Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 7 Mar 2019, 20:43 (Ref:3888988)   #51
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenull View Post
Many thanks for the advice, broadrun. The only downsite is probably that the car trip would be split in two (me and my friend), which makes the plane ticket expensive in comparison. But I will consider this very much, because of traffic delays and energy spent inside a car.
I'm 6'7 and 325 (23 stone/147kg for the weird measurement users) so extended time spent in either is rarely fun but I'll always choose money spent and less time squeezed myself so take my flying advice with that in mind.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 02:47 (Ref:3889043)   #52
ravenull
Rookie

Brazil
Brazil
ravenull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm 6'7 and 325 (23 stone/147kg for the weird measurement users) so extended time spent in either is rarely fun but I'll always choose money spent and less time squeezed myself so take my flying advice with that in mind.
The older you grow, truer it gets.

What's your plan to tackle big boy Sebring this year btw? RV with family and friends or what...
And another big question: are there beer vendors inside? Or should we get everything from the city and carry it with us. The beer question is the one keeping me awake hahaha.
Old 8 Mar 2019, 03:08 (Ref:3889048)   #53
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

What's your plan to tackle big boy Sebring this year btw? RV with family and friends or what...
Sadly work and planning for a wedding in May means the first trip to Sebring will be postponed yet another year. Too much local racing in April to take time away, 4 of 5 weekends have racing at Road Atlanta with one weekend at Barber; SVRA with TransAm, Indy @ Barber, off, F3/4, The Mitty(HSR vintage) and then my wedding makes it a busy month and sadly I'm thinking I might not actually get to all of them. Plus a couple rounds of work projects/court cases I have to be available for means I'm stuck in Atlanta until Thurs before Sebring, not enough time to really enjoy the event right so TV it is again this year

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 8 Mar 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3889215)   #54
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The older you grow, truer it gets.

And another big question: are there beer vendors inside? Or should we get everything from the city and carry it with us. The beer question is the one keeping me awake hahaha.
Sebring was selling beer the last two years or so. I think you could buy it by the case even. I'm a bit snobby, so I don't drink domestic, but I think I heard they had all the big names and that the mark-up wasn't too bad. I'd be surprised if they weren't still doing it. Besides buying beer, there are also the big bars in the tents. Head out to Green Park and Dan and Sheila's tent, they serve alcohol and it's all sold on a "donation" basis.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 15:38 (Ref:3891861)   #55
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Some thoughts on a great weekend at Sebring, my first time there.

In short: awesome track, somewhat basic facility, pretty merciless for first timers.

Firstly the track itself: fantastic. It's completely flat terrain and viewing is right at track level, indeed in a few places the track is slightly higher than the viewing so you see cars coming head on. There is very little catch fencing and in some places you are very close, really seeing the cars jump and skitter over the concrete bumps.

A lot of the time there is lots of spectator clutter in the background but along some parts there are trees on the other side of the track. I didn't find a way to see the start/finish line or the pits (short of paying $245 for a Gurney terrace seat) and the epic Turn 17 is very hard to access, but for the most part the track was visible and wonderful.

Secondly the facility: pretty basic. Along quite a lot of it the camping/RV area is set back a little from the actual trackside fence, making it easier to walk around and to see. Where there was no such gap people taped off or commandeered areas, which was irritating. The spectator viewing mounds are mostly pretty small and the 'grandstands' are rows of bleachers, some only a few rows but others larger. There was zero shade or shelter from the rain. There were too few toilets and showers. There was very little signage or directions and few staff to ask. The sand got muddy quickly.

Thirdly the newbie experience: pretty merciless. The event is setup for people who have been going for years and are largely self-sufficient in RVs or campers (even bringing their own toilets in some cases). Arriving at 9pm on Thursday night there was only one gate open for passouts, ticket-holders and will-call, hence a 30 min wait. Will Call was one bloke going through an alphabetised folder for ticket envelopes with hand-written names on.

Other than one sign at the gate there was no signs at all to North Paddock, nor any indication that I'd arrived there, nor any clue or help about how or where to park. The only staff member I encountered was the supervisor who told me to move my car or get towed because it was in a 'designated spot'. I had no idea what that meant or how I was supposed to tell or where to go instead. He was a little impatient until I explained that it was my first time there, I had arrived at night in a hire car after a 10-hour flight and a 2-hour drive and that I had no way of knowing any of the stuff he assumed everyone knew.

Sebring run an awesome event and knowing what I know now it will be easier next time. They have no reason to change anything, nor would I want them to. There are, however, some things that could be done to make things a little easier for people arriving for the first time, in a hire car and carrying only what they could fit in aircraft luggage. Mail tickets to overseas addresses (like Infy, Daytona and Laguna Seca do). Open more than one gate rather than be surprised when lots of people arrive. Put up some signs. I'd love to say install some more toilets as well, but that might be a little much!

As always with such visits, the cars and the fans make it awesome. In this case the track is also wonderful. Sebring also can't control the weather (32C in the shade on Friday, pouring rain on Saturday!). But I will admit that this was a tough trip as a first-timer. I'll know more next time (like booking a motel for Saturday night to get a shower and a full night of sleep!).

5,000 photos to sort through now!
Old 19 Mar 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3891888)   #56
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Some thoughts on a great weekend at Sebring, my first time there.

In short: awesome track, somewhat basic facility, pretty merciless for first timers.

Firstly the track itself: fantastic. It's completely flat terrain and viewing is right at track level, indeed in a few places the track is slightly higher than the viewing so you see cars coming head on. There is very little catch fencing and in some places you are very close, really seeing the cars jump and skitter over the concrete bumps.

A lot of the time there is lots of spectator clutter in the background but along some parts there are trees on the other side of the track. I didn't find a way to see the start/finish line or the pits (short of paying $245 for a Gurney terrace seat) and the epic Turn 17 is very hard to access, but for the most part the track was visible and wonderful.

Secondly the facility: pretty basic. Along quite a lot of it the camping/RV area is set back a little from the actual trackside fence, making it easier to walk around and to see. Where there was no such gap people taped off or commandeered areas, which was irritating. The spectator viewing mounds are mostly pretty small and the 'grandstands' are rows of bleachers, some only a few rows but others larger. There was zero shade or shelter from the rain. There were too few toilets and showers. There was very little signage or directions and few staff to ask. The sand got muddy quickly.

Thirdly the newbie experience: pretty merciless. The event is setup for people who have been going for years and are largely self-sufficient in RVs or campers (even bringing their own toilets in some cases). Arriving at 9pm on Thursday night there was only one gate open for passouts, ticket-holders and will-call, hence a 30 min wait. Will Call was one bloke going through an alphabetised folder for ticket envelopes with hand-written names on.

Other than one sign at the gate there was no signs at all to North Paddock, nor any indication that I'd arrived there, nor any clue or help about how or where to park. The only staff member I encountered was the supervisor who told me to move my car or get towed because it was in a 'designated spot'. I had no idea what that meant or how I was supposed to tell or where to go instead. He was a little impatient until I explained that it was my first time there, I had arrived at night in a hire car after a 10-hour flight and a 2-hour drive and that I had no way of knowing any of the stuff he assumed everyone knew.

Sebring run an awesome event and knowing what I know now it will be easier next time. They have no reason to change anything, nor would I want them to. There are, however, some things that could be done to make things a little easier for people arriving for the first time, in a hire car and carrying only what they could fit in aircraft luggage. Mail tickets to overseas addresses (like Infy, Daytona and Laguna Seca do). Open more than one gate rather than be surprised when lots of people arrive. Put up some signs. I'd love to say install some more toilets as well, but that might be a little much!

As always with such visits, the cars and the fans make it awesome. In this case the track is also wonderful. Sebring also can't control the weather (32C in the shade on Friday, pouring rain on Saturday!). But I will admit that this was a tough trip as a first-timer. I'll know more next time (like booking a motel for Saturday night to get a shower and a full night of sleep!).

Don't go Road Atlanta, all of that but fewer showers and Georgia red clay instead of sand. You WILL be tan/orange before you leave and you will give every item you bring over to the gods of Road Atlanta.

And yet I give Road Atlanta my money every year, about 600 bucks, and camp out at least twice a year so maybe my judgement may be a little off.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3891889)   #57
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Don't go Road Atlanta, all of that but fewer showers and Georgia red clay instead of sand. You WILL be tan/orange before you leave and you will give every item you bring over to the gods of Road Atlanta.
Petit Le Mans is definitely on my bucket list! Watkins Glen as well. I'm ticking off Laguna Seca in two weeks. Learning each time. If I make it to Sebring next year, I'll be much better prepared.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3891909)   #58
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

You will have a challenge finding a room even if you started now, and one night would be really tough. The rooms bòok years in advance.

Maybe rent a van instead of car, and camp out in that? You would have room, and be off the ground for camping.

As far as toilet facilities...there are a lot of port-o-let blocks set up around the spectator areas, and while not the best, they will do. There are also shower trucks around, where you can shower for a fee.

Glad you enjoyed the experience. Sebring is an amazing place and an amazing experience.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3891913)   #59
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
You will have a challenge finding a room even if you started now, and one night would be really tough. The rooms bòok years in advance.

Maybe rent a van instead of car, and camp out in that? You would have room, and be off the ground for camping.

As far as toilet facilities...there are a lot of port-o-let blocks set up around the spectator areas, and while not the best, they will do. There are also shower trucks around, where you can shower for a fee.

Glad you enjoyed the experience. Sebring is an amazing place and an amazing experience.
All good advice! I found a motel in Lake Wales at short notice on Saturday, which was fine because it was halfway back to Orlando airport anyway. I'll probably book the same place again, hopefully not being scalped from booking on the day. I had breakfast in a proper American diner as well, grits an' all!

Sleeping in an SUV was fine, I'm thankfully not very tall! And yes ... portaloos (as we call them in the UK) ... fine on day one, best avoided on day three :-)

Please don't anyone think I'm complaining...it's a terrific event and it's up to me to adapt to it, not the event to accommodate me! I'm posting here just to pass on advice for other newbies. This isn't an event for the faint-of-heart.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:31 (Ref:3891941)   #60
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well hotels are usually good there and glad you got one close by, as well as enjoying the hospitality. The facilities at US circuits, will vary on different circuits.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 23:29 (Ref:3891955)   #61
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Secondly the facility: pretty basic.
It's a dump. A wonderful, lovely, magnificent, historic dump.

I'm sorry I missed the trip this year. Not sorry I missed the rain.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 23:31 (Ref:3891956)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think that’s part of the attraction the dump. It’s usually good racing wise. The rain can’t be controlled
Old 20 Mar 2019, 00:26 (Ref:3891973)   #63
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I had breakfast in a proper American diner as well, grits an' all!

Sleeping in an SUV was fine, I'm thankfully not very tall! And yes ... portaloos (as we call them in the UK) ... fine on day one, best avoided on day three :-)

This isn't an event for the faint-of-heart.
Well shucks, if you had grits you were all set! (Next time ask for some bacon grease to be dribbled in, and a bit of shredded cheese if they have it)

'Portaloo' sound all together too posh . I have always lucked out to have availed in the wake of the cleaning crew, so not so bad.

I grew up in Central FL., so Sebring was always somewhat easy in the sense of having the comfort items along for the ride, and I would know what to expect of the weather, so less of a surprise factor there. Shade is a challenge, one more pressing with the lack of hair on my head, so I prize a decent hat and a few moments in the shade of motorhomes or trucks.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 00:41 (Ref:3891977)   #64
S griffin
Veteran

I like the idea of chucks there. Certainly they do things different in Sebring. I guess if you’ve been going long enough you can put up with little niggles here and there
Old 20 Mar 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3892173)   #65
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Link to 12 Hours galleries can be found in the race thread on 10/10ths. There will also be full WEC, Michelin Pilot Challenge and P3 galleries in due course

First time back at Sebring since 2013 primarily based on getting two races for the price of one - and the hope for warm, sunny Florida weather ... Whilst Friday delivered on the latter almost to excess, Saturday morning brought mixed feelings. I do like photographing cars in the rain for the very different feel it brings and I did have the right clothing.

Thoroughly enjoyed being back there (last time was 2013) and it seems that there were a number of new spectator mounds and grandstands which are most welcome. There's still a lack of shade for us sensitive Brits though. Slightly surprised that despite the large number of people there it rarely felt crowded.

Double header again in 2020 is very tempting !
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3892209)   #66
S griffin
Veteran

Well I’ve seen those. Would love to see more photos.

Always interesting to see how races change over time. Certainly rain can be a problem here. It’s the price you pay for going to races. I bet it added to the racing here

Sebring always gives good races, and the series is still going strong, for the moment at least. Crowds are decent, needs more exposure over here, but at least it has a following. Certainly having the IMSA main race, with the WEC as a sideshow seems to have worked
Old 21 Mar 2019, 09:44 (Ref:3892422)   #67
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mudsharks ahoy and other things ...

http://https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwLmbqN
Old 21 Mar 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3892583)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

What an action packed meeting that was, how a long distance sportscar race should be
Old 31 Mar 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3894455)   #69
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

Have finally loaded photos from all races - and booked for next year !
Old 8 Oct 2019, 01:03 (Ref:3932573)   #70
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just read through this thread. I've got a few pointers as I'm making the trip in 2020.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Never been to Le Mans, but I am a Le Mans veteran. It will be me and me Dad.

It seems hotel is just not on. So I will venture camping (although we had grown out of that at Le Mans). I think that is fine, but I bet Dad less so.

Tickets? We'll wander round, but I think I'll do the Gurney Terrace.

I am considering bring a classic. Part of the fun being the drive there. Is that a good idea? Could come in a daily, although I wouldn't gain much in size/practicality there.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm following the Petit thread as I'll do that too!
Old 8 Oct 2019, 15:33 (Ref:3932728)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Just read through this thread. I've got a few pointers as I'm making the trip in 2020.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Never been to Le Mans, but I am a Le Mans veteran. It will be me and me Dad.

It seems hotel is just not on. So I will venture camping (although we had grown out of that at Le Mans). I think that is fine, but I bet Dad less so.

I am considering bring a classic. Part of the fun being the drive there. Is that a good idea? Could come in a daily, although I wouldn't gain much in size/practicality there.

Any thoughts?

From DC, that's a haul. NC, SC and GA are pretty, but not really from the interstates.

I'd lean on the previous comments on the Gurney Terrace.

Camping there is interesting, to say the least. I feel like to truly experience Sebring, camping is a must but it could be relentless. Rent RV for Pops, if that's in the budget.

Coming and going from the track in a car sounds awful, but I've never done it. I'll let someone else who may have done so to describe my perceived challenges of traffic and parking.

Can't wait to see you at PLM!!
Old 8 Oct 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3932768)   #72
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Any thoughts?

one thing is for sure.. you will enjoy it!!!
and i'm going again in 2020

PS .. me too

Ciao Marco
Old 8 Oct 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3932784)   #73
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Both events / tracks are so different, but there's plenty in the southeastern US that do both every year. Sebring is a huge commitment for me while Road Atlanta is a nice little 40 min drive through the countryside away!

Would love for more people to discover Road Atlanta. It's the best.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 00:05 (Ref:3933009)   #74
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
From DC, that's a haul. NC, SC and GA are pretty, but not really from the interstates.
Part of the fun will be the drive down, so we will probably go off the interstate for some (for Petit the plan is pretty much all off interstate and through Blue Ridge). I am told there is a car train from Florida somewhere to near Baltimore. We might do that on the way back.

Quote:
Camping there is interesting, to say the least. I feel like to truly experience Sebring, camping is a must but it could be relentless. Rent RV for Pops, if that's in the budget.
We will hotel on the way down and on the night after so hopefully that will be fine
Quote:
Coming and going from the track in a car sounds awful, but I've never done it. I'll let someone else who may have done so to describe my perceived challenges of traffic and parking.
I’m not interested. Did it a few times at Le Mans. I like to get there and be settled.
Quote:
Can't wait to see you at PLM!!
Old 10 Oct 2019, 00:06 (Ref:3933010)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
one thing is for sure.. you will enjoy it!!!
and i'm going again in 2020

PS .. me too
Woo.