Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Aug 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3997667)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two of them at least.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 15:59 (Ref:3997668)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m guessing he means Motorbase
Old 24 Aug 2020, 16:07 (Ref:3997672)   #28
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Which team has "family" connections to the track?
Mr Butcher so a distinct Ford flavoured look to the Scrut shed. I'd imagine Barry Plowman did the same phonecall though.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3997681)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I’m guessing he means Motorbase
You could be right.

I was just thinking that Shedden has been referred to as part of the Team Dynamics family. "Gordon is a part of our family and success story,"

Moffat and Butcher both have strong links to the circuit as well though.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 16:31 (Ref:3997682)   #30
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
You could be right.

I was just thinking that Shedden has been referred to as part of the Team Dynamics family. "Gordon is a part of our family and success story,"

Moffat and Butcher both have strong links to the circuit as well though.
I think butcher has the strongest links to the circuit is family own it
Old 24 Aug 2020, 16:39 (Ref:3997685)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I think butcher has the strongest links to the circuit is family own it
Yes - agreed. Just wondering why it was being presented in a secretive manner, with the family being put in " " 's?
Old 24 Aug 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3997696)   #32
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes - agreed. Just wondering why it was being presented in a secretive manner, with the family being put in " " 's?
I wouldn't be surprised if another (other) team(s) have a little moan about preferential treatment.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 18:11 (Ref:3997704)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah, you know how quickly some teams can be to cry foul
Old 24 Aug 2020, 19:24 (Ref:3997723)   #34
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yeah, you know how quickly some teams can be to cry foul
I have heard rumours of teams/drivers already crying to TOCA about certain aspects of other cars.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 19:38 (Ref:3997725)   #35
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I have heard rumours of teams/drivers already crying to TOCA about certain aspects of other cars.
I'm not sure about rumours. Care to divulge more?

I've heard Cammish state that RWD starts should be looked at (not sure how). He said that once the race is underway, he feels able to compete. But if they are automatically going to make up places every start, they'll inevitably win over a season.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 20:25 (Ref:3997729)   #36
RS67
Veteran

BTC complaining about other cars running smoothed out front bumpers and stickers to replicate the depression where the road car would have fog lamps. BTC are forced to run the bumpers as per Dynamics and the depression is acting as an air brake and slowing the cars.
Old 24 Aug 2020, 20:37 (Ref:3997730)   #37
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BTC complaining about other cars running smoothed out front bumpers and stickers to replicate the depression where the road car would have fog lamps. BTC are forced to run the bumpers as per Dynamics and the depression is acting as an air brake and slowing the cars.
shouldn't DYNAMICS be the one complaining then ?
Old 25 Aug 2020, 06:02 (Ref:3997764)   #38
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's extremely ironic considering the front bumpers on their Chevys were illegal for exactly that reason.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 06:31 (Ref:3997768)   #39
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
BTC can complain all they like but if front bumpers of the cars have been signed of by Toca technical then they are wasting their breath to
Old 25 Aug 2020, 06:50 (Ref:3997769)   #40
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Dynamics are obviously happy with their bumpers as they designed it like it. But what ever aero package they design for the car, BTC have to use and aren't allowed to change it. So all they can do is complain about others in the hope they are made to change theirs.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 06:55 (Ref:3997770)   #41
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
That's extremely ironic considering the front bumpers on their Chevys were illegal for exactly that reason.
Fairly sure the Toyota Avensis had depressions in its front bumper smoothed out. Motorbase did the same with the the previous Focus ST. Was it illegal in the case of the Chevy because they never got it signed off?
Old 25 Aug 2020, 07:00 (Ref:3997772)   #42
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
When the FK8 was first introduced, TD had a few different ideas they were trying out. Some of these were connected to front end aero.
Neal said at the time - '[The team] was doing something with the first chassis which got ‘not allowed’ so they had to go back a few steps and redo it, which was a shame.'

Immediately after this, the car appeared in testing with a front end that was heavily blanked off:

When the car reached the first round, all of the blanking was removed, and TD ran with the 'open' fog light area. It is likely that TD sought all clarification at the time, and have moved on.

Possibly, BTC may have forgotten or overlooked this development of the car. When Crees was testing at Snetterton, he had a TD front bumper on his car which also had the fog light area partially blanked. They were obviously looking at the air flow around the lower extremities of the front end, and identified an area they could make gains. This has not been permitted by TOCA, hence it being BTC who have the issue and not TD.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 08:30 (Ref:3997788)   #43
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It kinda makes you wonder why Honda would even design it that way if it was inefficient to start with? Aren't we all on an automotive efficiency drive at the moment?
Old 25 Aug 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3997791)   #44
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
It kinda makes you wonder why Honda would even design it that way if it was inefficient to start with? Aren't we all on an automotive efficiency drive at the moment?
It is the other way round. Honda designed the car to have fog lights. For the race version, the fog lights have been removed and a void is left.

This is to comply with 19.3 of the technical regs:

'Front fog lights must be removed and the subsequent apertures must either be blocked off or used as brake cooling duct apertures.'
Old 25 Aug 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3997792)   #45
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Styling. It makes the car look more aggressive having fake intakes on the front.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 09:51 (Ref:3997798)   #46
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
It is the other way round. Honda designed the car to have fog lights. For the race version, the fog lights have been removed and a void is left.

'Front fog lights must be removed and the subsequent apertures must either be blocked off or used as brake cooling duct apertures.'
Also the bumper has to be made wider to blend in with the race cars wheel arches. This has had an adverse effect in this situation.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 09:55 (Ref:3997800)   #47
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Styling. It makes the car look more aggressive having fake intakes on the front.
What is their reason for fake air intakes on the back? That just looks plain stupid. Honda not only felt it looked good on the FK8, they felt the same about the Jazz.
Old 25 Aug 2020, 10:08 (Ref:3997802)   #48
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Ah ok, thanks.

The tech regs quoted just said that they can be blocked off, isn't that what they tried to do but then were told they could not?
Old 25 Aug 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3997803)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

Nice to see there is still room for a bit of creativity with the rules
Old 25 Aug 2020, 10:25 (Ref:3997813)   #50
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Ah ok, thanks.

The tech regs quoted just said that they can be blocked off, isn't that what they tried to do but then were told they could not?
The decision to have them blanked, or part of the brake cooling, is made at the time of homologation.
The car was homologated with the apertures open, so that is how they must remain.

If you compare that with the Focus - you can see blanked off fog light apertures, but other apertures added to the front end. Dynamics have chosen to use the existing apertures, rather than add them elsewhere on the front of the car:

In that last picture, (link here) look at the aperture closest to Cammish. You can see the ducting behind that feeds the airflow.

Which makes me wonder why BTC are upset about them being open? The airflow is being used; if they were closed another aperture would be required on the front end somewhere else. It would be interesting to see the actual comments from BTC.....