!
Old 20 Jan 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2110108)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cologne is 30 square km (so big the staff ride bikes in the corridors)

Has just about everything you need to build any racecar. But a hybrid powertrain is a bit much even for them - for that - I wonder if Ono san is involved - after all his crowd did develop a Super GT hybrid...

802ps and 930nm torque - sounds competitive to me

http://www.r-d.co.jp/index.cgi
Old 20 Jan 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2110122)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
No reason to think that they cant win if they put in the nessessary effort . They know how hard a race it is to win , so I reckon this time they are mega serious .

It must still gall them to think that "Mazda" won , and they didnt ..... yet !!!

Brilliant news indeed .
Old 20 Jan 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2110125)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
so big the staff ride bikes in the corridors
We used to have scooter races in the hanger corridors in SAS Sweden , but only on the night shift !!!
Old 21 Jan 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2110666)   #24
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can i throw in a 2 year time frame? By then, rules should be settled (ish) and the bosses have been given 2 years in F1 so i hear?
Old 21 Jan 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2110675)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Cologne is 30 square km (so big the staff ride bikes in the corridors)

Has just about everything you need to build any racecar. But a hybrid powertrain is a bit much even for them - for that - I wonder if Ono san is involved - after all his crowd did develop a Super GT hybrid...

802ps and 930nm torque - sounds competitive to me

http://www.r-d.co.jp/index.cgi
Did they develop a hybrid Vemac?