Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2760007)   #101
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks mate!
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2760023)   #102
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
You are welcome!

Before I get to all the rear engined German stuff (which will take another week!), last few Regularity entries. Sadly one car cannot find a pic of anywhere is the interesting & unusual Alfa Guilia TZ of Mark & Stefan Vandendijk. This unfortunatley did not last the event, retiring with engine problems.

3 that did though. First the Linwood's (Bob & Anne) Citroen SM

The very nice looking MGBGT V8 of Stephen Tierney & Graeme McHugh (so 2 MGs in all, not one as previously declared!)

And joining in the fun on last day the Fiat 126P of Jeremy Hunter & Tony Gillion-

All pics again from TB site as we were never in right place to take any!
Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2760118)   #103
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I was interested to see Brad in the old Riley....last few times I've seen him has been on le Jog when he's usually piloting an old Bronco.....must be unusual for him to see the world from about 3 foot lower....
Old 16 Sep 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2760280)   #104
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Before the multiple 911 pics- there was of course one 'Water Porsche' on the event, the 924 Turbo of Rick Pearson & Harvey Bell. As Rick has said in earlier post, the car eventually retired with engine failure at Anglesey. Pictured here at Oulton in the dry race-
Old 16 Sep 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2760408)   #105
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
... in Competition, the Riley Bigley Special of Brad Mottier & Bill Hoff. My compliments to both of them for their attire and the way they coped with the speed differential during the races. Brad had another car at the event HQ, his amazing 240Z- or 240 'Zee' should I say- rally car. Sadly I never got the chance to take a picture or have a close look!
Mike,

Was it this 240Z? Crewed by Brad & Barry Mottier (I think) on last year's event. I was time-keeping and managed to get a few photos at the Harewood Hill Climb stage.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
GJC_1281_edited-1.JPG   GJC_1302_edited-1.jpg   GJC_1304_edited-1.JPG  

Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2760507)   #106
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Spot on Gary- it was on a trailer this year (spare car) but I think Brad went off from Leicester finish somewhere in it! Good job I couldn't get a close look- would have left drool everywhere.....

Thanks for the pics!
Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2760514)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
On to the 12 Porsche 911s entered, 3 in Regularity and rest in Competition. The first 3, pics again from TB website-

The Regularity winners, Howard Warren & Guy Woodcock-

No11, Tarek & Renate Mahmoud, 2.7 RS-

Lastly, the 2.8 RSR of Richard Borgonon & Dennis Mahoney-
Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2760521)   #108
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
In Competition, 3 x 911 together in one pic!

In foreground, 3 litre RS of Paul Hogarth & Darren Knutton.

Sandwiched, Jeremy Cooke & Mike Dowd's RSR. Their event was effectively over on first day. After setting fastest times at Aintree, during first lap of Oulton race an impact between the Aston Rally GT's front wheel and the RSR's right rear collapsed the spun rim, also damaging the centrelock hub and oil pipes. The car was repaired that evening and continued next day.

3rd in the queue, Ian Tandy & Rachel Moran in their 2.7 RS.

At same corner, the winning car of Sean Lockyear & Ian Reed muscles it's way through-

The nicely prepared early car of Richard Jackson & Yvonne Mehta. They were originally entered in a Ginetta G10.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2760527)   #109
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Should be last lot of Porsches! First, the quick John Clark & Emma-Jane Gilbart-Smith RS leaves the line at Oulton-

Anthony Robinson & Mark Witherspoon in 911S-

#37, the 911E of Martin Rigney & Colin Parkinson climbs Great Orm-

While Philip & Barbara Smith wait at the time control before the start of same stage-
Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2760537)   #110
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Which leaves 3 cars, I think. First the very nice Cobra of Mark Freeman & Andre Genillard. Sadly to retire on Great Orme on second day.

Last, the Targa class for modern cars consisted of 2 opposites, and I mean no offence in that comment! First, the game little MX5 racecar of John & Duncan Freeman-

And the 'awesome Aston' Rally GT of Jeremy Bailey & Philip Dolby-
Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2760553)   #111
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
All my posted photos were either from the Tour Britannia website (thank you!), taken by fellow driver in car 31, James Paterson, or by his better half and 'support crew' Suzanne. I have to thank both of them most sincerely for agreeing to 'do' Tour Britannia with me and finding time to take pics as well! Not sure any of us realised what we were letting ourselves in for but it worked!

Gilbert now ready for Spa, and hoping for none of this-

Old 17 Sep 2010, 08:35 (Ref:2760778)   #112
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
as someone who is starting to "get" early 911's these are mouth watering photo's thanks Mike!
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2760798)   #113
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
With a good car 911 2 litre now between 60/100 K why not try Alpine.

A good RSL is 250K and RST 160K and up.

Cannot get starts in the major events due to number entered unless you have a connection.

People want 300 K for 911 ST .

911's finished in capacity order!
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:20 (Ref:2760803)   #114
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My ambitions are considerably more modest - I would be looking for a road car!
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2760805)   #115
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Get a good one for 20K,late 993
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2760807)   #116
simon drabble
Veteran

I agree 993 seems extraordinary good value and as a daily hack very tempting. I was actually looking at something a little earlier..
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2760812)   #117
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Before the multiple 911 pics- there was of course one 'Water Porsche' on the event, the 924 Turbo of Rick Pearson & Harvey Bell. As Rick has said in earlier post, the car eventually retired with engine failure at Anglesey. Pictured here at Oulton in the dry race-
Much under rated cars in my view - good to see one competing.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 11:34 (Ref:2760852)   #118
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The 924 GTS Club Sport whatever it is should be the car for people to buy.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 15:57 (Ref:2760942)   #119
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the 924 Carrera GT was reckoned to be a fantastic car; Derek Bell reckoned it was the best road car he'd ever had (& I think he still has it). The GTS was a rally version, I think, & the GTR was the race version.

All very rare now.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2761159)   #120
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Sure Fred has no problem,do you Fred
Sorry - late to the party!

No, of course we have no objection. The more the merrier.

Fred
Old 20 Sep 2010, 05:19 (Ref:2761754)   #121
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gallagher View Post
Sorry - late to the party!

No, of course we have no objection. The more the merrier.

Fred
Thanks Fred! Bumped into Alec on Friday and he raised no objections either.

Nice write by Marcus in his column last thurs but disappointing event coverage in both weeklies? Well done Octane for getting brief report in latest edition and recognising the IoP win by a Welsh built car in the year the event visited Wales!

Shame about the photo though