Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 27 Aug 2017, 21:46 (Ref:3762165)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Audi introduces "innovative" engine designations

You know that Mercedes-Benz and BMW don't use real engine displacements to name their engines.

In BMW, the ?18i is 1.6L, the ?30i is 2.0L, and the ?40i is 3.0L.

In Mercedes-Benz, the ?200 is 1.6L, ?300 is 2.0L, the ?43 AMG is 3.0L, and the ?63 is 4.0L.

Not to be left behind, Audi decided to go full retard.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...-naming-system

o- 107-127 bhp -> "30"
o- 145-159 bhp -> "35"
o- 165-198 bhp -> "40"
o- 223-244 bhp -> "45"
o- 278-304 bhp -> "50"
o- 423-449 bhp -> "60"
o- + 529 bhp -> "70"
Old 28 Aug 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3762251)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Why have they left big gaps between the power outputs for consecutive groups?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3762314)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
You know that Mercedes-Benz and BMW don't use real engine displacements to name their engines.

In BMW, the ?18i is 1.6L, the ?30i is 2.0L, and the ?40i is 3.0L.

In Mercedes-Benz, the ?200 is 1.6L, ?300 is 2.0L, the ?43 AMG is 3.0L, and the ?63 is 4.0L.

Not to be left behind, Audi decided to go full retard.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...-naming-system

o- 107-127 bhp -> "30"
o- 145-159 bhp -> "35"
o- 165-198 bhp -> "40"
o- 223-244 bhp -> "45"
o- 278-304 bhp -> "50"
o- 423-449 bhp -> "60"
o- + 529 bhp -> "70"
So when the engines shrunk they should have shrunk the number and made awkward names in the process. And they have had inaccurate numbers in the past, 335 for a 3 year run was just the better tuned 3.0 same engine just different tune. So it's only a problem if you somehow think the badge on the back advertised how cool you are.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 17:26 (Ref:3762379)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
My point is that the new Audi designations make absolutely no sense.
They don't approximate displacement or power in any reasonable unit (cm3, hp, kW).
Old 28 Aug 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3762385)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's to make it easier to non-tech people to understand what engine is where in the chart. Capacity doesn't mean as much as it used to, so isn't as useful for telling engines apart, especially for the general public. This system works because you immediately know where the engine is in the scale.

Similar to CPU and GPU manufacturers. Clock speed is no longer what they use to designate CPUs. For a while it was cores, but now they just give the CPU an easy designation so you don't need to dive into the technical specs.

From a non-nerd standpoint, it makes sense.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3762389)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

From a non-nerd standpoint, it makes sense.

Maybe. But the designations, 30, 35, 40 etc. bear no discernible relationship to the power output. Aside from the fact that they increase fairly randomly with power increase. I suppose the non-nerds will get used to it!
Old 28 Aug 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3762414)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They don't have any resemblance, but the majority of the public don't know what power output their car has. There's at least 5 Audis in the car park at my work, and I could confidently say that 4 out of those 5 have no idea what power output they're producing. But they can tell you they have the S-Line, or a trim package etc. The badge lets them know what they have.

Also makes marketing easier. The 50 is higher than the 40. Also means you can easily distinguish from the different engines. The Audi A4 currently has 2 different TDI 2.0 litre engines. Under the old system they both appear as 2.0. On the new system they would appear as 35 and 40. Bit more obvious as which is the better engine.

Some of the old A4s had a silly amount of engines. At one point there were 4 2.0 TDI engines, with 120/136/143/170 outputs.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 16:12 (Ref:3762668)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
But why invent a new scale, instead of using hp or kW?
Old 29 Aug 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3762704)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Just because it's easier and neater to put on the back of the car, so branding is easier. You can't really stick 143 TDi on the back, it starts looking a bit clumsy.

I don't know what it's like in Europe (or outside of that for that matter), but I have some coworkers who I'd say are the Audi target market (white, male, middle aged, making good money) who are currently having a strop over moving from HP to PS in car specs, and have an absolute meltdown when they see kW.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good solid horse power number as well. But Audi sells a lot of cars to posh guys who don't really like cars, they like status symbols. This badge allows them to say "I have the highest status symbol" in an easier way. Looks a bit silly to us nerds who love old fashioned horse power, but Graeme, the middle manager in a training company, who just wants to feel good when he pulls up at a clients meeting in his Audi, doesn't care about the power, he cares about having a status symbol. So now he can say he has the 50.

On a little bit of a side story, I have a co-worker called Graeme (I'm so imaginative when it comes to names), who had an Audi TT and traded it in and bought a black Jaguar XE. Was bottom of the range, but a bottom of the range Jag is still absolutely lovely. It was a beautiful machine. A week later he pulled into work with a grey Jaguar XE, with a completely different kit on it. He quite literally bought a new car after a week, and went with the XE Sport. He admitted he lost thousands going from one Jag to another in the space of a week, but he said he wanted a nicer one, with bigger wheels and a better badge because it looks better. He has no idea what power it produces - but it's got a sport badge! And black plastic on the mirrors! So it must be good!

That's what Audi are aiming for. People like him who want an easy to identify badge. It's all about the status symbol. I'll take horsepower any day!
Old 29 Aug 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3762737)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some people clearly have far too much money.........making them easy pickings, I guess....
Old 29 Aug 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3762748)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Totally do! It's called Premium Pricing. I first heard of it when someone from a training shoe manufacturer was talking about it, I think Nike. There's no difference between a £50 shoe and a £100 shoe. But if you don't make a £100 shoe, they'll buy a £100 shoe from someone else. So you make a £100 shoe that's no better, just for the sale.

Audi make a badge because it's easy to sell, because marketing works. And yes, this co-worker has a stupid amount of money. He accidentally bought a new macbook and didn't notice for months that it was a brand new one, not an old one. That's the Audi market!