Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 20 Apr 2002, 06:03 (Ref:265454)   #1
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jack Roush Critically Injured

Winston Cup team owner Roush critically injured in plane crash

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Winston Cup team owner Jack Roush was critically injured when his small plane crashed Friday, NASCAR vice president Jim Hunter said.

Roush, whose 60th birthday was Friday, was in critical condition at UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Hunter said.

Hospital spokeswoman Tracy Bischoff confirmed that Roush was in critical condition. She said he arrived at the hospital at about 10 p.m. after being airlifted from the accident scene. Bischoff said she could not provide the extent of Roush's injuries and said he was being evaluated in the emergency department.

Old 20 Apr 2002, 07:57 (Ref:265485)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats no good, hope he gets well

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 20 Apr 2002, 15:23 (Ref:265702)   #3
caseyfan19
Rookie

caseyfan19 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got the atrical right here.

Here you go.
Roush critically injured in plane crash
By Dave Rodman and Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive

April 20, 2002
10:58 AM EDT (1458 GMT)
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Motorsports magnate and multiple NASCAR team owner Jack Roush was in critical condition Saturday morning at the University of Alabama Birmingham Trauma Center after crashing his private airplane Friday near Troy, Ala.

According to WBMA-TV in Birhmingham on Saturday morning, Roush was in an induced coma and suffered burns and two broken legs in the accident.

After the crash in Troy, about 50 miles from Montgomery, Roush was airlifted by helicopter to Birmingham.

“Jack Roush was in an accident in an airplane earlier this evening,” NASCAR vice president for corporate communications Jim Hunter said from the hospital. “He is currently under evaluation in a wait-and-see situation. He is in critical condition.”

According to Hunter, Roush Racing drivers Mark Martin, Jeff Burton and Kurt Busch were all at the hospital during the evening, as were NASCAR vice president for administration George Pyne and several Talladega Superspeedway personnel.

The Associated Pres reported that Roush's plane went down in a gated residential area at around 6 p.m. CT and that a resident of the neighborhood, Larry Hicks, pulled Roush from the wreckage.

Roush, whose 60th birthday was Friday, arrived at the hospital at 10 p.m. CT, according to a hospital spokeswoman who said that Roush was being evaluated in the emergency department.

The NASCAR Winston Cup and Busch Series are racing at Talladega this weekend, with Roush’s four primary Winston Cup teams as well as the affiliated Wood Brothers Racing operation in attendance. One of his two Busch teams is on hand as well.

“We are trying to find out the extent of his injuries and the doctors are evaluating him,” Hunter said at about 12:30 a.m. ET. “Roush Racing plans to make a statement Saturday morning at the track.”
Old 20 Apr 2002, 21:55 (Ref:265933)   #4
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
caseyfan19,

Remember when we told you about this? Copy and post the link to the article and two paragraphs at the most. You said you got it at the time.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 21:57 (Ref:265936)   #5
caseyfan19
Rookie

caseyfan19 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
**** i was not paying attention then sorry!
Old 20 Apr 2002, 22:03 (Ref:265943)   #6
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Alabama man says he's no hero

TALLADEGA, Ala. - Larry Hicks sounded very uncomfortable as he talked about saving the life of NASCAR race team owner Jack Roush.

Told that he was being called a hero by members of Roush's Winston Cup teams Saturday, Hicks scoffed.

He may not think he's a hero, but he sure acted like one in my opinion.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 22:41 (Ref:265959)   #7
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Quote:
Originally posted by caseyfan19
**** i was not paying attention then sorry!
It's ok, really. But please try to remember it is not only a violation of the forum rules, it is also against the law to post full copyrighted articles. Many lawsuits have been brought against message boards for this, and we would prefer not to be one of them.

Here is a link to the Forum Rules if you would like to review them. Specifics in Copyright Law are a little more difficult to find, much less understand unless you have studied law. And while I am not a Lawyer, I have studied it to a point, and have a basic understanding of this issue.

What we are allowed to do as members of this or any forum by law is as yet still unclear. However, I have researched this pretty extensively, and believe we are allowed to post links to articles, and a small portion of them, as that is usually enough to indicate what the articles are about. Approximately two paragraphs is enough for that puopose. I base this belief on the following quote from United States District Court Judge Margaret M. Morrow, "Generally, no more of a work may be taken than is necessary to make the accompanying comment understandable.", from the Summary Judgement from the case LA Times v. Free Republic.

There may be Fair Use or First Amendment issues that need to be resolved, but that is for the courts to decide. Until that time, we have to watch what we do or we will possibly be the next forum in the court room.

Last edited by Tim B; 20 Apr 2002 at 22:42.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 22:57 (Ref:265970)   #8
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope he pulls out of this alright. Jack is a good guy and credit to the sport of NASCAR. Great well quick Jack!
Old 21 Apr 2002, 03:11 (Ref:266064)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
omg , I havent herad of this at all.

anybody know any updates on his condition ????

my prayers are with him and his family.
Old 21 Apr 2002, 03:32 (Ref:266077)   #10
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! That doesn't sound good. (His condition was listed as critical but stable on Saturday night.) I hope that he makes a full recovery.
Old 21 Apr 2002, 14:16 (Ref:266394)   #11
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummm, the site that were supposed to be boycotting this weekend says that is improving but is still in critical, but stable condition. Here is a bit of the article:

“The head injury is the most serious of the injuries he has,” Roush Racing president Geoff Smith said, “but we are very encouraged by the fact he can follow commands and respond to the commands he is given. At about 4 p.m. ET, a Roush Racing spokeswoman said Roush was being prepared for surgery on his left leg, which had three breaks, including a compound fracture of the femur (thigh bone). Smith said Roush’s right leg was also fractured.

“We are told to be guarded about the head injury for the next 48 hours since circumstances can change in that regard,” Smith said.
Old 21 Apr 2002, 14:57 (Ref:266429)   #12
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Closed head injury---->> Bad for him. The bad thing about them is that they can come back to haunt ya years down the road.

I'm not a Rousch Racing Fan---- But I do wish him all the best.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 02:44 (Ref:269030)   #13
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have upgraded Jack's condition again to serious from critical.

http://www.roushracing.com/jack_rous...042302_128.htm
Old 27 Apr 2002, 13:34 (Ref:272101)   #14
Roselady3
Veteran

He has been inproving.
He is now listed as Satisfactory.
A good thing
Old 27 Apr 2002, 13:45 (Ref:272114)   #15
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
He has been inproving.
He is now listed as Satisfactory.
A good thing
I am glad to hear this news. Jack is a pretty feisty old guy so I think he is going to come out of this OK. Amazing story. The guy who saved him has cancer and was a retired Sargent Major in the Marines who was supposedly trained in that sort of underwater rescue. Talk about having a guardian angel. Wow!
Old 29 Apr 2002, 12:51 (Ref:273251)   #16
Roselady3
Veteran

Yeah- that whole story was incredible.