Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Sep 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2538577)   #1
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eifelrennen

Same weekend as the 6hrs like last year so another mass exodus of UK based classic racers heading across the channel.

I'm there with the CSCC racing in the 1.5hr 'enduro' on the Nordschleife, anyone else going?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 11 Sep 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2538590)   #2
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I shall be going. There is an round of the FIA Lurani Championship for Formula Junior cars.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2538698)   #3
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't this stupid to have two great races on the same weekend "only" a few miles apart.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 05:04 (Ref:2538898)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely Eddy,the old three hundered was alway's a great favorite of mine.Perhaps next year I will drive past Belgium.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2538930)   #5
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm dragging my little Spitfire across the channel for the Eifelrennen. Also taking a vanload full of spares as the amount of tracktime we're getting is more than impressive

Nervously looking forward to it.

Andy
Old 12 Sep 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2539002)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the nervousness borne of the car or the circuit? Dont be nervous,just think of the poor people having to do the Spa 6hr
Old 12 Sep 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2539019)   #7
AndyV
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Is the nervousness borne of the car or the circuit? Dont be nervous,just think of the poor people having to do the Spa 6hr
The car, its completly self built and has been on the breadline for a couple of years now. Feels good though and despite not the quickest in the last few races has picked up positions when others drop by the wayside. However I'll still be backing off the revs along the long straight.

Only a bit nervous about the circuit, I did the same race last year in a friend's Herald and managed to learn the first 2/3rds but never really got to know the last bit. More tracktime on my own this year will sort that.

Andy
Old 12 Sep 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2539093)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I hope all goe's well for you. At least you'll be in the bar while I'm still racing
Old 12 Sep 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2539160)   #9
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
I'm dragging my little Spitfire across the channel for the Eifelrennen. Also taking a vanload full of spares as the amount of tracktime we're getting is more than impressive

Nervously looking forward to it.

Andy
Which race are you in Andy?
Old 12 Sep 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2539167)   #10
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
I seem to recall that in the past Formula Junior went to Spa for the 6 hours. It is, of course, ridiculous to have two great historic meetings on at the same time. How can you choose between Spa and the Nordschleife?

Lets hope next year they can run them on consecutive weekends.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2539195)   #11
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Lets hope next year they can run them on consecutive weekends.
Now that would be a good idea............little holiday in the ardennes in between to keep the missus happy
Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2539196)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Exactly my point Comte,they are both [in my mind] the very best events of the season.Wasn't so long ago that I used to do both events,but then they started to clash and,well,Spa is Spa and I have to be there regardless of the racing.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2541959)   #13
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With Moose's help (extra door bar required - new rule for this year - thanks SO much Wayne) Jason and I will be there in the Lancia Beta. I also have the terrific honour of sharing our friend Tim Burrett's Lancia Aurelia in the same race. Going to be fun racing 2 very different Lancia's.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2546956)   #14
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
TR8ER#7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck everyone - enjoy! Hope you don't need your spares Andy.

Wish we were going again this year but realistically 1 trip across the channel a year is about all we can manage.

Look forward to hearing all about it.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2550312)   #15
AndyV
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR8ER#7 View Post
Good luck everyone - enjoy! Hope you don't need your spares Andy.

Wish we were going again this year but realistically 1 trip across the channel a year is about all we can manage.

Look forward to hearing all about it.
It was great, did'nt need too many spares just an alternator which got vibrated to bits.

Completed the race which was a major achievement on its own and even managed to pick up a class win which is even better. The little car did good despite doing the second part of the race without the starter motor that shook itself free.

Next time though I need a spare driver, pretty tough doing it solo.

Andy
Old 29 Sep 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2550372)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It was great......Completed the race which was a major achievement on its own and even managed to pick up a class win which is even better...... Andy
very well done, all the more satisfying in a selfprepped car isn't it. I didn't run this year but just for fun I passengered in the Markenclub GLP2 in a mate's Midget. Had a puncture in one run and managed a 2nd place in the other; sitting alongside and calling the corners for a driver who does not know the 'ring is much scarier than driving it
Old 29 Sep 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2550444)   #17
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a terrific weekend! Well done to all those who braved the 'Ring for the 300km race. As mentioned, Jason and I were sharing our Beta and I was also sharing the Aurelia of Tim Burrett. Other than wheel bolts falling out of the Beta rear wheel in my practice (most probably worn threads) meaning I only got half a lap in, both cars were tremendous.

I started the race in the Aurelia and had 3 amazing laps in the most iconic of cars around the best track in the world before handing over to Tim. A quick fuel top up and he was off to enjoy the race. After some rest time, Jason came past in the Beta and indicated that his 6 laps were up and he was coming in next lap. A great stop (no fuel needed) and I completed the final 4 laps enjoying every second.

For the record both the Beta and Aurelia made up 50 places from their starting positions and Jason and I were over the moon to get a second in class.

There were some very fast cars out there and over 150 starters however I have to say that this year I felt the driving standards were better than ever, other then a couple of cars that put down mounds of oil on the racing line most of the way around the track. Most retirements seem to be mechnical rather than anything more serious and having done this race 3 times and the Marathon a couple of times, I can honestly say this was my most enjoyable experience.

A big thank you to Hugo, Robert and the CSCC team along with Karin K and all at Classic Trophy. And massive congrats to our Moosehead who not only won his class but came third overall in the CSCC/Triumph race - brilliant!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:55 (Ref:2550621)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the write up Louise and well done to you, Jason and Tim.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2550628)   #19
Moosehead
Veteran

Louise, sorry to be picky but I must correct you It was 2nd o/a in the CSCC/Triumph and 2nd in class.

We had a great run down until the last 20 miles when at the same time I missed a turning (only been going to the place 9 years!!) and my pickup started running really rough. Managed to nurse it to the paddock which was fun getting our spot...............bit of confusion as to what could park where, ho hum. However, that was nothing compared to scrutineering where the main man was adamant my car (and the rest of the field) should run to AppK regs..........now he's the guy you guys want to sort out the AppK cheats!! After a fair bit of persuasion he gave up and walked off in disgust

Should really have tried a little harder in the first qualifying session on Friday as the Saturday version was earlier and the track quite a bit slipperier but I'm not keen on qualifying anyway so only did a handfull of laps. As saturday wore on I started to get some real bad toothache, something I never suffer with so kept taking pain killers to dumb it.

Woke sunday morning to find most of the pain gone but pretty severe swelling instead and was wondering whether I'd actually get my helmet on! As I was in the first group I suited up early and just managed to squeeze into my helmet and despite the long wait once on the grid refused to take it off.

Start of the race was a little hectic with a couple of Golfs out of position anyway but managed to stay out of trouble despite both a Jag XJ and a Polo trying to side swipe me on the GP track. Once on the NS the smaller cars held me up for a while, managed to do one on the exit of Adenaur Forst and the others up Kesselchen. Good dice with the XK and ran side by side down the main straight, just boxing him behind a smaller car at Tiergarten. Slowly reeled in the eventual group/class winning TR8 but got held up by a Porsche 944 and then stuck behind a very slow 914 into a yellow flag zone which enabled the TR to pull away. Excellent pit stop and refuel by my crew whilst others apparently had the Keystone Cops in attendance

Dropped my pace a bit due to the large sections of oil so never got back on terms with the TR and finished 26 seconds behind.
Well happy to have finished another Eifelrennen and another nice pot for the missus to clean. Finished the race with 1 eye virtually closed due to the swelling so paid a quick visit to the Med centre..........nothing doing there so once home on Monday morning went to the local hospital and spent the day there. Now off work till Friday when its back to the hospital for an operation

Another excellent weekend, many thanks to all those involved, organisers, marshals (excellent flagging). Would be back next year but the organisers have apparently moved the event to June which clashes with Spa!!!!!!! For fff sake guys!

PS........spent more time repairing the pick up than the race car, would be good but dad who was with me is buying it..........EMBARASING
Old 29 Sep 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2550654)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was determined not too sulk too much as i was missing my drives at Spa. In the end had a great time. Compte drove very well won his class and finished P2 in front engined FJ class .Caught up with some special German friends and had time to chat which i never do at race meetings, Good news the meeting will be in June but lets hope the date does not clash with anything else.
The hostlity food was just fantastic.Mmmmm Yum Yum.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2550752)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I hope they get the dates sorted for next year.Sept/October always my favorite months!.Better get another contract soon,before I forget where the circuit goe's!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2550772)   #22
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I was determined not too sulk too much as i was missing my drives at Spa. In the end had a great time. Compte drove very well won his class and finished P2 in front engined FJ class .Caught up with some special German friends and had time to chat which i never do at race meetings, Good news the meeting will be in June but lets hope the date does not clash with anything else.
The hostlity food was just fantastic.Mmmmm Yum Yum.
its good you had time to relax Delta, we and Alan didnt as we had to help Alan a lot at Spa , I will post and comment on the lighter side later!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2550814)   #23
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
Quote:
It was great, did'nt need too many spares just an alternator which got vibrated to bits.

Completed the race which was a major achievement on its own and even managed to pick up a class win which is even better. The little car did good despite doing the second part of the race without the starter motor that shook itself free.

Andy
Glad to hear it went so well.

- I don't think you'd have any problems getting a volunteer for a co-driver at the 'ring. I'd put both hands up! it's 6 years since I've raced a Spit and would like a reminder.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2550816)   #24
TR8ER#7
Rookie

England
Castle Donington
Sounds like one to remember Wayne!

Hope you recover quickly.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2550876)   #25
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Andy
Great effort well done Andy. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip and had a great result. I'd have been happy to have co-driven if you'd offered as my ride for this season retired prematurely after Donington. Maybe next year?