Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Aug 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3846981)   #226
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
If it's outside a race meeting then championship regs are irrelevant.
Which is what I was saying.

The regulation for ballast applies to sessions during a race meeting, and states that a driver can take over a car registered to another driver (subject to 45kg ballast penalty). It doesn't have to be a substitute, and is not bringing in a replacement car.

Aside from assertions here, I am still seeing nothing in the regulations preventing Turkington from switching chassis during a meeting if his own is damaged, providing that the other car was already part of the meeting.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 05:46 (Ref:3847014)   #227
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure where this idea comes from.
Thinkback to Brands GP last year, Rob said before qualifying he couldn't compete, his car sat in the garage all weekend whilst Turks has issues throughout quali and spent most of it in the pits from what I remember. If it was as simple as strapping him in the sister car they would have used that opportunity I'm sure
Old 30 Aug 2018, 07:46 (Ref:3847022)   #228
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Aside from assertions here, I am still seeing nothing in the regulations preventing Turkington from switching chassis during a meeting if his own is damaged, providing that the other car was already part of the meeting.
give me strength....

so that would mean they would be replacing his car thats been damaged!

no replacement cars are allowed so it doesnt matter if its already taking part in the meeting or sitting back at the workshop. its still a replacement for his own car during the meeting.

Last edited by touring fan01; 30 Aug 2018 at 07:52.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 08:46 (Ref:3847026)   #229
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
give me strength....

so that would mean they would be replacing his car thats been damaged!

no replacement cars are allowed so it doesnt matter if its already taking part in the meeting or sitting back at the workshop. its still a replacement for his own car during the meeting.
OK - I get what you are saying. A driver already competing, using another car, would be considered a replacement in your interpretation of the rule.

But my question still goes unanswered:

What would constitute a driver taking over another registered car, who is not a substitute?
Old 30 Aug 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3847027)   #230
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
OK - I get what you are saying. A driver already competing, using another car, would be considered a replacement in your interpretation of the rule.

But my question still goes unanswered:

What would constitute a driver taking over another registered car, who is not a substitute?
dont understand your question.

during an actual race meeting it cant happen as it would be a replacement, because its not the same car as what he started the race meeting with.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3847032)   #231
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
dont understand your question.

during an actual race meeting it cant happen as it would be a replacement, because its not the same car as what he started the race meeting with.
Ignoring whether it is a replacement or not - the wording of rule 1.11.1.c.iii) is that:

'Any driver, including substitute drivers, who takes-over the registered car of another driver will also take over the success-weight ballast...….'

So my question is - how can a driver take over another car and not be a substitute?

The addition of the parenthetical punctuation in the sentence means that a driver who takes over another driver's car is not necessarily a substitute. So far, no example of how this can be done has been provided.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3847034)   #232
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Ignoring whether it is a replacement or not - the wording of rule 1.11.1.c.iii) is that:

'Any driver, including substitute drivers, who takes-over the registered car of another driver will also take over the success-weight ballast...….'

So my question is - how can a driver take over another car and not be a substitute?

The addition of the parenthetical punctuation in the sentence means that a driver who takes over another driver's car is not necessarily a substitute. So far, no example of how this can be done has been provided.
a substitute is a temporary stand-in for the original driver until he comes back. the original driver might have been sick etc.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 10:12 (Ref:3847041)   #233
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
a substitute is a temporary stand-in for the original driver until he comes back. the original driver might have been sick etc.
I think hypothetically let's say earlier in the year Jake Hill was looking to join Amd after leaving team hard.
Let's say he was second in the championship, and the move went through, would we expect him to carry 66kg on championship weight, 45kg as a new entry or 0kg as Boardman championship weight, or maybe 111kg championship + substitute weight
Old 30 Aug 2018, 10:29 (Ref:3847044)   #234
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I think hypothetically let's say earlier in the year Jake Hill was looking to join Amd after leaving team hard.
Let's say he was second in the championship, and the move went through, would we expect him to carry 66kg on championship weight, 45kg as a new entry or 0kg as Boardman championship weight, or maybe 111kg championship + substitute weight
he carries his championship weight in whatever car he drives. so 66kg
Old 30 Aug 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3847045)   #235
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
he carries his championship weight in whatever car he drives. so 66kg
Yes I think the confusion is
"Any driver, including substitute drivers, who takes-over the registered car of another driver will also take over the success-weight ballast"

I'll need to see the full context as I'd imagine it states championship ballast comes first
Old 30 Aug 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3847046)   #236
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I get what a substitute is.
I'm asking - under the rules, what would not be a substitute?
Old 30 Aug 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3847049)   #237
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
when its a change of driver for that entry and not just a temporary substitute.

honestly i cant help you anymore if you dont understand the difference between a change of the nominated driver for that entry and a temporary substitute (stand in) driver.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3847051)   #238
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
See my earlier post, with examples
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Driver B taking over for driver A for a limited number of races is a substitute - eg Ricky Collard is a substitute for Rob

Driver A leaving and driver B taking over is a replacement - eg Dan Lloyd was a replacement for James Nash
Old 30 Aug 2018, 11:26 (Ref:3847053)   #239
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes I think the confusion is
"Any driver, including substitute drivers, who takes-over the registered car of another driver will also take over the success-weight ballast"
It helps if you read the full line in the regs
"Any driver, including substitute drivers, who takes-over the registered car of another driver will also take over the success-weight ballast (1.11.1.c) of the departing driver up to that time, or 45kg, whichever is the greater."

If the previous driver had more than 45kg of championship ballast the the new driver carries that amount. If the previous driver had less than 45kg then the new driver carries 45kg.

It's really not that difficult.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 13:27 (Ref:3847062)   #240
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Nope, definitely not getting confused.

Let’s say the minimum height across the grid is 75mm and the minimum weight is 1300kg

If BMR have been told they need to run an extra 100kg to run at 75mm by can remove weight for a height increase, let’s say 10kg per 10mm for ease of calculation...

If they run at 85mm and at 90kg over the min weight, the weight is easy to measure but how can anyone be sure they’re not running under the new 85mm height their sliding scale would allow?

If they’ve been told they can run higher and lose weight, their minimum height is not as straight forward as everyone else’s.

So... The Scooby specific COG penalty has nothing to do with overall weight of the car. A weight is added to a specific location on the bulkhead which is changed up or down based on ride height. This is to compensate for the extra weight in a specific location that the non-boxer engine'd cars have due to the weight of the cylinder head.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3847073)   #241
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
So... The Scooby specific COG penalty has nothing to do with overall weight of the car. A weight is added to a specific location on the bulkhead which is changed up or down based on ride height. This is to compensate for the extra weight in a specific location that the non-boxer engine'd cars have due to the weight of the cylinder head.
Alan Gow:

'In very simple terms it's a graph that provides the team with a sliding-scale combination of some weight added to the front bulkhead or an increase in the sprung-mass floor height of the car (but not the front and rear aero ride-heights). Providing it meets the line on the graph then the team can decrease the weight on the bulkhead and increase the floor height, or vice-versa, to suit the balance of their car.'
Old 30 Aug 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3847074)   #242
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Alan Gow:

'In very simple terms it's a graph that provides the team with a sliding-scale combination of some weight added to the front bulkhead or an increase in the sprung-mass floor height of the car (but not the front and rear aero ride-heights). Providing it meets the line on the graph then the team can decrease the weight on the bulkhead and increase the floor height, or vice-versa, to suit the balance of their car.'
so they use the same aero ride height check roller as on all the others cars as they all have the same aero ride height. thats easier then.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3847077)   #243
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
so they use the same aero ride height check roller as on all the others cars as they all have the same aero ride height. thats easier then.
Yes - but I note Gow only refers to front and rear.

Is there anything in the sides not being referred to, and the side(s) being where they failed at Knockhill?
Old 30 Aug 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3847082)   #244
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Yes - but I note Gow only refers to front and rear.

Is there anything in the sides not being referred to, and the side(s) being where they failed at Knockhill?
it would include the sides. the cars dont have different measurments around different points of the car as its an overall minimum ride height
Old 30 Aug 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3847090)   #245
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ant Whorton-Eales was a substitute driver at AMD.
Glynn Geddie is a replacement driver.

Substitutes are allowed to race at a single meeting if the nominated driver is unavailable. They do not count as driver changes. (So AMD can make another driver change without penalty).
Old 30 Aug 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3847105)   #246
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Learned something new there. So Shaun can run anybody else for the last two rounds. Or Geddie for Silverstone and AN Other for Brands.

AWE could be back then as his last Mini outing sits on the weekend between Silverstone and Brands. It's not going to be Jake, not a chance for this season.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3847139)   #247
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Ant Whorton-Eales was a substitute driver at AMD.
Glynn Geddie is a replacement driver.

Substitutes are allowed to race at a single meeting if the nominated driver is unavailable. They do not count as driver changes. (So AMD can make another driver change without penalty).
both AWE and GG had 45kg penalties

http://www.btcc.net/2018/07/25/amd-whorton-eales/
http://www.btcc.net/2018/08/08/glynn...urance-racing/
Old 30 Aug 2018, 21:13 (Ref:3847141)   #248
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
As per rule 1.11.1.c.iii)