Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Jul 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2260357)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
N-Technology brings in a second Honda Accord

N-Technology will bring a second Honda Accord for the World Touring Car Championship races at Monza, Italy, and Okayama, Japan. The Japanese driver Yukinori Taniquchi will join James Thompson in a second Honda Accord.

"We have been looking into running a second car for some time," said N.Technology Team Manager Andrea Muller.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2557
Old 30 Jul 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2260365)   #2
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this a Japanese-driver-affiliated-with-Honda or a Japanese-driver-to-attract-Honda?
Old 30 Jul 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2260381)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Or a Japanese-driver-with-more-money-than-talent?

But still every extra car is great, especially if it's a car from a top team like N.Tech.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2260394)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does anyone else think though that this car looks a bit of a dog!

Thommo seems to be really struggling, what is the consensus of opinion as to its slow pace?

It has been quick before I recall in private hands, Colciago etc
Old 30 Jul 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2260395)   #5
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would also be interested to know whether this guy has any existing links to Honda as that could be a good sign for the future.

I had a feeling we would see Sato or Davidson in a second car if one became available, maybe a third car in the future? (forgive my hope that we haven't seen the end of Sato in a Honda )
Old 30 Jul 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2260418)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
That should be Yukinori Taniguchi.
Can't say I've heard of him but a quick Google shows a history of GT / Endurance racing
Old 30 Jul 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2260419)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sato in the WTCC ... could be interesting
Old 30 Jul 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2260459)   #8
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Sato in the WTCC ... could be interesting
I always thought Touring Cars would suit his style, well, Touring Cars or a Demolition Derby series

I wonder what kind of Japanese driver Mr Taniguchi will be, a Kamikaze that runs into everybody in his way, or so slow that he can't catch anybody so just sticks his car in the gravel trap or wall every race?
Old 30 Jul 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2260468)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder

Thommo seems to be really struggling, what is the consensus of opinion as to its slow pace?

It has been quick before I recall in private hands, Colciago etc
I am sure N.Technology has not the same budget as the factory teams of BMW, SEAT and Chevrolet. Besides that it's an old car. The last few years the car didn't get much development. If I remember well Colciago had some very good races (Mexico) but in general he was not a front runner.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2260503)   #10
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper
I had a feeling we would see Sato or Davidson in a second car if one became available, maybe a third car in the future? (forgive my hope that we haven't seen the end of Sato in a Honda )
Well Davidson has raced a JAS-built Honda touring car before. Who knows what the future holds.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2260514)   #11
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder

I think it can to a large degree be N Tech & Tommo struggling with finding correct tire settings. They started out behind and almost every where they go they are in a new tire+track situation and have only 1 car to collect data from.

As a resonaly valid comparrison compair the 2 STCC Hondas relative the Volvo C30. The Hondas in general are performing really well in STCC, but they collected data from the car+track+tire combo already last year and can thus reap the benefits this year.

Also, do note that in STCC the Hondas carry considerabely more weight than the Volvo while at Brands Hatch the opposite was true. Yet Dahlgren was all over Thompson.

Getting a 2nd car + coming back to the same tracks next year I think will be what will make the difference for Honda.

The choise of this new Japanise driver however I'm sure is very heavily connected to economical reasons. After all, if they where just looking for the quickest guy to drive the 2nd car, STCC 2006 champion Thed Björk is already very successfully driving the very same car in STCC. Lets hope this Japanese guy don't just bring cash but can drive as well
Old 30 Jul 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2260520)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Well Davidson has raced a JAS-built Honda touring car before. Who knows what the future holds.
When?

They should put Sato in an Accord at the Japanese WTCC event.

This year the new Accord was launched so if Honda is serious about a WTCC project JAS/N.Technology need to develop a new car for next season.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2260535)   #13
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
I think it can to a large degree be N Tech & Tommo struggling with finding correct tire settings. They started out behind and almost every where they go they are in a new tire+track situation and have only 1 car to collect data from.

As a resonaly valid comparrison compair the 2 STCC Hondas relative the Volvo C30. The Hondas in general are performing really well in STCC, but they collected data from the car+track+tire combo already last year and can thus reap the benefits this year.

Also, do note that in STCC the Hondas carry considerabely more weight than the Volvo while at Brands Hatch the opposite was true. Yet Dahlgren was all over Thompson.

Getting a 2nd car + coming back to the same tracks next year I think will be what will make the difference for Honda.
Wow, I actually agree on you for once
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:37 (Ref:2260563)   #14
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't describe the Accord as a dog but would say the prject was delivered to late to have any chance this year, the new driver for the second car is with doubt either paying for the drive or at the request of Honda.

I couldn't agree more that there was a golden chance of putting Sato in the car which should have been considered and actioned if Honda are paying for the second car/driver.

I still think Tommo and N-Tech should have run the Alfa again this year and run the accord as a second car for another driver with a full assult next year, bear in mind also the accord thommo is running has now been replaced by Honda so was this year really worth it if Honda are to step in and if they do will obviously want to run the latest Accord.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2260564)   #15
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any ideas if the second accord has been built and whos paying for it?
Old 30 Jul 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2260578)   #16
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I agree the Accord isn't a dog but having seen the way he was manhandling it around Brands I suspect much of it's relatively good performance is down to Thompson. I'm certainly not expecting great things from the second car in the hands of what I assume is a driver with limited FWD touring car experience.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2260632)   #17
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
When?
Macau Ghia in 2002. He raced a JAS-built Civic Type-R.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2260927)   #18
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is 40 years old and he owns an enterpise which is operating a video games company called 'Yuke's'.the race seat is pay from his pocket I belive.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2260983)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think if Honda become serious about WTCC, they'll race under the Acura banner. They plan to enter the European market with Acura in 2009 or 2010, and some victories against BMW would definitely make them look good
Old 31 Jul 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2261034)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought it was Taniguchi the drift king at first! But sadly it isnt!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2261077)   #21
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get Thed a car and we'll see some results soon.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2261254)   #22
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Get Thed a car and we'll see some results soon.
I really can't say I rate Björk over Thommo, to be honest.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2261354)   #23
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Difficult to know which driver is better since they havn't even competed in the same series. But for sure Thed and his engeneers has managed to unlock a lot more of the Hondas potential so far, so N-tech and Tommo could likely get pretty useful input from them.

Then again, a big fat wallet and some local Okayama track knowledge might be exactly what the WTCC Honda team is missing.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2261500)   #24
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Difficult to know which driver is better since they havn't even competed in the same series. But for sure Thed and his engeneers has managed to unlock a lot more of the Hondas potential so far, so N-tech and Tommo could likely get pretty useful input from them.
How can you say that when they haven't ran on the same tires or against eachother? Thats complete nonsense.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2261518)   #25
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport this week reports that the team is "unlikely to return to the WTCC in 2009."
Anyone else heard anything about this?
Just a pipe dream but, Thommo + Honda + N-tech + BTCC = woop! Would be good no?
Simon