Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jan 2019, 22:40 (Ref:3880766)   #526
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
OT, but when at Sebring in 2013 we went to a steak place for supper. Had to be done. Every type of steak came with a choice of sauce, although if it's good meat I prefer without. A compromise- melted garlic butter on the side. There was so much, it was in a JUG!
I remember that
Old 31 Jan 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3880853)   #527
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
I remember that
It was a fun trip!

There’s a clip floating about of a beeb tv news bulletin from yesterday. The talk was of Mrs May heading for Brussels, but the film clip to go with it was a period one of British WW2 aircraft in flight! Someone with a sense of humour?
Old 31 Jan 2019, 15:23 (Ref:3880908)   #528
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Someone with a sense of humour?
you have more than needed plus a bomb shell now!
Old 31 Jan 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3880914)   #529
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
you have more than needed plus a bomb shell now!
Apparently it was ‘a genuine mistake’ as the news also had a piece about Biggin Hill airfield during WW2, and someone mixed the film clips......

I believe them.
Old 31 Jan 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3880916)   #530
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I believe them.
Why wouldn't you? I just found the translation of an old French expression, in your words its said: Then puke it up! I'll let John give you the french name!
Old 31 Jan 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3880928)   #531
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The latest hoot is the BBC solemnly reporting that of all its brands Unilever is stockpiling Magnum and Ben & Jerry's ice cream. I smell the whiff of a marketing ploy here.

Don't forget folks, I've managed to salt away some Speed Racewear kart clothing. Strict limits will be applied so please panic buy to get your share. Spread the word, I don't know what stocks I'll have post Brexit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Jan 2019, 17:22 (Ref:3880935)   #532
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Midget, we dont give a penny to this because, as JCVD would say, we are "aware" reading this forum! Et pan! In addition, after your you-know-what we will be back to our normal state, sans chemise et sans pantalon, in other words "des va-nu-pieds et cul Ã* l'air en plus!" I'm more worried about the esquimau thing, being a great fan of Magnum almonds… How could we survive that, I wonder, I wonder!
Old 1 Feb 2019, 12:27 (Ref:3881113)   #533
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The latest no-no if we leave-

UK vehicles that show an EU badge on the back with ‘GB’ incorporated (as part of number plate or separate) will not be legal the other side of the channel!

Apparently we will need either a simple GB plate (as we used to have) or a plain EU plate and separate GB plate.......

EDIT! Appears this has been under discussion for two years.......

Meanwhile, I’m off to the Post Office to see if they’ve learned how to issue an International Driving Permit.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 1 Feb 2019 at 13:59.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3881123)   #534
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Obviously most people look at this post from a UK point of view, but most EU countries are not sitting back & waiting to see what happens ; they are issuing this kind of info to their residents & nationals. This is what our latest was, here in Luxembourg ;

https://guichet.public.lu/en/actuali...es-achats.html - since 2015 we get everything in FR/GR/Eng on our official communications.

Hope you can see it, if not copy-paste into your browser should do the trick.

The implication is that all things brought into the EU will be treated this way & I don't regard my last minute shopping at Sainsburys in Folkstone as 'souvenirs' , but they may well become that !!

My point is that this IS a really serious situation , with or without a deal .... at the moment the UK IS leaving, in the eyes of Europe & things WILL change very quickly & even though I have dual Nationality, it will not spare me or anyone from the PAIN that this is going to be from 30th March.

A quick trip back to the UK & vice versa, will become a thing of the past.

And do you know what ..... we were not even allowed a vote, yet Brits in the EU number nearly 1 million & are among the most affected people in all of this sad story.

Thank you Mr. Cameron !!

Martin H
Old 1 Feb 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3881129)   #535
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
And do you know what ..... we were not even allowed a vote, yet Brits in the EU number nearly 1 million & are among the most affected people in all of this sad story.

Thank you Mr. Cameron !!

Martin H
If you are talking about voting in the referendum then you were allowed to vote providing you are a UK national and were resident in the UK at some point in the past 14 or 15 years (not sure of the exact amount) If you've been away for more than that time I don't think it's fair that you should have a vote as you have clearly left permanently
Old 1 Feb 2019, 14:05 (Ref:3881134)   #536
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wasn't allowed to vote. I'm not overly worried about shopping, roaming charges or anything else that seems to have gripped remain voters.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 14:13 (Ref:3881137)   #537
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I wasn't allowed to vote. I'm not overly worried about shopping, roaming charges or anything else that seems to have gripped remain voters.
All my friends, and a few ex friends (brexit differences would you believe) who live in France and Spain, daughter in Aus were allowed to vote. My daughter chose not to vote then whinged like **** at the result.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 14:18 (Ref:3881139)   #538
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just looking at that duty free allowance it's very generous. 10 litres of spirits etc. Can't see the problem frankly. Better than now because when leaving the UK on a flight you can't actually take spirits unless you are leaving the EU. Never understood why.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3881141)   #539
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
If you are talking about voting in the referendum then you were allowed to vote providing you are a UK national and were resident in the UK at some point in the past 14 or 15 years (not sure of the exact amount) If you've been away for more than that time I don't think it's fair that you should have a vote as you have clearly left permanently

Been here for nearly 30 years, so yes, I couldn't vote. Fair or not is point for discussion & gets into the domicle question, which is another grey area.

Martin H
Old 1 Feb 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3881146)   #540
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As Martin H says, domicile is a grey area. And it does seem unfair to me that although a British citizen may have chosen to live elsewhere, it is possible that he/she still has to pay some tax in the UK, for example on income on a UK rental property or a Crown Pension. Therefore, why shouldn't they have a say in how the country is run?

Two things that Cameron tried to achieve whilst in office was to scrap the time limit on voting rights for British citizens living abroad, and to reduce the number of MPs and members of the Lords. He had hoped that the scrapping of the time limit would have been put in to place before the referendum, but like the proposed changes to the House of Lords, politics have got in the way and it's been kicked into the long grass. And the reduction in the number of MPs, although the Bill passed onto the statute book many years ago, the Labour Party have blocked it's implementation because it will eradicate some of their advantage at polling time due to the boundary changes.
Old 1 Feb 2019, 15:44 (Ref:3881154)   #541
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It’s been said many times before, but our MPs have one priority- look after number one....

So, my local post office have now issued their first IDPs! Only took 30 minutes, and upset all the other locals in the queue..... And it’s plural, as no chance they’ve been changed, and you still need a (1949 Convention) one for Ireland, Iceland, Spain Malta, Cyprus, and a 1968 one for the rest of Europe, Norway and Switzerland. Liechtenstein needs a further one, but don’t think I’m heading there.

Bit of catch with the 1968 IDP, it expires when your drivers licence does. As I have to renew the truck licence annually, a result is that this particular IDP only lasts 6 months, and will need renewing for the last race meetings of the year......

That’s my preparations so far. Phew!
Old 1 Feb 2019, 15:59 (Ref:3881160)   #542
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that's 30 minutes you and the good denizens of Attleborough will never get back

Just don't get them mixed up after all the hassle you've gone through to get the right ones....

Old 1 Feb 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3881168)   #543
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well that's 30 minutes you and the good denizens of Attleborough will never get back

Just don't get them mixed up after all the hassle you've gone through to get the right ones....
They have identical covers except one has ‘1949’ and the other ‘1968’ in small print..... Both will travel, wherever I’m heading!
Old 3 Feb 2019, 08:22 (Ref:3881607)   #544
midgetman
Veteran

If the Times is to be believed today there must be plenty of Middle Englanders thinking a Molotov cocktail is something you get in the Waitrose alcohol aisle. Apparently plans are being drawn up to evacuate the Royal Family in the event of riots caused by a no deal Brexit.

You genuinely couldn't make this nonsense up.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...exit-35hft7ctw

Old 3 Feb 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3881620)   #545
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And "in the meanwhile" our police is the single in this part of europe to extensively make use of flash ball riots. Our policemen are proved to be unable to shoot right tho… One contestant almost lost one eye. According to the shooter it was not his fault because "I was targeting another contestant's belly". Ha, OK, fine we only have to blame the training techniques……… I tell you they know no limits!
Old 3 Feb 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3881621)   #546
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It’s been said many times before, but our MPs have one priority- look after number one....

So, my local post office have now issued their first IDPs! Only took 30 minutes, and upset all the other locals in the queue..... And it’s plural, as no chance they’ve been changed, and you still need a (1949 Convention) one for Ireland, Iceland, Spain Malta, Cyprus, and a 1968 one for the rest of Europe, Norway and Switzerland. Liechtenstein needs a further one, but don’t think I’m heading there.

Bit of catch with the 1968 IDP, it expires when your drivers licence does. As I have to renew the truck licence annually, a result is that this particular IDP only lasts 6 months, and will need renewing for the last race meetings of the year......

That’s my preparations so far. Phew!
Seems that IDPs last between 1 & 3 years depending on the issuing country - or until your driving licence expires if that's sooner.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3881639)   #547
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Seems that IDPs last between 1 & 3 years depending on the issuing country - or until your driving licence expires if that's sooner.
Yup. One year for both or sooner for the ‘1968’ version here. No idea why that doesn’t apply to the ‘1949’ one as well!

TBH at £5.50 a throw it’s not a big deal, apart from the time spent getting them. All the info has to be manually written on the permits (address in tiny writing)- nothing via compooter!

Max- When it was announced the other week that the Queen was to make a statement regarding brexit, I thought maybe the message would be that the Royal Family were relocating.......
Old 3 Feb 2019, 16:44 (Ref:3881688)   #548
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
This is what our latest was, here in Luxembourg ;

https://guichet.public.lu/en/actuali...es-achats.html - since 2015 we get everything in FR/GR/Eng on our official communications.

The implication is that all things brought into the EU will be treated this way & I don't regard my last minute shopping at Sainsburys in Folkstone as 'souvenirs' , but they may well become that !!

My point is that this IS a really serious situation , with or without a deal .... at the moment the UK IS leaving, in the eyes of Europe & things WILL change very quickly & even though I have dual Nationality, it will not spare me or anyone from the PAIN that this is going to be from 30th March.

A quick trip back to the UK & vice versa, will become a thing of the past.

Martin H

To be honest that doesn't exactly seem arduous, and I can't see anything in that article that justifies the comment that "A quick trip back to the UK & vice versa, will become a thing of the past."

Effectively its exactly the same situation I've experienced for the last 30 years going to and from Tenerife, where we have an apartment, which of course has an odd status as a duty-free island, whilst still Spanish. No undue delays other than those common to all air travel these days.
Old 3 Feb 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3881691)   #549
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yup. One year for both or sooner for the ‘1968’ version here. No idea why that doesn’t apply to the ‘1949’ one as well!

TBH at £5.50 a throw it’s not a big deal, apart from the time spent getting them. All the info has to be manually written on the permits (address in tiny writing)- nothing via compooter!

Max- When it was announced the other week that the Queen was to make a statement regarding brexit, I thought maybe the message would be that the Royal Family were relocating.......

Do you mean leaving the UK?

Greece or Germany as a destination?

Or maybe Scotland in the expectation of independence?
Old 3 Feb 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3881698)   #550
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Do you mean leaving the UK?

Greece or Germany as a destination?

Or maybe Scotland in the expectation of independence?