Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Mar 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1253627)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CCWS 2005 anouncement on 2005 television broadcasts

I found this an interesting article on the official site

Quote:
The Champ Car World Series enters the 2005 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford season with one of its strongest television packages in the last 10 seasons, and today announced that it has assembled a veteran team of motorsports professionals to describe all of the action on this year’s broadcasts.
Quote:
Benjamin will be joined in the booth by long-time Champ Car announcer Derek Daly, who was a formidable racer in the Champ Car series in the 1980s before picking up the microphone. Daly has worked as an analyst and pit reporter for many seasons with Champ Car and will move upstairs to provide color commentary for the 2005 season.
Quote:
“We worked very hard to find a team of announcers with the ability not only to describe all the action of the Champ Car World Series, but also to give the viewers an inside look at what is going on during the race,” said Champ Car President Dick Eidswick. “I believe the fans will really benefit from the knowledge and skill of this crew, as well as the skill of our television production partner Molson Sports & Entertainment.”
Personaly I'm pleased, Rick Benjamin is still commentating the series again this year, and along with ex racer Derek Daly.

Last edited by luke; 16 Mar 2005 at 18:49.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1253633)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Calvin Fish and Jon Beekhuis... as the pit reporters for the 2005 season. Ralph Shaheen... will be joining the staff for the four CBS races. Chris McClure... will also be on hand to replace Fish during those instances when he has prior commitments.
Chris McClure should be full-time, IMO. I love the guy.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1253682)   #3
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It says that there will be 16 races I thought there is only fourteen on the schedule right now, Am I mistaken or did they just let the cat out of the bag. also I thought since they moved Monterrey back to Sunday there was going to be a problem with the TV I guess they worked that out.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1253699)   #4
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like John Beekhuis and Calvin Fish, they will do a good job in the pits. I personally can't stand Derek Daly, he annoys the crap out of me, and the way he conducts interviews with the drivers sometimes after the races really irks me. Benjamin did a pretty good job last year actuallly. I would really like to get Bob Varsha back, but that won't happen. OWRS should try to hit up Jeremy Shaw for a job doing some sort of commentating. He is extremely knowledgeable and a great guy to talk to.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1253718)   #5
SPRacer
Racer

United States
St. Petersburg, FL
SPRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No more Tommy Kendall????

I feel like he explained the sport better than any of the others. Pretty funny guy, too.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1253720)   #6
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Kendall was cool, but he did come off as arrogant. I like Daly better. Personally, I get the feeling that Daly is someone you can easily strike up a conversation with. Kendall seems like you have to really know him to talk to him.

I dunno... that's the vibe that I get
Old 16 Mar 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1253743)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From Tenoch:

It says that there will be 16 races I thought there is only fourteen on the schedule right now, Am I mistaken or did they just let the cat out of the bag. also I thought since they moved Monterrey back to Sunday there was going to be a problem with the TV I guess they worked that out.
I've re-read the article, still can't figure out where you came up with the "16". Very astute observation about Monterrey, though.

Last edited by macdaddy; 16 Mar 2005 at 21:26.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1253754)   #8
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry about that for some reason I thought that it said eight races will be broadcasted on Network TV and Eight On Speed Channel. I guess the human body does need some sleep.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1253814)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Man I hate Daly! He provides no usefull insight and is patronizing and annoying. "See those round black things on the car? Those are called tires." And then he'll go on for 5 mins on trivial details without scratching beyond the surface.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1253853)   #10
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know what? What really needs to happen is to not just have announcers who know Champ Car, but people who can convey their love and passion for Champ Car. I feel that if that the announcers show that, then it'll catch on with the TV audience, and will lure new people as well.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1253867)   #11
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
Kendall seems like you have to really know him to talk to him.

I dunno... that's the vibe that I get
My own personal experience says your vibe on TK is incorrect. I've walked up to him in the paddock on a couple different ocassions and just BS'ed with him about racing. Very approachable and a really nice guy. I will miss him in the booth.

I still don't understand why they don't bring back Parker Johnstone. He was the best.

Oh well, the line up they have is good... could be a lot worse.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 01:12 (Ref:1253892)   #12
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I liked Tommy Kendall a lot in the booth, TK and Benjamin had a lot of awkward dead air last season. It seemed like TK just couldn't find his rhythm like he could with the Speed crew the previous season.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1254193)   #13
Mantom
Rookie

United States
Mantom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Derek Daly is a nice guy and makes decent observations, but I cannot stand to listen to him for 2 hours each race. That accent is just too much. He sounds just like my doctor (yes, he's Irish - also a nice guy though).
Old 17 Mar 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1254210)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah i'm a big fan of Double D. Look foward to his calls.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1254221)   #15
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo
I still don't understand why they don't bring back Parker Johnstone. He was the best.
Paul Page + Parker Johnstone was an absolute winner! I can't stand Derek Daly for longer than a pit report, Benjamin is fine though.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1254328)   #16
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I propose a 'turd gear' counter.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1255408)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Quote:
From Tenoch:

I thought since they moved Monterrey back to Sunday there was going to be a problem with the TV I guess they worked that out.
ChampCar's TV Schedule page lists Monterrey as "unavailable at this time" - the only race that is so.

(The international sched still shows Canada as TBA)...
Old 18 Mar 2005, 19:07 (Ref:1255413)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Europe (54 countries)
Eurosport (live races)

Man is that good for Champ Car.

Also interestingly it showed MotorsTV, as showing highlights......
Old 19 Mar 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1255947)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Europe (54 countries)
Eurosport (live races)

Man is that good for Champ Car.
While the odds have gotten better since they introduced Eurosport2, I still won't believe it until I see it.