Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Apr 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1902451)   #101
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems the AFL is asking Ch.7 for a please explain over the short cutting of the AFL game broadcast. The live telecast of the AFL game started 20 mins into the second quarter. Ch.7 may well be in a bit of trouble over this.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 03:25 (Ref:1902500)   #102
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Moo
Newspapers cover sports according to popularity and v8s struggle for any coverage. Walk down the street and I will bet anyone that people would list AFL, NRL, Rugby Union, Cricket, Swimming, Tennis and possibly even soccer in front of v8s. It struggles to make it in to the top ten.

Before some of you shout me down over that, have a good look at the newspapers and keep in mind that most of the coverage in the News Ltd papers is 'bought' by v8s.

Mainstream media dont take them as seriously as we do but thats life.

Bathurst gets coverage but outside of that, netball gets almost as much coverage.
The World Swimming Championships were recently held in Melbourne and they struggled to pull more than a few thousand people.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 04:14 (Ref:1902505)   #103
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the black wiggle on TV talking about creating their own recovery crews and calling the NZ guys "Dad's Army"

So unfair that the recovery guys did not have the right to reply. Its often the "Simple" recovery job that take the longest. Fuel spills cant be smelt on TV, nor can we see the broken tow straps. So many things can go wrong. Bottom line is....Unless you were on the spot, you have no idea....I dont. For all I know it could have been a "Dad's Army" crew...BUT........

Tander lost the race in the pits....end of story..

As for losing the round, who cares......the way the round winner is worked out sucks anyway, there's been debate over that issue since the clipsal....the point score is more important than the podium. Ask Tander's team mate....

He'll tell you.

But if the V8 guys want to do their own recovery, who will look after the support events? This could turn quite a few marshals away from the sport when they're told to stand down during the V8 races.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 04:22 (Ref:1902506)   #104
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it showed a complete lack of respect.

Even if it was the recovery crew, it could have been handled better.

Do any of these guys get paid or are they all volunteers??
Old 29 Apr 2007, 04:51 (Ref:1902510)   #105
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Paid?

That's funny.....

They're on the same pay rate as the flagmarshals. Cut lunch and a hat.

Yeah, the black wiggle had no right to slag off at the Dad's Army crew. Although he did take the blame for the event.

Last edited by MPA; 29 Apr 2007 at 04:54.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 09:22 (Ref:1902580)   #106
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
So unfair that the recovery guys did not have the right to reply. Its often the "Simple" recovery job that take the longest. Fuel spills cant be smelt on TV, nor can we see the broken tow straps. So many things can go wrong. Bottom line is....Unless you were on the spot, you have no idea....I dont. For all I know it could have been a "Dad's Army" crew...BUT........
Perhaps if Ch7 is reading this, they might like to explore this in next week's V8 XTRA, so the fans know what went on & don't follow TC in pointing the finger if it is not justified. I did wonder why they couldn't have just dragged the car across the track and into the nearby pit entry though, it would have been a lot quicker than stuffing around with a tilt tray.

Also did you notice that Rick Kelly was told there was 1 lap to go, but Tander was not? Very strange
Old 29 Apr 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1902679)   #107
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to todays Sunday Mail, the AFL has asked Channel Seven to "Please explain" why the telecast of the Afl game began 20 minutes into the second quarter and not replayed in full.

The AFL will no doubt use a big stick on Channel Seven to make sure it does not happen again.

This will probably mean that, in the future, more V8 races will end early.

Good work ,TC.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:16 (Ref:1903220)   #108
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Emjaya....The race did not finish early. V8 racing, just like F1 are laps or time....whatever comes first. They simply ran out of time to complete the scheduled amount of laps...Channel 7 telecast went from 12.00 til 3.00. If they did not show the 1st quarter of footy, that was not the black wiggle's fault.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1903428)   #109
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Moo
So Mabs....still not going to criticise 7 even after dropping v8s for AFL??
Been there done that. All Motor Sport TV coverage in this country on all Channels is and probably always will be crap cos we are more intersted in boring sports like GAFL and Cricket. BORING!
Old 1 May 2007, 05:24 (Ref:1903908)   #110
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Emjaya....The race did not finish early. V8 racing, just like F1 are laps or time....whatever comes first. They simply ran out of time to complete the scheduled amount of laps...Channel 7 telecast went from 12.00 til 3.00. If they did not show the 1st quarter of footy, that was not the black wiggle's fault.
Ithink people are debating that there should've been a longer telecast sceduled, to infact catch the whole race. And due to the AFL commitments that wasn't possible, hence the shafting.
Old 1 May 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1903963)   #111
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The scheduled telecast WAS long enough to catch the whole race, it's just that a pair of lengthy safety car periods put it behind schedule.

I don't see DTM fans whinging (or the drivers & teams for that matter) when on the same day as Pukekohe their opening round at Hockenheim was cut short into a timed race to fit in with television committments due to a delayed start.......
Old 1 May 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1904171)   #112
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
OK this is getting tiresome. How many of you people have ever watched a Monaco F1 Grand Prix in the wet go for two hours and not run the full distance? How many of you watched the 2003 Sandown 500 finish on lap 141, 20 laps short? How many of you watched the Gold Coast Indy Car race finish behind the Pace Car in the wet or in the dark?

Motorsport has always allowed for races to finish by laps completed or time elapsed and no one should feel shafted that the behaviour of the V8 drivers meant they had to circulate behind a Safety Car over in WA for so long.

Channel 7 gave 3 hours to motorsport and should not be blamed because they did not take air time for the V8s. Period.

If Channel 7 took time from the 1st and 2nd quarters of a footy match, that’s their issue and one that does not concern Motorsport. We had our airtime.

The Event in WA was “Time Certain” Due to start and finish by certain times regardless of the amount of laps completed. If you don’t like it, don’t blame the footy or Channel 7. Don’t even think of blaming CAMS. This is the way motorsport runs.

Don’t like it? Take it up with VESA. It’s their issue to resolve
Old 2 May 2007, 01:43 (Ref:1904663)   #113
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
OK this is getting tiresome. How many of you people have ever watched a Monaco F1 Grand Prix in the wet go for two hours and not run the full distance? How many of you watched the 2003 Sandown 500 finish on lap 141, 20 laps short? How many of you watched the Gold Coast Indy Car race finish behind the Pace Car in the wet or in the dark?

Motorsport has always allowed for races to finish by laps completed or time elapsed and no one should feel shafted that the behaviour of the V8 drivers meant they had to circulate behind a Safety Car over in WA for so long.

Channel 7 gave 3 hours to motorsport and should not be blamed because they did not take air time for the V8s. Period.

If Channel 7 took time from the 1st and 2nd quarters of a footy match, that’s their issue and one that does not concern Motorsport. We had our airtime.

The Event in WA was “Time Certain” Due to start and finish by certain times regardless of the amount of laps completed. If you don’t like it, don’t blame the footy or Channel 7. Don’t even think of blaming CAMS. This is the way motorsport runs.

Don’t like it? Take it up with VESA. It’s their issue to resolve
The difference is, the track conditions were fine. A monsoon where you can't even see your mirrors is obviously unsafe so thats granted to finish behind the pace car.

This thread was about NZ, not WA.

Like i said, i think people are disappointed/****ed off that there was only 3 hours alocated, as opposed to the, 8 games on every weekend of AFL. Sure they have alot more people watching, but every 2nd person i know has now stopped watching live TV of V8s, and just watch the live streaming on the net, because of the low quality telecast.
Old 2 May 2007, 07:05 (Ref:1904756)   #114
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
too much stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY

Like i said, i think people are disappointed/****ed off that there was only 3 hours alocated, as opposed to the, 8 games on every weekend of AFL.

Sure they have alot more people watching, but every 2nd person i know has now stopped watching live TV of V8s, and just watch the live streaming on the net, because of the low quality telecast.
Come out of the dark Stealthy!

8 games of AFL on every weekend - not on free to air, even Adelaide?

Poor quality telecast ... you are talking about the pictures or the programming?
Old 2 May 2007, 10:03 (Ref:1904870)   #115
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Ooops my bad,,,,,,typo..NZ not WA....but the rest remains the same.
Old 2 May 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1905419)   #116
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually there are only 4 games out of 8 on free to air in Melbourne of AFL.

And only one of them is live, the saturday night one if it's played interstate.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 3 May 2007, 03:20 (Ref:1905512)   #117
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think people are taking the opportunity to air old grudges against Channel 7. People have been queueing up to slag them since the announcement they would take up the telecast. They were always going to win it back from 10. Bathurst is personal for Seven, remember they were shafted out of covering Bathurst, remembering Bathurst was under long-term contract with Seven at the time of the original Channel 10 contract which in turn led to the Super Touring Car era.

Channel 7 allocated V8Supercar a certain timeslot. Channel 7 do not produce the V8 telecast, VESA themselves do, utilising some 7 on-air and behind the scenes staff. VESA then adjusted the race format based on the timeslot. The entire decision making process was VESA's.

So how is this 7's fault?

You can say the timeslot should have been extended. But the TV producers could have editted the package to suit the timeslot too, it wasn't a live telecast.

A lot of anger is being mis-directed here, and I suspect that is being done mainly because it can.
Old 3 May 2007, 05:59 (Ref:1905550)   #118
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Come out of the dark Stealthy!

8 games of AFL on every weekend - not on free to air, even Adelaide?

Poor quality telecast ... you are talking about the pictures or the programming?
Ok so theres only 4 games. the point was tho, every time i turn the TV on there something footy on, before the game, after the game, in between the game, the footy show.

Being live isn't the problem, i was quite happy staying up saturday nights when 10 used to air saturdays race.

The 'low quality' comment was based at all of it, not the best camera angles, crap lighting, aswell as the programming.

Sure they'll think people are happy with it, because most people on here will still watch, as do i.

And i have no problems with 7, they could just go about things a little differently. such as the timing, channel 10s timing was fine, why change it (sure there may be copyright etc, but there big boys, i'm sure they can find ways around that)
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 3 May 2007, 06:01 (Ref:1905551)   #119
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
You can say the timeslot should have been extended. But the TV producers could have editted the package to suit the timeslot too, it wasn't a live telecast.
It was live to the WA market.
Old 4 May 2007, 04:15 (Ref:1906253)   #120
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Channel 7 allocated V8Supercar a certain timeslot. Channel 7 do not produce the V8 telecast, VESA themselves do, utilising some 7 on-air and behind the scenes staff. VESA then adjusted the race format based on the timeslot. The entire decision making process was VESA's.

So how is this 7's fault?

A lot of anger is being mis-directed here, and I suspect that is being done mainly because it can.
About the only sensible post in the whole thread.
Old 4 May 2007, 07:09 (Ref:1906303)   #121
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fair dinkum ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY

And i have no problems with 7, they could just go about things a little differently. such as the timing, channel 10s timing was fine, why change it (sure there may be copyright etc, but there big boys, i'm sure they can find ways around that)
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
I say again Stealthy ... come out of the dark.

Read this thread (I originally typed re-read but......)!!
Not 7,
not 7,
not 7
Old 5 May 2007, 03:41 (Ref:1906916)   #122
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speaking of replacing people on the #7 broadcast... is there any reason #7 shouldnt be looking to bring Allan Grice into the fold for colour commentary, and a detailed understanding of the cars and how racing is/was/should be?

I was actually wondering whether Mr Grice would be an able assistant to Mr Bond and co in the tower of power.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods