Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Jul 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2257390)   #1
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who deserves to be paid for their BTCC drive

As you know nearly all the field actually pay for their BTCC drives so lets assume the situation is changed and now they are paid, who do you think is worthy of the employment? and who would you bring to replace the dropped drivers?

My list is

Giovarnadi
Neal
Onslow Cole
Plato
Turkington
Shedden
Kane
Jordan Sr
Jordan Jr
Adam Jones
Matt Allison

The rest I would drop.

Bring in:

Murray
Matt Allison
Dan Eves
Anthony Reid
Ben Winrow
Gareth Howell
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2257394)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
List 1 - what to happened to Mat Jackson? Andy Jordan isn't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment, although he isn't the star underperfomer - Stephen Jelley is badly failing in the second WSR car, probably was a terrible career move after doing GP2 Asia.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2257395)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would personally remove Kane from the list, and possibly both Jordans. In their place I would put Mat Jackson, and consider Chilton. Also, do you think the likes of Priaulx et al. should be included in the list of worthy drivers?
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2257398)   #4
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting Idea.

I'd add Collard to that list, he's doing at least as well as Kane. I think Stockton's doing a good job as well considering what he's driving.

As for Allison, he's never really impressed me, seemed solid but not particularly quick.

I'd love to see that lot back as well, I'd probibly add Carl Breeze to that list, and I'd love to see Anthony Reid back.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2257410)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not that sure about Allison - surprised to see Turner isn't in your list. I'd say half his troubles are down to car faults, he's quite often just as quick as Plato.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2257417)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tom Chilton would be on my list for sure, as would Darren Turner. From the orginal list I would drop Allison and the Jordan's.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2257451)   #7
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mat Allison appears on both lists, I'd guess that the Matt Allison on the first list is supposed to be Mat Jackson
Old 25 Jul 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2257604)   #8
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Boardman in the second list?! And also is Hodget's good season in Clios last year that easily forgotten?
Old 25 Jul 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2257637)   #9
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
chilton?!!?!?!?! No way! For a start i dont think he will be able to continue to be a racing driver for much longer as helmets can only be made so big and his head seems to swell evertime i see him, without reason as well as he really doesnt set the world on fire!
I believe Kane deserves payment, as does Stockton, and Doyle could suprise a few if he had a better car!
As for returnees, definately Murry!
Simon
Old 25 Jul 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2257702)   #10
Icebaby
Veteran

Sorry for leaving Matt Jackson out, he would be in the list of being paid,
Boardman a good choice, Hodgetts I didnt rate from his time in the BTCC before.

Matt Allison on both lists as he has driven this year and may return or may not!

Collard, Im not sure about especially being over shadowed by Turkinton and Kane as team mates for the last few years.

Turner has done better this year but I felt last years performance did not warrant a second chance.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2257742)   #11
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if all these drivers were paid we'd have a grid full of manufacturers and that would be good!

i'd love to see reido back in a works drive 'hustling' his way through the pack.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2257752)   #12
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no Jonathan Adam????? the man has been clio champ, seat champ and after a run of bad luck this year thanks to an old car and new car probs is hot on Rob Lawson in this year's cup. also fast in every car he has ever tested

if given a BTCC drive in a half decent car Jonathan will win races as that si what he does best WIN
Old 25 Jul 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2257898)   #13
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pay Micky Doyle, Huffy, Johnny Adam, Ben Winrow, Phil Bennet, Steven Kane, TOC, Tom Boardman and Martyn Byford (and I would have to say Rob Lawson) and remove all the bigheaded ones.... Gio, Neal, Plato, Turner, Jelley, Jordans (marginal that though).

Mind you I would just drool way too much
Old 25 Jul 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2257911)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When you consider that guys like Murray and Allison are without a drive, it seems like a shame that Jelley got the WSR opportunity. I don't think he's ever going to adapt now.

Mike Jordan's a very good driver, but ideally would have been in BTCC long-term 20 years ago. Andy Jordan's already good, but won't be worthy of a works drive for 2-3 years yet.

Of course, this is all quite moot - if there was a works BMW team (for example) they would use at least 1 of their contracted international drivers, rather than British series veterans.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 06:12 (Ref:2258036)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
pay Micky Doyle, Huffy, Johnny Adam, Ben Winrow, Phil Bennet, Steven Kane, TOC, Tom Boardman and Martyn Byford (and I would have to say Rob Lawson) and remove all the bigheaded ones.... Gio, Neal, Plato, Turner, Jelley, Jordans (marginal that though).
Sounds like a poor series to me if it's just your mates in it Les.....
Old 26 Jul 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2258048)   #16
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
When you consider that guys like Murray and Allison are without a drive, it seems like a shame that Jelley got the WSR opportunity. I don't think he's ever going to adapt now.

Mike Jordan's a very good driver, but ideally would have been in BTCC long-term 20 years ago. Andy Jordan's already good, but won't be worthy of a works drive for 2-3 years yet.

Of course, this is all quite moot - if there was a works BMW team (for example) they would use at least 1 of their contracted international drivers, rather than British series veterans.

Good points raised here, Murray I understand is racing in a WTCC support race series in a Seat, with the right budget I still think his Alfa would have been there in BTCC mixing it up with Adam Jones, Allison like so many has been caught out by the credit crunch but if he continues in the clios will be a threat to Winrow.

The situation at WSR and Jelley survies only due to money, I am suprised his backers continue to fund this venture and that title sponsers RAC have not asked for him to be removed. He has had long enough now and its not worked out. Had they been able to retain Onslow Cole the team would now be giving Seat a run for their money..such a waste of a good car with other drivers capable of being much quicker.It is all about money and nothing else in this situation.

A BMW works set up may happen in time but it proberbly needs Honda to full commit and another manufacturer, as things stand BMW PR is doing very well with 4 BMW's up their at the front so is it worth the Investment?

With all the drivers mentioned as deserving a drive what a field you could build, one thing I would love to see in BTCC is a guest drive at each round like in the Porsche series this would allow talent to step forward, Seat for example could run a third car on this basis and with a bit of rule tweaking in that ther car ran with no weight on entering and all points counted towards manufacturer championship this would help justify it and allow all the drivers mentioned a crack at it in a quick car. Job done!
Old 26 Jul 2008, 08:32 (Ref:2258063)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Sounds like a poor series to me if it's just your mates in it Les.....
Agreed. I'm sure they are all lovely people but be seriously suggesting you want to replace Gio with Phil Bennett?
Old 26 Jul 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2258182)   #18
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
First can some1 come up with the list of actually paid drivers and than we can think of who we can add to that list.
Old 26 Jul 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2258241)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From reading posts before on the subject I think all who are paid are:

Giovanardi
Neal
Plato
Turner
Turkington
Old 26 Jul 2008, 23:14 (Ref:2258319)   #20
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What about the Honda boys? Neither of them getting a salary either?
Old 26 Jul 2008, 23:21 (Ref:2258320)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Both bring sponsorship as far as I know. Although I imagine they both take a cut of that wad of sponsorship cash!
Old 26 Jul 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2258322)   #22
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
What about the Honda boys? Neither of them getting a salary either?
Chilton paid?! What a dark day that'd be.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2258413)   #23
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
From reading posts before on the subject I think all who are paid are:

Giovanardi
Neal
Plato
Turner
Turkington
Yep spot on as far as I know as well, any saleries the others take is through sponsership and not the team paying them.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2258474)   #24
BtccRob08
Rookie

BtccRob08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep:

Plato
Jones (give him a works drive with Seat, running 3 cars)
Turner
Neal
Gio
TOC
Jackson
Kane
Collard
Shedden
Turkington
Doyle (in a good car)
and of course John George

then bring in...

Reid
Menu
Rydell
Tarquini
Huff
Harvey
Byford
Winrow
Bridgeman
Eaves
Murray
(Michael) Bentwood

What a championship that would be. It would never happen though! lol
Old 27 Jul 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2258514)   #25
BtccRob08
Rookie

BtccRob08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stef Hodgetts drove a good race in clios just then. After that and his win in the Porsches at Croft, he deserves to be in the BTCC.