Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 17 Jan 2010, 04:03 (Ref:2614503)   #1
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 1st attempt

Ok, so this is my first try at SketchUp. I wanted to make a fast track with some passing opportunities.

The track orientation is meant to be run counter-clockwise.

One quick question, how do you guys show elevation changes? I wanted the last half to be downhill (after the long right hand sweeper heading into the kink).

Also, any thoughts, comments & suggestions? I had a lot of fun making this and hope to improve as I go along.
Attached Thumbnails
track1.jpg  
Old 17 Jan 2010, 04:22 (Ref:2614505)   #2
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last turn is a physically impossible hairpin,like 30cm radius? traffic jams are a possibility,really you need to fix that.

Otherwise, the rest of the track seems very creative, you exercised a good amount of possibilities, and nowhere I see mistakes.

Safety wise ,just take a look at t1 which offers the possibility of a course re-entry coming from the fastest part of the track.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 05:08 (Ref:2614508)   #3
AFC-911
Racer

Wow, I think it's officially harder to edit a track than to make one in the first place...

Anyway, here is my fix for the final turn leading to the front straight. I had a bit of a tough time fixing that, so I left the pit exit alone for now.

By the way, thanks for the comments. They really help keep me encouraged enough to keep going after the first day!
Attached Thumbnails
track1 ver 2.jpg  
Old 17 Jan 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2614741)   #4
AFC-911
Racer

Here's some more revisions I made this morning. (I didn't realize I couldn't edit my other post after a while)...

Anyway, I tightened up a couple turns & changed one of the sweepers into a double apex left hander. I also cleaned up the look of the sand traps. I'm pretty satisfied with it so far, although I'm sure I could find a couple things to improve on.
Attached Thumbnails
track1 ver 4.jpg  
Old 21 Jan 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2617071)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
first of all, welcome to My Tracks!!

Seems like the others are kinda busy elswhere, so let me jump in with some comments.

Overall i think this one would make a good bike lap. The turns are pleasant - save for that last one Luiggi mentioned but it's been fixed.

There's one thing I need to mention: much of the track is divided into short in-between-turns sections. The problem is that they seem to short for real action. Not long enough to accelerate properly after the preceeding turn and the next turn is too slow to go into it fast enough. The result would, I think, be a relatively low average race speed and a race rather shy in the overtaking department.
The problem is not a big one, though, cutting some of the corners would eliminate it altogether, since basically it's a very good concept. And teh graphics are really good!

As for your other question: there's no "universal" way to represent altitude changes. Some of us do it by coloring the track - red is high, blue is low, green inbetween, for example, others place élittle arrows pointing up, down or horizontally indicating which doirection that particular track section goes. Still others try to make 3D representations to visualize the elevation changes.
So far, I'd say, none has proved to be a great way, but, hey, there's always room for improvement, huh?

bio