Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Best Le Mans era of the last 25 years
Pre-1980: Older racing 6 10.53%
1980-1984: Beginnings of Group C etc. 1 1.75%
1985-1989: Group C domination 34 59.65%
1990-1994: End of Group C, start of GT1/LMP's 0 0%
1995-1999: GT1/LMP/GTP era 11 19.30%
2000-2005: Current day LMP1/LMP2/GT1/GT2 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 May 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1311653)   #26
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But in 85 the cars looked as if they were being driven as if on a Sunday afternoon meander compared to other years, even compared with the conservative methods forced on the Jaguar drivers in 91. RLR car had a problem quite early on (i think withi the first 6 hr) and fell a few laps behind - no chance of closing it given the fuel regs of that year.
Jags returned in 84 BTW - and like the Emka led/ the race early on.
Why did the flying Sauber add to 85 being a good race - it never started because of this qualifying incident...
Old 27 May 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1311962)   #27
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i've only been since 1998, so i voted for that era due to 1999, although for some bizarre reason i liked 2000 the best...i think it was the weather!
Old 28 May 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1312368)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Zarse
I reckon you haven't quite got the dates right for the poll. The later Jags, in 1990 and 1991 were awsome, as were the Mercs, Porkers, Pugs esp in 92 and as for THAT MAZDA.... well. They should all be included as a "Group C era" in the poll. I mean, why was 1991 worse than say 1987? It was all great and I'm lucky to have seen it. The modren stuff does not look very impressive at Le Mans, but having seen it at Silverstone last year and Sebring this year (did I mention I went to Sebring?) you have to say it is the fault of the ACO for ruinning the track and the race as a spectacle. Anyway, in the final analysis, all eras are golden ages if you ask me, even the crap years.
Those cars were indeed awesome - the TS010 is one of my all-time fave Le Mans cars (why do I love Toyotas so much...... ), but 1991 awesome? Not so sure, we didn't get to see the Jags and Mercs we ought to have done at Le Mans and the the Silk Cutters were hamstrung by the weight they had to carry. For me, the period 86-90 was infinitely superior to 91-92....
Old 28 May 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1312369)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
i've only been since 1998, so i voted for that era due to 1999, although for some bizarre reason i liked 2000 the best...i think it was the weather!
Blimey Ker, I didn't realise you were only a junior member.........
Old 28 May 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1312481)   #30
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
As the wife and the kids are out this afternoon, I decided tio treat myself and imerge in the Le Mans ambiance ; I BBQ some chiken wings - the weather is wonderful right now - and watch the tape of the 2000' race I recorded on TV, as it was live (much more fun than the usual summary they sale).

The start and the first hours is quite exciting, as the Panoz was able to follow the Audis, and we don't know yet if the Audis are able to hold 24 hours... quite good, and wonderful cars on the grid, including some that are gone now : Panozes, Cadillacs, Vipers...

Good fight between the SMG Courage, the Johansonn Reynard and the second Panoz... Judd engines were fragile those days...

And what a dogfight with the Vipers and the Corvettes ! I forgot that !
Old 28 May 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1312544)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
Judd engines were fragile those days...

But they sounded a 100 times better than the Audis.........
Old 28 May 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1312659)   #32
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
But they sounded a 100 times better than the Audis.........
Especially in the Rafanelli Green/Red Lola
Old 28 May 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1312749)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That was a lovely car, wasn't it?
Old 28 May 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1312779)   #34
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
It was, but some members really don't like it
Old 28 May 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1312788)   #35
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh nooo, let's talk about the best races, not the ugliest car.
Old 28 May 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1312851)   #36
enduro81
Rookie

enduro81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is the old Group 5 and 6 races that do it for me. Nobody knew who would win - it was a case of who had the least problems because everybody expected some! Todays races seem to be that the fastest cars win and you can tell which they are before the start... Brilliantly engineered but they took a big chunk of the excitement out of the racing. Maybe not for the purist but the 935 was an awesome machine. '79 gets it for me.
Old 28 May 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1312876)   #37
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I thought it was a tract....

Back ontopic: I have not voted because I don't know which era was the best.
Old 29 May 2005, 02:45 (Ref:1312990)   #38
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a poll on favourite era or 'how far back do you remember'?

It might be showing my age, but would have to say the pre 1980's with Ferrai vs Ford vs Porsche in the 1960's and then later on, the Matra and Gulf-Mirage and Porsche 936 (never that much of a 935 fan).

Not a fan of fuel economy races although the Group C era did produce some nice cars too as did other eras. These days the cars seem too reliable - run like clockwork all day and night does make it a bit too predictable.
Old 29 May 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1314157)   #39
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm maybe another poll should be created - same thing as this one but between 1960's and 1980's instead! It's not a case of how far back do you remember - was trying to aim it at which generation provided the best spectacle and quality of racing etc. - I guess the reliability of current cars is a tribute to the technology of the modern generation?
Old 30 May 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1314210)   #40
Cerbera Speed12
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Cerbera Speed12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Voted for 1985-1989.

1988 has to be the best year for me from the 12 or 13 races I have seen, Just such a party with the Jags.

I enjoy the racing again now...but am dead against the selection process and may skip it this year as a result of the Zytek and LNT farce.
Old 30 May 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1314390)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Skip it?

You're kidding.

Whatever the farce, its not worth skipping (unless you happen to be a member of LNT....)
Old 30 May 2005, 08:09 (Ref:1314395)   #42
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerbera Speed12
I enjoy the racing again now...but am dead against the selection process and may skip it this year as a result of the Zytek and LNT farce.
I'm afraid there'll be no significant effect on ACO's behavior, unfortunately... I tried to demonstrate something once to ACO, and just succeeded to postpone the purchase of my tickets ... and at the desk : "Oh, you're late this year ! was the sole reaction I got...

Try to come, instead, and launch tomatoes on :
- the race director
- the teams that stole Zytek and LTN entries
Old 30 May 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1314496)   #43
Tom V
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Tom V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also voted for 1985-1989.

As much as I like GT's, it was just fantastic to have a full grid with nothing else but prototypes. And the racing was outstanding ofcourse.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1314600)   #44
Cerbera Speed12
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
I'm afraid there'll be no significant effect on ACO's behavior, unfortunately... I tried to demonstrate something once to ACO, and just succeeded to postpone the purchase of my tickets ... and at the desk : "Oh, you're late this year ! was the sole reaction I got...

Try to come, instead, and launch tomatoes on :
- the race director
- the teams that stole Zytek and LTN entries
Oh of course I know it will have zero effect, but at the end of the day, I run
my own business, have limited time out and I go to the race to watch the
best cars in the world at the best race in the world and in 2005, that is not
the case.

I wanted to see the Zytek take the race to the Audi teams, like wise, LNT
to the Porsche teams and that won't be happening, so in my book, this year
it is not the race it should be and maybe I'll spend my limited down time doing
something else.

I own a TVR, therefore support TVR, but have been there so many times in
the past backing the Jags, Aston Martin etc, so the novelty of the race isn't
new on me (I did 10 or 11 years in a row before I took a break.)

I wish the Racesports team all the best for the race and if they do as they
normally do and are there at the finish, they might nab a good result, but it
won't be via the pace as LNT could have done.

Come the 15th, I might still be on the boat over, but I also might just carry on
past the circuit and head south, half the fun of the Le Mans event is the trip
down and back for me, so I'd not loose that.

We'll see, I might yet change my mind, but as I say, my voting with my feet
will have zero impact on the ACO, but I know I can have as much fun doing
other stuff as I can watching a potentially predictable race and I could then
take the time to go to Monza, Nurburgring as well as Silverstone where I will
see the cars racing.

Finally and back on topic, last year, to see the Group C cars before the main
race was a real treat and and real step backin time. Wonderful.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1314609)   #45
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
in my book, this year it is not the race it should be and maybe I'll spend my limited down time doing something else.
You're your own man and if you came 10 times in a row then feel not attracted by this year's race, you've obviously good reasons.

Hope to see you in 2006, with the Zytek chasing the
Old 30 May 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1314849)   #46
Cerbera Speed12
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
You're your own man and if you came 10 times in a row then feel not attracted by this year's race, you've obviously good reasons.

Hope to see you in 2006, with the Zytek chasing the
Cheers Fab, I drink to that too and feel sure LNT will also be there next year.
Old 30 May 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1314878)   #47
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Cheers Fab, I drink to that too and feel sure LNT will also be there next year.
I hope so, they definitely deserved their entry. Cheers up !
Old 30 May 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1314891)   #48
tonyroberts
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bolton
tonyroberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group C

Group C was by far the best I have amazing memories of those races form 83 up until 91. The ones that stand out are 84 with the privater porsche and lancia battle awsome race. Also the legendry 88 race with those stunning shell werks 962's and the silk cut jags in a titaninc battle. Arh the memories seeing the master H J Stuck and the memories of the 3 and half mulsanne straight (no boring chicannes), and being able to actually see the cars. Without being caged behind a fench that enables you to see nothing including the start. Who ever says now is the golden era in my opion has not got a clue, it is not a patch on what it used to be, no where near!!
Old 30 May 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1314894)   #49
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Oh of course I know it will have zero effect, but at the end of the day, I run
my own business, have limited time out and I go to the race to watch the
best cars in the world at the best race in the world and in 2005, that is not
the case.

I wanted to see the Zytek take the race to the Audi teams, like wise, LNT
to the Porsche teams and that won't be happening, so in my book, this year
it is not the race it should be and maybe I'll spend my limited down time doing
something else.
I would actually say this year is by far the most interesting since 1999, with the first real challenge to the Audis.

It would have been nice to have the works Zytek, but they really ruled themselves out by not competing in the full LMES. I don't think its a coincidence they are competing in the full series this year.