Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Aug 2018, 07:07 (Ref:3845694)   #76
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Naturally the EUcrats do not like anyone resigning from their club, with a resultant loss of income, and will put every possible obstacle in the way to deter similar events. Frexit!

The only sensible answer for the UK is a hard Brexit, as this will also be a hard landing for the rest of the plonkers across the Channel. We will manage better without them than they will without us, we contribute too much in most aspects of the Union. Defence, policing, etc. )Money of course)

We punch well above our weight in practical terms, yet have little influence on decision making being just one of 27 (?).

They can keep their cross ants, and …. something about where the Sun don't shine.

Bauble Proud to be ENGLISH.

Can I just say to the French and German contributors to this thread that Mr Bauble's rampant xenophobia isn't shared by me - or ,I suspect , by many others from this country.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 08:30 (Ref:3845705)   #77
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Can I just say to the French and German contributors to this thread that Mr Bauble's rampant xenophobia isn't shared by me - or ,I suspect , by many others from this country.
That's OK Coppice, I am quite used to having no one share my views on anything.

PS; I like the 'xenophobia, sums me up pretty well. I suppose, however, I do like Ernst and Gerard, both good eggs.

If you can't rant among friends, where would we be?
Old 24 Aug 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3845706)   #78
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

PS; I like the 'xenophobia, sums me up pretty well. I suppose, however, I do like Ernst and Gerard, both good eggs.

You are not alone
Old 24 Aug 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3845713)   #79
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I'm pleased to see you like a word derived from a language 'those plonkers across the Channel ' used , and were using from back in the day when the likes of thee and me were covered in woad and communicating in grunts. But enough about East Anglia already...
Old 24 Aug 2018, 09:35 (Ref:3845716)   #80
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm pleased to see you like a word derived from a language 'those plonkers across the Channel ' used , and were using from back in the day when the likes of thee and me were covered in woad and communicating in grunts. But enough about East Anglia already...
Plonkers referred to my EUcrats, not Johnny Foreigner in general, some of them are quite nice, not sure about East Anglia though. Oops Sorry Mike.

Thanks for the support, nobby! Kind of you.

Xenophobia has it's origins in Greece, and later Rome (Empire), not exactly shining examples of Euro Zone success today.

Last edited by bauble; 24 Aug 2018 at 09:40.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 09:41 (Ref:3845718)   #81
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What happebs to goods and people who are non EU and cross inter EU state borders now?

Nothing. As it happens Albanians (non EU) can drive all through the EU freely once they cross the border. I am only speaking from current experience. I believe it applies to services also. You pay at the initial border then there should be no further checks or charges. From a security aspect it's one of the reasons why many folks want to leave.
Quite correct Peter.

Far too many non-EU résidents seem to be able to travel unhindered all the way across Europe to Calais - but I guess they all have personal invitations from the German fuhrer!
Old 24 Aug 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3845721)   #82
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Quite correct Peter.

Far too many non-EU résidents seem to be able to travel unhindered all the way across Europe to Calais - but I guess they all have personal invitations from the German fuhrer!
This comment is, in my opinion, in extremely bad taste.

I will stop further participation in this tread

RuE
Old 24 Aug 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3845725)   #83
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Er, Democracy? Another word deriving from the Greek, something about the will of the people, unless you disagree with them of course.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3845734)   #84
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm.

I think we are a little off track from the original intent.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3845736)   #85
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Hmm.

I think we are a little off track from the original intent.
Agree. Let’s keep to the topic of the original post, please.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3845772)   #86
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Agree. Let’s keep to the topic of the original post, please.
OK, accept my share of the blame, apologies to Simon.

Contrite, Bauble.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 18:48 (Ref:3845845)   #87
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Quite correct Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
This comment is, in my opinion, in extremely bad taste.

RuE
RuE, I think you have got the wrong end of the stick, as we say in England, like a lot of other things that are totally misconstrued and lost in translation
Old 26 Aug 2018, 10:41 (Ref:3846141)   #88
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Going back to Brexit it's interesting to see what some are saying !
Ratcliffe on Brexit
Ratcliffe is a supporter of Brexit and said in a recent interview that: "The Brits are perfectly capable of managing the Brits and don't need Brussels telling them how to manage things." He added ‘'I just don't believe in the concept of a United States of Europe. It's not viable."
OK so if the richest man in Britain is saying this then what are we to believe ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Sep 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3847816)   #89
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
I am not sure that the size of your bank balance gives you a greater insight into a hugely complex political issue than yours or mine . Or does it ? Breaking news - Kim Kardashian's take on NATO spending ...
Old 3 Sep 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3847829)   #90
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, I think the analogy was more that someone who is that good at business possibly has a better insight?

So far as someone who has worked and lived within the EU and outside of it, I've yet to see the advantages of staying. But then again, it's just my experience which no doubt wouldn't count either.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3847835)   #91
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
So what about all the other people in industry who think Brexit is a car crash? Are they wrong , their judgment flawed ?
Old 3 Sep 2018, 08:55 (Ref:3847837)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope, their opinions are just as valid.

However the vote was to leave so instead of whining they should get on with sorting things out. The arguments have been the reason why nobody knows what's happening.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 09:45 (Ref:3847846)   #93
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Nope, their opinions are just as valid.

However the vote was to leave so instead of whining they should get on with sorting things out. The arguments have been the reason why nobody knows what's happening.
I agree Peter. I admit that I personally voted to stay in but accept that wasn't the majority decision. So, out it is let's stop fannying about and get on with it.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3847928)   #94
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
"If France had held an EU referendum it "probably" would have been the same result" French President Emmanuel Macron tells to Andrew Marr, BBC.
Probably the reason why we've not been asked.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3847936)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Personally? I think it's sad that what we all wanted became a monster we can't control.

The perfect world would have us all trading and enjoying each other's country without the need for free movement.

We could also enjoy terading elsewhere without being told that only approved countries could trade with us.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3847939)   #96
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Personally, I think all this is far beyond what I can understand.

May be an important thing is that no one around me considers buying racing cars and spares and often labour from other sources they actually use. All located in England.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3847941)   #97
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
My point exactly.
Old 15 Sep 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3850368)   #98
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
coming very late to this thread.

Carnets could be interesting.

Several years ago I drove a landrover from UK to Cape Town via various countries. Crossing most borders really was pretty easy with a Carnet for the vehicle, and it was a case of being disciplined and ensuring that the carnet/vehicle was always stamped properly in/out of each country ,with no mistakes made so as to avoid problems (one exception: word of advice NEVER try to take a vehicle in or out of Eygpt, 12 hours at border going in, 13 hours going out - just mentioning in case anyone wants a Cairo grand Prix).......anyway I feel sure that these days carnets are equally easy to get and to use.

That said, back then the choice was either to lodge a deposit equalling the value of the vehicle with the RAC (carnet issuer) , or alternatively it was possible to take out an insurance policy to cover the eventuality should the vehicle be left in a country and therefore deemed to be imported with duties payable.I cannot recall the costs etc but obviously it was based on a worst case situation and the highest duties that could be incurred , and so it depended on which countries were being visited.

I dont know what people do to take their cars to Sebring or Daytona these days?? presumably a carnet is required?

Anyway, crossing the channel with or without a carnet will not faze me at all.....................
Old 15 Sep 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3850413)   #99
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just for clarification, the carnet Pomracer refered to for the Landrover is probably a CPD Carnet (https://www.carseurope.net/carnet-de...n-douanes-cpd/) which are effectively vehicle passports and are not for commercial movements.

Taking racecars & professional equipment abroad would require the use of ATA Carnets (https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-...-an-ata-carnet) and it may be a version of one of these that would be needed for European excursions after the end of March depending on what agreement is reached.

We're still none the wiser in the business!
Old 16 Sep 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3850566)   #100
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks - yes correct it was a Carnet de Passage.

so the potential difficulties would come down to which type of carnet may be required.

My gut says that taking my (historic GTS period F) race car (road registered) to Europe post brexit to compete in, for example Tour Auto or Modena Cento Ore, should not be too difficult, but I appreciate the possible hurdles faced by motor racing as a whole.