Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Sep 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4076320)   #1
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IAM (Motorcyclists)

If you think the standard of bike riding is declining, you should have been at Mallory today. The IAM ran twenty one, 20 minute sessions during which we had riders & Instructors riding round with their Visors up, overtaking under yellow and waved red flags multiple times, and two riders black flagged on the authority of the organisers because of their dangerous riding.
Funniest part of the day was when I was driving out, I counted 17 bikes in a queue to get petrol @ £1.55 a gallon.
Looking forward to normality on Friday when No Limits return, although before that we have the unknown of the 6th Gear Driving Experience tomorrow, making their first visit to the circuit.
Old 29 Sep 2021, 17:40 (Ref:4076323)   #2
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Funniest part of the day was when I was driving out, I counted 17 bikes in a queue to get petrol @ £1.55 a gallon.

I only wish that we could get it that price up here! And they say that everything is cheaper up North!
Old 29 Sep 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4076327)   #3
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Posted by The Fat Clerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I only wish that we could get it that price up here! And they say that everything is cheaper up North!
I only wish we could get it that cheap down here in Aus where it is supposed to be so much cheaper! I paid A$1.40 (c. £1.05) per LITRE of Premium Diesel yesterday.
Old 29 Sep 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4076340)   #4
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!Mike Harte is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I only wish we could get it that cheap down here in Aus where it is supposed to be so much cheaper! I paid A$1.40 (c. £1.05) per LITRE of Premium Diesel yesterday.

I believe that the national average for 95 Octane Unleaded is about £1.35 at the moment. However, the cheapest around here is £1.287.
Old 29 Sep 2021, 19:39 (Ref:4076341)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
I paid £1.33 for normal diesel @ Morrisons here on Friday, came to£98.15 to fill up!
Old 29 Sep 2021, 20:33 (Ref:4076343)   #6
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's cheap! Diesel is getting close to EUR 1.50 per litre here, & that's the supermarkets.
Old 29 Sep 2021, 21:37 (Ref:4076345)   #7
Lancsbreaker
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I suspect you'll find the Fat Clerk's quoted £1.55 per gallon should have read £1.55 per litre We haven't had fuel at around £1.55 per gallon since the 80s
Old 29 Sep 2021, 21:43 (Ref:4076346)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
You're quite right, many apologies it is £1.55 per litre................sorry
Old 29 Sep 2021, 22:33 (Ref:4076348)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
Luton, which is nowhere near ,,,?
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
You're quite right, many apologies it is £1.55 per litre................sorry
No reason to be sorry, sir, we should never had litres thrust upon us in first place, I always work on miles per gallon.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 02:49 (Ref:4076367)   #10
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!E.B is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
No reason to be sorry, sir, we should never had litres thrust upon us in first place, I always work on miles per gallon.
Im with you there Baub.... my car tells me on the trip computer in litres per 100k and k's per litre, but I have a conversion list in my glovebox for l/100k to UK mpg.
10l/100k= 28mpg and 6litres/100k=48mpg always stick in my mind because thats the variance I get on my car for short stop start town stuff and long runs.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 06:54 (Ref:4076377)   #11
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I believe that there were a couple of reasons why fuel changed from being sold by the gallon to being sold by the litre, both ignoring EEC intervention.
Firstly it was done to make the headline advertised price less eye-watering (and to mask the price increases). The second reason was a more practical consideration. Due to the actual cost of the fuel the actual 'money' dials on the pumps were whizzing around at such a speed there were concerns of mechanical failure. Slowing the fuel delivery down would have made filling a tank of fuel very time-consuming but by converting to selling by the litre these dials were slowed to less than a quarter of their original speed!
Old 30 Sep 2021, 08:40 (Ref:4076382)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm down to fumes on the work hack and have drained 2 Lambrettas to fill No3 for work today, haven't seen a petrol station open with fuel for a few days, clearly they're getting filled at some point then a mile long queue. until its empty again

If I can't get any tomorrow I'll pump the Cortina out and use it in the scooter for a few days. lifes too short to queue with a load of panic monkeys topping up £20

The roads are nice and quiet though. I suspect people are 'working from home' and guarding their jerry cans in the shed.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4076387)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£20.00 topping up. A friend filled up last weekend and the dial on the pump from the previous customer registered £6.71. Topping up an almost full tank or a 5 litre can presumably. Whatever, it added to the queuing unnecessarily.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4076389)   #14
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Topping up an almost full tank or a 5 litre can presumably. Whatever, it added to the queuing unnecessarily.
You may be correct - but it could also be a false assumption.

The individual may have been filling up a can for a lawnmower (or other petrol tool).
The person may be on limited means, and towards the end of the month they can only afford a small amount to keep them going (youngster on a scooter maybe?).

I agree that there are a lot of people 'topping up' without real need and adding to the problem, but not all small transaction can be classed as such.
Old 30 Sep 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4076390)   #15
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw a guy on the internet yesterday filling a bin bag in a plastic bucket!!!

Maybe it was him.