Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jul 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3283403)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Sirotkin and his sponsors

So, Sauber have signed a deal with 3 Russian companies. These contracts require a race seat to be given to Russian driver Sergey Sirotkin.

Well, if Daddy Sirotkin didn't own one of the companies investing into Sauber, then I can't see a reason why, rather than Sirotkin, you put Vitaly Petrov in as your Russian driver.

This guy was, on occasion, a match for the great Robert Kubica in their lone season together in 2010, when Petrov was a rookie. Petrov then hammered Nick Heidfeld in 2011, and Bruno Senna too, before eventually becoming a match for an on-form Heikki Kovalainen in the awful Caterham of last season. Let's not forget Petrov claimed not only Team Enstone's first podium in their Lotus-Renault guise (and Russia's first in F1), but also Caterham's best finish in 11th.

The lesson to be learnt: Money talks, talent doesn't.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3283448)   #2
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Basic law of economics for a Business Im afraid. Cashflow. You not got it, not got a Business..Sauber need money to survive. Be great if this young kid blew everyone away!
Old 29 Jul 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3283452)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I don't have a huge issue if Russian sponsors wish to fund Sirotkin's career at the expense of Petrov's. Whilst Petrov did put in some good performances, I don't think he would have ever progressed to being a regular race winner/championship contender. It is, of course, debatable whether Sirotkin will mature into such a role; however, it is possible that his sponsors see a greater degree of potential than with Petrov.

It can be argued that this is not a new phenomenon: going back to the mid 1990s, Pedro Diniz and Taki Inoue could not be claimed to be the most promising Brazilian and Japanese drivers; but both were able to progress to F1.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3283468)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seen it all before.......
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:00 (Ref:3283474)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Seen it all before.......
Oh yes, many times.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3283475)   #6
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
...hammered Nick Heidfeld...
Disagree! Petrov were good on pace with Nick, but Nick was faster IMO. Petrov got 37 points during the whole season while Nick got in total 34 points after 11 races. Vitaly for shure deserves a seat but he wasn't supreme over Nick and Robert. Not that i want to start off topic ****, but "the great Robert Kubica"? Robert and Nick were in my opinion equal good drivers!
Old 29 Jul 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3283531)   #7
PepsiVodka
Rookie

Canada
Grande Prairie
PepsiVodka is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
So, Sauber have signed a deal with 3 Russian companies. These contracts require a race seat to be given to Russian driver Sergey Sirotkin.

Well, if Daddy Sirotkin didn't own one of the companies investing into Sauber, then I can't see a reason why, rather than Sirotkin, you put Vitaly Petrov in as your Russian driver.

This guy was, on occasion, a match for the great Robert Kubica in their lone season together in 2010, when Petrov was a rookie. Petrov then hammered Nick Heidfeld in 2011, and Bruno Senna too, before eventually becoming a match for an on-form Heikki Kovalainen in the awful Caterham of last season. Let's not forget Petrov claimed not only Team Enstone's first podium in their Lotus-Renault guise (and Russia's first in F1), but also Caterham's best finish in 11th.

The lesson to be learnt: Money talks, talent doesn't.

Petrov despite being a pay driver was actually better than Hekki in the second half of the season and got that 10th place for Caterham in WCC. So I have no problem with Sauber hiring a Russian pay driver because who know he could become the next Alonso we have to give him the chance
Old 30 Jul 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3283655)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus666 View Post
Not that i want to start off topic ****, but "the great Robert Kubica"?
Kubica is well regarded to be one of the greatest drivers of this generation. He seems to be doing better than a certain Mr Raikkonen in rallying, and was a match in F1.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 08:05 (Ref:3283670)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Please let's get the thread back on topic
Old 30 Jul 2013, 09:31 (Ref:3283707)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
because sirotkin jnr is actually pretty handy in a racing car. he's one of the two best russian drivers around at the moment, and the best free agent. no world champion genius, but he's quick when he gets it sorted. unfortunately he's still a fair way away from getting it sorted.

and who says petrov is actually any good to work with?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3283761)   #11
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never thought I'd see someone on here make such bold claims about the painfully average Vitaly Petrov.

That said, he'd be a pretty decent signing for Sauber, and preferrable to Sirotkin for next year at least. It's very clear that Sirotkin has much more natural talent than Vitaly though, he's just too young
Old 30 Jul 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3283807)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So Sauber is saved from their troubles ?!?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3283850)   #13
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I don't know. That'll be found out when the flag drops in Australia, if that is the season opener. The point I'm trying to make is that surely a team in Formula 1, the pinnacle of motorsport, shouldn't sign a driver for money and solely money. Sirotkin in my eyes, will need another year in FR3.5 to take multiple wins and prove he's one for F1. Petrov already has the experience and pace.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3283898)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its an unfortunate reality but you can hardly blame the teams for signing a driver for money when the possibilities of you making money off your driver (scoring points etc) is not a realistic possibility.

its still too expensive for the lower echelon teams. Williams for example, if they didnt have pay drivers then they wouldnt be making any money at all from their race team. and their second driver (whom im not sure brings money or not) is probably singed to a long term onerous contract that SFW hopes to sell if he gets the chance.

getting back to Sauber though, do they still need to make a deal for an engine next year? surely that deal/discount will come with a driver as well.

Biscuits, welcome to the forum. love the name
Old 30 Jul 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3283992)   #15
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Kubica is well regarded to be one of the greatest drivers of this generation. He seems to be doing better than a certain Mr Raikkonen in rallying, and was a match in F1.
For shure he is brilliant at rallying, but he only outscored Nick in 2008 when Nick outscored Robert in 2007 and 2009. As I said, they are equal good and I believe Kubica was heavily biased because Nick was just "another german driver".
Old 31 Jul 2013, 04:37 (Ref:3284056)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
So Sauber is saved from their troubles ?!?
I am not sure anyone in the media has bothered to find out. It is still dreadfully unclear as to what this new Russian money actually does for Sauber.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Jul 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3284085)   #17
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
getting back to Sauber though, do they still need to make a deal for an engine next year? surely that deal/discount will come with a driver as well.

Biscuits, welcome to the forum. love the name
I don't know about that, but if they don't, McLaren may as well push for one season just to put Kevin Magnussen on the deal. And that guy is seriously quick. They're probably going to keep Ferrari engines if they haven't already.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3284132)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
being realistic for a second, sauber are going to need a decent experienced driver alongside sirotkin if that comes through. will there be anyone available who won't want an arm and a leg in salaries and who can bring a personal sponsor or two?

i think mclaren would be far better dropping magnussen at marussia, in exchange for a bit of dough and some consultancy work to get the most out of the money they have coming in...
Old 31 Jul 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3284196)   #19
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
being realistic for a second, sauber are going to need a decent experienced driver alongside sirotkin if that comes through. will there be anyone available who won't want an arm and a leg in salaries and who can bring a personal sponsor or two?

i think mclaren would be far better dropping magnussen at marussia, in exchange for a bit of dough and some consultancy work to get the most out of the money they have coming in...
There's a Japanese bloke who has a bit of money and is tenured at the team. I don't know if I'd call him a steady hand, though.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 12:12 (Ref:3284201)   #20
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

It's rather a shame things haven't worked out between Nico and Sauber, because he could be quite a good choice and it seems there aren't likely to be many better places for him to go unless it's a swap with someone.

Magnussesn and Bianchi at Marussia would make an interesting comparison for McLaren and Ferrari...
Old 31 Jul 2013, 13:51 (Ref:3284233)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i'd like to think that ferrari fancy turfing massa out and bunging bianchi in for next season. he hasn't done anything stupid or been outpaced by chilton or anything, so theres no obvious reason why not.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3284234)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I am not sure anyone in the media has bothered to find out. It is still dreadfully unclear as to what this new Russian money actually does for Sauber.
That's my take on it too. This is what was being reported 3 days ago.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3284251)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Mexican and Russians, a nice combination.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3287366)   #24
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
According to Grandprix.com, the money has yet to appear...

"Monisha Kaltenborn has admitted Sauber's Russian rescue deal is facing delays."

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns26066.html
Old 8 Aug 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3287438)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Let's see what happens next...