Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Mar 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3378574)   #51
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only managed to see a couple of videos of free practice, but it seems like everyone's trying to avoid running the kerb on the apex a lot more than previous years, presumably because of all the extra torque
Old 14 Mar 2014, 15:15 (Ref:3378621)   #52
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As others have pointed out, the lack of downforce can be seen with drivers having to fight their cars through the whole corner. It was great to watch and I think it's a good thing.
Also, the sound of the engines in my opinion is fine, and we could hear the tyres a lot more, which is another good thing.

Overall I like this new F1 so far, more than I thought I would.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3378667)   #53
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed, the cars are much better to watch now with less downforce. You can see when drivers are 'pressing on' and having to use all the track they can get away with.
Button looked good on the onboard footage.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3378697)   #54
f1toy
Racer

f1toy is a back marker
race strategies?

will the rb's drop back at the start?

nbc commentators were discussing some interesting possibilities.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3378718)   #55
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What kind of possibilities would those be ?

Could we see a team fake a mechanical problem if they are out of the points, in order to minimize mileage on the power units ? Apologies if this has already been asked in another thread.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3378720)   #56
f1toy
Racer

f1toy is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
What kind of possibilities would those be ?
Apologies if this has already been asked in another thread.

1. fuel consumption... and when to push vs hang back.
2. ditto on the apologies.

jmo: we are about to begin F1 3.1 and its should be very entertaining.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 21:00 (Ref:3378728)   #57
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
I've only managed to see a couple of videos of free practice, but it seems like everyone's trying to avoid running the kerb on the apex a lot more than previous years, presumably because of all the extra torque
I am seeing them hit curbs on apex, but on track out, if they get on the curbing it seems to sometimes trigger loss of rear traction and then lay down some black stripes! I like the torque. I wonder what the impact is going to be on rear tire wear.

Richard
Old 14 Mar 2014, 21:38 (Ref:3378745)   #58
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Driver's have already mentioned quite a lot of degredation on the tyres so far, could be seeing quite a few pitstops
Old 14 Mar 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3378757)   #59
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Driver's have already mentioned quite a lot of degredation on the tyres so far, could be seeing quite a few pitstops
Can you describe what you mean by degradation? This seems to be a conflict with what I have heard.

Which ones? (tyres)
The primary or the softer one?
What I have heard is that the tyres are better than last years tyre and holding up, maintaining their grip level for much longer, and the marbles are significantly less.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3378759)   #60
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It could be referring to this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Rosebrg Autosport yesterday p17
We were expecting them to be rock solid one-stop tyres but actually it's quite the conterary: it's a similar story to last year with a lot of tyre degradation. That's another challenge we didn't see coming.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 23:45 (Ref:3378781)   #61
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It could be referring to this
I am really and truly completely over these "exploding" delaminating unfit for racing use Pirellis!

I actually own the things on my road car, and they are good, but I would never buy them again out of pure retribution for what they have done to the racing.

I really don't care a damn what they were asked to do, I just plain hate them for what they have done!

Last edited by wnut; 14 Mar 2014 at 23:51.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3378785)   #62
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
I was referring to the interview rosberg gave to the official f1 website, but it seems he's said it a few times if autosport have it as well. Can't help you on which tyre I'm afraid.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3378822)   #63
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

I really don't care a damn what they were asked to do, I just plain hate them for what they have done!
That is shooting the messenger.......
Old 15 Mar 2014, 04:08 (Ref:3378829)   #64
jsTrecu
Veteran

1.4 was the gap on FP3, Merc's pace is scary...
Old 15 Mar 2014, 04:21 (Ref:3378830)   #65
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You might imagine the turbomotors are generated significant wheelspin, and cooking the rears.. While the pilots dont seem comfortable enough to get thru corners without locking up , or pushing lateral forces across the fronts as the cars understeer, and seemingly cooking them too...

There will be incidemts and accidents, crashes and failures.... Its gunna be fun
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Mar 2014, 05:44 (Ref:3378834)   #66
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Windy for qualifying, but rain should hold off.

The new noise is, well, what you'd expect for a turbo V6. I quite like it, but bad news for sellers of ear plugs.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 05:56 (Ref:3378835)   #67
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's time.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:04 (Ref:3378837)   #68
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live about 20 kilometres away from the track and it's been very blustery all day. Looking at the radar, if they can get away with a dry qualifying session, they'll be going well.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:05 (Ref:3378838)   #69
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Our local Bureau of Meteorology has just issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Melbourne and surrounding suburbs.

Current radar image:

The Albert Park track is between Melbourne and St Kilda on the map.

Last edited by Dixie Flatline; 15 Mar 2014 at 06:28. Reason: Wrong suburb
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:06 (Ref:3378839)   #70
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to school and all the kids' voices have broken.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3378841)   #71
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

You could really hear that tyre squeak when Alonso locked up approaching Turn 1.

Last edited by Born Racer; 15 Mar 2014 at 06:20.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3378842)   #72
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Raining now and Maldanaldo has gone off twice already.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:20 (Ref:3378843)   #73
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

The Lotus is ridiculous. I won't even blame Maldonado for that.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:22 (Ref:3378844)   #74
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rain easing.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3378845)   #75
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Magnussen looks quick.