Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Aug 2018, 07:27 (Ref:3844894)   #1
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The broad sunlit uplands of next March. Yeah, really. .

So, as we hurtle (plummet?) towards the end date of our participation in the European jamboree has anyone anywhere actually considered what this means for Motorsport, in particular our section of club motorsport? I am surprised that the MSA has not been seen to discuss this but it is going to affect everyone who does even the odd race in Europe.
It would appear that Carnets will be necessary and even if your car has road registration the trailer and your tools and equipment will still need control documentation.
Our licences I presume will no longer be European compatible, also British officials will, in Europe, no longer be able to have authority in any thing other than full International events.
The concept of allowing one race in Europe to count for a national championship will end I presume?
What about taxes? If your championship has every round in Europe will they want to tax your income earned in Europe? Will staff need a work permit as we used to have to get to run race cars in the USA?
If calendars are being put together now, and it would be expected that they are, why are these issues not being discussed?
Now I fully understand that if governments cannot even agree on where the Police can work and who they can talk to then our play area is a long way down the agenda but surely this is, to us at least, important and the discussion should be in the public domain?
Even to know that it is being thought about would be a start......
I would also point out that for us Brits doing several races a year in Europe the carnet costs will be spread over a few races, how many Europeans will pay for a carnet to do one race in the UK? Not quite so attractive I suspect.

It is interesting to note that at the Tunnel there appears to be very little work underway to prepare for the vast increase in Customs processes that begins in March. Maybe its all out of sight...
Old 20 Aug 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3844897)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It's a massive sh*t sandwich. That's before you consider motorsport.

I can only hope the whole thing falls to pieces and gets canned, the status quo may not be perfect but its 100 times better than any other proposal thus far. We can negotiate as part of the same club, sitting at the same dinner table, but shouting from outside the garden gate won't get us very far.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 08:04 (Ref:3844898)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Yes I've given it some thought, and conclude that things will revert to how they were before we were conned into joining (and yes, I am old enough to remember). Just a bit of extra admin and forms to fill in, and off we go. Of course, the anti-Brexiteers will tend to make a mountain out of a molehill, but I'm more optimistic. A lot.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3844909)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Yes I've given it some thought, and conclude that things will revert to how they were before we were conned into joining (and yes, I am old enough to remember). Just a bit of extra admin and forms to fill in, and off we go. Of course, the anti-Brexiteers will tend to make a mountain out of a molehill, but I'm more optimistic. A lot.
Well said David, I fear the lack of self-confidence of much of the nation will lead to disaster.

We are a strong people, and we will prosper outside of the un-elected(by us) bureaucracy of Europe.

They need us more than we need them.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3844929)   #5
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was competing in Europe before Schengen .
Yes , it did mean a little bit of paperwork doing carnets , but not really any problem .
And then it meant copies to be signed at every border , not just the 1 place which might be needed now .
The only problems came if the Customs at the various borders decided to go on strike , [ like if the sun shone, or if there was a Monday in the week ]. But then I could get it sorted by a quick visit to my local C & E .

Life will go on , Motorsport will continue , imaginary disasters like this is just part of project fear to try to stop us leaving the EUSSR.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3844954)   #6
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
I was competing in Europe before Schengen .
Yes , it did mean a little bit of paperwork doing carnets , but not really any problem .
And then it meant copies to be signed at every border , not just the 1 place which might be needed now .
The only problems came if the Customs at the various borders decided to go on strike , [ like if the sun shone, or if there was a Monday in the week ]. But then I could get it sorted by a quick visit to my local C & E .

Life will go on , Motorsport will continue , imaginary disasters like this is just part of project fear to try to stop us leaving the EUSSR.

sorry, but You have that wrong,
the Schengen Treaty (an EU subgroup, which the UK never joined, hence the current passport controls between UK and France etc) concerns itself with free travel, border controls, and the need or the lack of need of passport checks for travel between Schengen states.

The Schengen Treaty does not cover customs, tariffs and trade law.

Failing an EU exit agreement (and this is by now a likely scenario) UK / EU relations will go to WTO terms. This curently means a 10 % import tax on cars + VAT (7% blanket rate if car is proven older than 30 years). Unless You have a carnet or valid UK road registration and / or can convince EU authorities that the car is in EU only temporary and will be reexported, a bond could be required to guarrantee this.
This by the way can be checked anywhere in the EU and cars/trucks can be searched with no search warrant within a certain distance from the borders (Schleierfahndung). I doubt this will happen in the first 12 months after the Brexit, mainly because there are bigger fish to fry, but who knows.

Interesting aspect: value of many historic racing cars is now so high that intentionally smuggling one into the EU (in other word, a sale withut paying import taxes) could have very severe consequences.

Things used to be different regarding taxes and tarriffs 30 years ago, more lax. I would not count on that in future.

Simons questions are extremely valid especially in the longer term.

And, no, I am not trying to scare anybody, just giving information, that can easily be checked by googling.

As far as I am concerned UK decided to leave EU, triggered the relevant process, so be it. No point whatsoever trying to stop somebody who is keen on leaving, just get it over with.

RuE
Old 20 Aug 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3844968)   #7
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well said David, I fear the lack of self-confidence of much of the nation will lead to disaster.

We are a strong people, and we will prosper outside of the un-elected(by us) bureaucracy of Europe.

They need us more than we need them.

I don't want to throw petrol on the fire but the 'them and us ' comment reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal ) newspaper headline -'Fog closes channel ports - Europe cut off'.

I voted to remain of course and ..err....remain convinced that the leave vote was the biggest mistake we have ever made. But given our tendency to take such an absurdly Anglocentric view of the world I was hardly surprised .
Old 20 Aug 2018, 14:52 (Ref:3844995)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
This is all way to heavy going for me. I shall just rock up to a border in Delta truck and shrug my shoulders. If I get turned back then I shall retire ,move to NZ and live happy ever after. Sorry Simon.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 15:02 (Ref:3844997)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I don't want to throw petrol on the fire but the 'them and us ' comment reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal ) newspaper headline -'Fog closes channel ports - Europe cut off'.

I voted to remain of course and ..err....remain convinced that the leave vote was the biggest mistake we have ever made. But given our tendency to take such an absurdly Anglocentric view of the world I was hardly surprised .
What is that odd flag under your ID, and how did you get to vote anyway?

Old 23 Dec 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3872068)   #10
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Could not agree more, and leave it at that, enough politic with the F.I.A poking it's nose into historic racing as it is, I seem to remember haulking about the mainland of Europe without much bother, except Spain now and again, but that still applies at Gibraltar occasionally, the problems all adding to the fun, and crossing borders were nowt like getting into the 'Ring' without a correct pass
Old 23 Dec 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3872070)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
, and crossing borders were nowt like getting into the 'Ring' without a correct pass [/QUOTE]

Funny it was always Spa for me
Old 30 Dec 2018, 05:39 (Ref:3873084)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I can't quite work it out- Our government are paying over £100 million for extra ferries to ply the seas between UK and France. So, does that mean as they've paid for them, we will get to use them for free...…?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...cid=spartandhp
Old 20 Aug 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3844950)   #13
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure that the issue of my thread has actually been grasped.
What I'm asking is what is likely to happen and why is this not being discussed or information being given out so we can plan our lives and in some cases, businesses. If we are given a calendar in January and we don't know what licences our customers need (as an example) how does that help?
I would point out that we have had pretty much full access to European motorsport, cheaply and more or less hassle free, since we joined Europe. The concept of "going back to what we had" is simply unknown by most competitors today.
When I started in Historic racing we did indeed have carnets, and the associated costs, and could not compete outside of the UK without an International licence and a covering letter from, then, the RAC. From memory that covering letter was specific to an event, not a generic one.
Today a large number of competitors, I would venture, compete on a National A licence, many for the reason that it does not require an ECG......
So this is not "Project Fear" but a call to find out what exactly is proposed under "Project Reality".
I would suspect that for many south of London it's currently easier to get to Spa than Oulton Park on a Bank Holiday weekend, if they now need to jump through hoops that were not there before does that drive more competitors into remaining in UK based motorsport?
Whatever the reality must surely be that external motorsport will become more expensive.
I would also add that way back then the carnet principle was well established and most of the kinks had been worked out over the many years that it had been running. I simply do not believe that that level of competence will magic into being overnight on one day in March next year. So would it not be prudent to suggest to organisers that they don't schedule European races until well into the season? Let the real hauliers and businesses work though the car park on the M20 first?

Last edited by Simon Hadfield; 20 Aug 2018 at 11:30.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3845010)   #14
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

But that's the point, you postulate but we don't know. How can you plan by guessing? How does an entire industry, which we are often told is large and important, find itself completely cut off from real, proper facts?
If they are not knowable then we should be told that too, at least we would understand that forward planning simply would not be possible.

And surely the carnet is underpinned by a bond, who undertakes to underwrite that?
Old 20 Aug 2018, 16:10 (Ref:3845018)   #15
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
But that's the point, you postulate but we don't know. How can you plan by guessing? How does an entire industry, which we are often told is large and important, find itself completely cut off from real, proper facts?
If they are not knowable then we should be told that too, at least we would understand that forward planning simply would not be possible.

And surely the carnet is underpinned by a bond, who undertakes to underwrite that?
I agree that the information has not been made public , but perhaps that is because there are still desperate attempts to stop the whole thing & therefore the rules are not yet fixed .

But you could try asking Customs & Excise what might be the new rules .
I did find them quite helpful in the past , [ but who knows now ] .

I did something like 60 odd events over Europe in the 80s & 90s .
From memory , the carnets did not cost anything at all , except my time in filling in the paperwork , [ 2 copies for every border crossed ].
Also , I used to often get start money on events , [sometimes £1000 or so ] , & checked with the relevant authorities how that stood for tax , & even if it meant that I needed business insurance for my motors .
But was told then that , if I was not making a profit as a business , nothing was needed in terms of paperwork for that .
Old 20 Aug 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3845019)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Simon, I have little doubt that Historic Racing will come within the scope of whatever regulations the UK/EU come up with, after all it is highly unlikely that the negotiators on either side will be bothered about 'your' plight. Some blanket set of rules that cover many eventualities will apply, and people will soon sort out which parts they have to bother with in regard to there individual needs. It cannot be in anybody's interest to inhibit mutual border crossing. Hopefully the MSA will be lobbying on your behalf.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 01:15 (Ref:3845103)   #17
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
But that's the point, you postulate but we don't know. ...........

Well I at least tried to answer your question but am the first to admit I'm not the best person to answer it. Who else have you asked?
HMRC? Border Force? MSA? MIA? your local MP? the CBI? Local Chamber of Commerce? Someone else I've not thought of? Anyone?
I want to believe that someone of your standing in the industry has done more than just have a vent on a forum

Back to carnets, IIRC back in the old days the only European country requiring a bond for taking a car in was Spain, never did understand why...
Old 20 Aug 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3845029)   #18
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Simon, to try to find an answer to your first question, I think you can compete anywhere with an international C racing licence, its the principle of international. This must be stated in appendix.
In France, I think that a national licence and a letter of agreement from our federation is enough to enter if, and only if, a race or a series is organised abroad by a French organiser.
The carnet thing, we already know it, can be simple or a hassle often depending on the custom officers.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 19:26 (Ref:3845063)   #19
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the processing of the paperwork at the Border, as someone who used to do the job in the days before free movement of goods around the EU was introduced and will (may?) be doing it come March, can I chuck in a couple of observations...

In the 'old' days, the carnet & import/export paperwork was produced direct to the Customs office at the Port and was cleared there in one transaction. These days, although the Carnet (or whatever is introduced) will need to be produced to the Border Force at the port, the clearance paperwork will need to be submitted separately to the central HMRC processing unit in Salford and it will be up to Border Force to complete the Carnet and let HMRC in Salford know it's OK to clear. Don't expect the immediate clearance you'd expect.

In November HMRC will be introducing a new entry clearance system in parallel with the old one, with full replacement due in March - nobody knows if it will be able to cope with the volume of declarations if the "hard" Brexit happens.

We know as much about what is going to happen as you do!
Old 21 Aug 2018, 06:32 (Ref:3845119)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>>Any idea how many of the British drivers in the Spa 6 hours would be put off by a bit of admin and a few hundred quid extra?

Delta has already answered that question. If that most prolific and gentlemanly of racers CBA with the paperwork, what price the rest of the not-so-committed grid?

The whole thing is an utter shambles. However don't we have a two year transition period while we raise the cash? Isn't the real deadline March 2021 or have I misunderstood? Whatever, none of our current leaders have the faintest glimmering of an idea on what to do. How can we get to six months out and not have all our ducks in a row and be telling business how it will work?

Perhaps in July 2020 there'll be another "transition period" before full withdrawal being kicked into the long grass one or two "transition periods" down the line. As Sir Humphrey would have prevaricated: "Oh Minister, Brexit is a tremendous idea. But we need to investigate the ramifications, legal problems, security problems, that kind of thing. But a WONDERFUL idea Minister. In the fullness of time. At the appropriate juncture. "

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Aug 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3845138)   #21
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The whole thing is an utter shambles. However don't we have a two year transition period while we raise the cash? Isn't the real deadline March 2021 or have I misunderstood? Whatever, none of our current leaders have the faintest glimmering of an idea on what to do. How can we get to six months out and not have all our ducks in a row and be telling business how it will work?
Very true - maybe the ardent Brexiteers "who know what they voted for" could explain to the govt. what that is, then they would at least have a starting point!

The two year extension only applies if there is an agreement, if there is "no deal" then the cliff edge is reached in March next year.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3845145)   #22
bauble
Veteran

England
Having no vested interest in the subject, not even owning a passport, I should not comment, however, one point that makes me wonder is how do the customs (whoever they are) value a forty odd year old car?

You pay several £10,000's for a 1965 F3 car for instance (figure plucked from the ether), but at the end of the day it is an obsolete model, and worth only scrap value like any old banger.

Is there a book value available for official use?
Surely the value of any object is what someone is willing to pay for it, and who wants an out-dated racing car?

Just wondering.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 09:12 (Ref:3845146)   #23
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Auction results, any one of the internet race car sales sites, private ads, there is a huge resource available to HMC.
A mate of mine bought a used Cannondale bike frame in the States on one of our trips, bought it home hand baggage and HMC valued it to within £10 of the price he paid privately.
They do know their job.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3845148)   #24
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As ever Simon is talking bucket loads of common sense, and as he says we are all mushrooms.

On a lighter note, in my day in the late 70's and early 80's we always bought packets of 100 Marlboro's in the Duty Free Shop on the boat out and always found Customs men to be very helpful, but that was when the world was sensible
Old 21 Aug 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3845149)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Auction results, any one of the internet race car sales sites, private ads, there is a huge resource available to HMC.
A mate of mine bought a used Cannondale bike frame in the States on one of our trips, bought it home hand baggage and HMC valued it to within £10 of the price he paid privately.
They do know their job.
Thanks Simon, the HMC know how to extract money from any situation …. well not from multi-national conglomerates - of course.