Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Apr 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1280570)   #26
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a really excellent 50min video still available on the whole history told entirely with archive film call "Brooklands the birthplace of British motorsport "

By David Weguelin all the usual sources or www.motorfilms.com
Old 25 Dec 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1489947)   #27
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse
Boddy's description of Houldsworth's accident says that his car hit the straw bales and cartwheeled up the banking. That presumably means he hit the first bale of the deviation with the offside front wheel as he was leaving the banking?

Like Tim, I'm not aware of him having any previous 'form': there's no apparent trace of him at Donington in 1933-4 either.
I've just found another description of Houldsworth's accident in The Times of June 25th 1934.

It took place in the second part of what were referred to as the "snake" bends, which he approached at about 80mph. He hit the bale and the report confirms the car was travelling up the banking when it overturned, rolling twice, with Houldsworth still "stuck to the steering wheel". The unfortunate driver's skull was fractured and he was taken swiftly to Weybridge Cottage Hospital, accompanied by his wife. Sadly, he died there later in the day.

The Times confirms that he had never raced at Brooklands before and says he had completed more laps than anyone else in practice for the race. However, he had apparently competed in several races at Donington: if that was indeed the case he certainly wasn't prominent in the results.

As a footnote, a Mrs J Houldsworth took part in a Ladies' Mountain Handicap on October 13th 1934: might she have been his widow?

Bob Marley
Old 9 Jan 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1498213)   #28
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brooklands claims to being the 'birthplace of british motorsport' 'the first closed course circuit in the world' and 'the first oval circuit in the world' are all incorrect.

However brooklands did invent club racing.

Crystal Palace predates brooklands by 8 years on the three claims above. There is no conclusive evidence I've seen for an earlier event than 1899 in the UK on a closed course with proper timing.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 13:20 (Ref:3885755)   #29
garethlong
Rookie

garethlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Replying to this very old thread with additional information about the death of John Houldsworth.

According to a press photo I have showing the aftermath of the racing accident titled "John Holdsworth injured when car turns double somersault in Brooklands race", "John Houldsworth was serious injured during the race for the British Empire Trophy at Brooklands when the Bugatti entered and driven by him hit the hay baling by the Members' Bridge and turned a double somersault. Houldsworth was thrown violently out of the car. Photo shows :- The injured driver being treated by ambulance men near his wrecked car, June 23rd 1934"
Old 1 Aug 2020, 20:22 (Ref:3992165)   #30
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
roadmap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
Hi Boniver,

Well, you asked! I'm actually in the throes of a book of Brooklands history, trying to present each race, its results, runners and riders. Not the easiest of things to research, believe me.

In the process, I have established squatters rights in the Beaulieu National Motor Museum library, lost my temper at the microfiche custodians at the British Newspaper Library, exchanged views with the great William Boddy, rummaged around in the Brooklands Society archive, and found myself on first name terms with every antiquarian motor book dealer in the land.

And I'm still left with gaps all over the place!

So, Boniver, what would you like to know about Brooklands?

Incidentally, the first meeting at Brooklands was actually on July 6th 1907, and the first race therein was won by HC Tryon on a 40hp Napier.

The last race ever held at the track was The Third August Outer Circuit Handicap, on August 7th 1939, The winning car was GL Baker's Straight-8 Graham-Paige.
-----------------------------
Does anyone have a photo of the Graham Paige. Thank you