Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:35 (Ref:3827359)   #401
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
So, McLaren have denied Norris the opportunity to get some F1 race experience under his belt, before giving him a fulltime drive for 2019, taking over the vacant seat when Alonso retires at the end of the season.

Was it because McLaren believed Norris is so "talented" that they were afraid of another team poaching him from under their nose?

Or, was it because Norris is so "talented" that McLaren were afraid that their reserve driver could well beat their fulltime drivers, with an engine that McLaren had rejected?

Old 7 Jun 2018, 10:45 (Ref:3827362)   #402
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Maybe Renault simply said Non.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3827376)   #403
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Norris said no. It would jeopardise his F2 title chances and potentially in an average STR against a potential star would be an easy opportunity to look ordinary with longer term damage to his career.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3827380)   #404
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
So, McLaren have denied Norris the opportunity to get some F1 race experience under his belt, before giving him a fulltime drive for 2019, taking over the vacant seat when Alonso retires at the end of the season.

Was it because McLaren believed Norris is so "talented" that they were afraid of another team poaching him from under their nose?

Or, was it because Norris is so "talented" that McLaren were afraid that their reserve driver could well beat their fulltime drivers, with an engine that McLaren had rejected?
It was an offer for more than this season apparently and that would mess up 2019 for McLaren.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3827401)   #405
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
It was an offer for more than this season apparently and that would mess up 2019 for McLaren.
That's the worrying bit - has Red Bull's driver program got a huge hole in it? A few years back drivers were coming through the ranks thick and fast and Red Bull couldn't place them in their teams fast enough - drivers were being ditched without really ever getting a decent crack at it or farmed out to other championships. Now though they've brought Hartley back into the fold (seemingly only to ditch him again) and haven't got anybody else to slot in to fill the gap. Have they got less young drivers or are they dropping them sooner?
Old 7 Jun 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3827403)   #406
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Now though they've brought Hartley back into the fold (seemingly only to ditch him again) and haven't got anybody else to slot in to fill the gap. Have they got less young drivers or are they dropping them sooner?

I' m not saying that this is the reason, but is it possible that youngsters are not joining (or are being advised not to join) the drivers' programme as it had lead to a dead end for some past joiners?

If so, it could explain Red Bull's current predicament.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 14:38 (Ref:3827412)   #407
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
dont really follow the young driver market, but with other teams stepping up their programs do young drivers have more choice now/harder for RB to lock kids in now?

more anecdotal, but in the x-games world it also seems like the RB stable is being diluted by a number of other sponsors entering that market with their own athlete sponsorship programs.

although what Mike said also rings true...Marko is not a very forgiving mentor/boss so i can understand why drivers might want them to steer clear of the RB family.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3827455)   #408
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I' m not saying that this is the reason, but is it possible that youngsters are not joining (or are being advised not to join) the drivers' programme as it had lead to a dead end for some past joiners?

If so, it could explain Red Bull's current predicament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That's the worrying bit - has Red Bull's driver program got a huge hole in it? A few years back drivers were coming through the ranks thick and fast and Red Bull couldn't place them in their teams fast enough - drivers were being ditched without really ever getting a decent crack at it or farmed out to other championships. Now though they've brought Hartley back into the fold (seemingly only to ditch him again) and haven't got anybody else to slot in to fill the gap. Have they got less young drivers or are they dropping them sooner?
It seems the answer is a mix of both according to Chris Medland on Racer.com. Lando was attractive to Red Bull early but he chose McLaren, Jack Aitken was approached but chose Renault, and Russell is firmly entrenched at MB so that's the big names in the "minors" so to speak tied up with their respective teams. Now the debate Red Bull vs McLaren at this point is a valid what if/what could be proposition. But he doesn't name a single futures driver, just the 4 they currently have in Ricciardo, Verstappen, Sainz and Gasly if he continues to improve. And if RB moves to Honda power what's the likelihood Sainz stays with Renault for 2019?
Old 8 Jun 2018, 02:59 (Ref:3827571)   #409
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Interesting that McLaren chose to publicise this contact about Norris. And not particularly smart IMO.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 05:43 (Ref:3827581)   #410
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Red Bull only have themselves to blame. I've been watching the live streams of the Formula 3 and tune into the Toyota series down here and some of those kids could be stars given the opportunity. There's always grid filler in the lower leagues of course but that's just sport.

If your stable is so barren you need to reclaim Porsche's wonder boy who hasn't driven single seaters for several years (a driver who Porsche really turned from inconsistent and unreliable into a GT champion) then you should probably expect him to need a bit of time to get up to speed and give him a solid crack given your cupboard is bare.

Then again, if I was a young driver I'd be skeptical of Red Bull given it's very likely that even if you make it to F1, you'll end up a second class citizen like Ricciardo is and Webber before him. Vettel was a superb driver of course, but you couldn't blame a young guy with interest from F1 teams for being careful of who he invests his career in.

Over in indycar Penske has four blokes who he lets duke it out among themselves, and Chip Ganassi could have given Ed Jones team orders to move over for Dixon last weekend but rightly did not.

Gasly is driving like a bloke who wants a proper Red Bull seat. Given the Ricciardo rumours he might well get one. I hope he doesn't end up a permanent #2.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 06:31 (Ref:3827590)   #411
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Interesting that McLaren chose to publicise this contact about Norris. And not particularly smart IMO.
It wasn't them that started the rumours and why deny it when asked a direct question by a journalist? That would have added even more fuel to the fire.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3827652)   #412
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon9 View Post
I think Red Bull only have themselves to blame. I've been watching the live streams of the Formula 3 and tune into the Toyota series down here and some of those kids could be stars given the opportunity. There's always grid filler in the lower leagues of course but that's just sport.

If your stable is so barren you need to reclaim Porsche's wonder boy who hasn't driven single seaters for several years (a driver who Porsche really turned from inconsistent and unreliable into a GT Prototype champion) then you should probably expect him to need a bit of time to get up to speed and give him a solid crack given your cupboard is bare.

Then again, if I was a young driver I'd be skeptical of Red Bull given it's very likely that even if you make it to F1, you'll end up a second class citizen like Ricciardo is and Webber before him. Vettel was a superb driver of course, but you couldn't blame a young guy with interest from F1 teams for being careful of who he invests his career in.

Over in indycar Penske has four blokes who he lets duke it out among themselves, and Chip Ganassi could have given Ed Jones team orders to move over for Dixon last weekend but rightly did not.

Gasly is driving like a bloke who wants a proper Red Bull seat. Given the Ricciardo rumours he might well get one. I hope he doesn't end up a permanent #2.
I don't recall much if any action from Hartley in the 911s, he ran the 919 in the prototype division. I believe a lot of why they signed him was the experience with the hybrid systems.
Old 10 Jun 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3828209)   #413
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
2 more weeks of rumour and speculation to come...
Put me down for Alonso to quit McLaren and reunite with Honda engines.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 08:00 (Ref:3828296)   #414
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes I wonder if Helmet's ruthlessness on the TR drivers in the past may be coming in to play with juniors not wanting to sign. There's no way Norris should be taking that seat. Against a vastly more experience Gasly, odds are he may not beat him at all in 2018 and could suddenly be on the chopping block for 2019. He'll be judged straight away against a guy who already did 2 seasons of F2, a 3.5 season (back when 3.5 was at a higher level than Euro F3) and a season of Super Formula more than Norris, and nearly won all of them if they SF finale wasn't cancelled. Why put yourself at that sort of risk. Although going up against Alonso would be tougher.

Same with other juniors Richard Verschoor already been dropped and he's done nothing wrong. All that gave him was a dent in his reputation.

Albon dropped 6 years ago and now he's one of the fastest in F2 and gave Leclerc a good run for his money in Gp3. Juniors are better off waiting for another team to take notice, since they all have programs, rather than the RB program that will spit them out within 6 months of not performing well enough.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3828298)   #415
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait they dropped Verschoor? Why?

Yeah maybe it's just nationalism on my part but if you're going to sign a bloke who hasn't touched a single seater in years but has the best pedigree in prototype GT cars there is, to me that's signalling you both want a good development driver for your new engine and you intend to give him an extended run.

If they wanted another random young driver they should have gone to F2 in the first place.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 08:49 (Ref:3828306)   #416
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Team Manager Graham Watson said on TV here tonight Toro Rosso team has no plans to change drivers.
Would only happen if owners Red Bull decide they want a driver change.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3828324)   #417
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Team Manager Graham Watson said on TV here tonight Toro Rosso team has no plans to change drivers.
Would only happen if owners Red Bull decide they want a driver change.
So they'd only change drivers if the people who decide who to have as drivers decide to change drivers?
Old 11 Jun 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3828337)   #418
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
So they'd only change drivers if the people who decide who to have as drivers decide to change drivers?

Old 11 Jun 2018, 10:11 (Ref:3828347)   #419
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Hartley can’t have done himself many favours in Montreal. His face afterwards shows he knows that too.

The accident was Stroll’s fault, although a racing accident - but what on earth had Hartley put his car there for? Very poor decision making, and likely going to cost him.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3828360)   #420
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Hartley can’t have done himself many favours in Montreal. His face afterwards shows he knows that too.

The accident was Stroll’s fault, although a racing accident - but what on earth had Hartley put his car there for? Very poor decision making, and likely going to cost him.
As to Hartley making a bad decision to pass at that moment, I think it looks bad only in hindsight. I wish the replays they had shown were just a bit longer as it looks like Stroll had a moment on the prior corner and slowed (he was off track just on the right if I remember correctly). So Hartley jumped for the gap as Stroll slowed. If you watch the racing line of other cars you can see that some were able to take a line tha gave at least a cars width to the left (where the two eventually collided). So it wasn’t an impossible pass to pull off (assuming Stroll even was aware Hartley was beside him). The problem is the Stroll continued to have problems maintaining control of his car. He oversteered as the rear broke loose (tire going flat, or more likely hard on the throttle with cold tires in an attempt to recover his lost momentum from his earlier issue) and as he tried to recover he collected Hartley. If it had all worked as planned, everyone would have praised Hartley for an aggressive pass.

In the end, it took away a chance for Hartley to potential shine with the new Honda unit. So yes, it didn’t do him any favors.

Richard
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3828361)   #421
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Yes I wonder if Helmet's ruthlessness on the TR drivers in the past may be coming in to play with juniors not wanting to sign. There's no way Norris should be taking that seat. Against a vastly more experience Gasly, odds are he may not beat him at all in 2018 and could suddenly be on the chopping block for 2019. He'll be judged straight away against a guy who already did 2 seasons of F2, a 3.5 season (back when 3.5 was at a higher level than Euro F3) and a season of Super Formula more than Norris, and nearly won all of them if they SF finale wasn't cancelled. Why put yourself at that sort of risk. Although going up against Alonso would be tougher.

Same with other juniors Richard Verschoor already been dropped and he's done nothing wrong. All that gave him was a dent in his reputation.

Albon dropped 6 years ago and now he's one of the fastest in F2 and gave Leclerc a good run for his money in Gp3. Juniors are better off waiting for another team to take notice, since they all have programs, rather than the RB program that will spit them out within 6 months of not performing well enough.
He would have been loaned to STR not signed by them so he would go back to McLaren at the end of the loan period. There's no way they would want to let go of him in case FA gets bored at the end of the season.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3828362)   #422
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hartley did nothing wrong. He was making a legitimate pass, and it would have stuck if Stroll had no lost control of his car.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3828364)   #423
peebee2
Veteran

Hartley took a big risk and tried to pass where passing is not normal.

Did Stroll have a puncture or not? If so was it Hartley’s wing that did it, or not. Who knows.

Hartley threw away a realistic chance for STR to score points, he threw away a whole race of data about the motor and he cost the team several hundred grand in parts.

The TM will be very, very unhappy.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3828369)   #424
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hartley is at fault for being driven into by Stroll. That's up there with Ericson being at fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPn_GCa3mU

Had Stroll not lost the car, Hartley would've been through and we'd be sitting here saying that was an amazing pass.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3828432)   #425
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just demonstrates that when things aren't going your way, they get worse. I do think though that Hartley will be under pressure after this. A racing accident but he's the one who is paid to race instead of the one who is keeping a team on the grid.