Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Aug 2018, 19:46 (Ref:3841194)   #51
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Forget about the nomenclature today. This is Ratel building the future and showing the middle finger to those idiots in light blue-shirt in Paris.
Now that's a future that I think can be met agreement with many here.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 02:34 (Ref:3841279)   #52
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Forget about the nomenclature today. This is Ratel building the future and showing the middle finger to those idiots in light blue-shirt in Paris.

I’m ok with this. I’d rather Ratel be in charge of Gt future then the FIA. Sure he makes some mistakes and sometimes one wonders what the heck he is thinking but on the whole hes looking long term and has a genuine love for GT unlike those of the light blue shirts.

Still yet to be convinced about this new GT2 but we’ll have to wait and see what pans out over the next few years. I think the biggest hurdle will be getting manufacturers to build cars and gentlemen to buy them.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 03:47 (Ref:3841290)   #53
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Still yet to be convinced about this new GT2 but we’ll have to wait and see what pans out over the next few years. I think the biggest hurdle will be getting manufacturers to build cars and gentlemen to buy them.

I do think Ratel is enough smart by now to not launch a new category without knowing he had the backup from the manufacturers in advance. Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. He learnt his lessons in hard way.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3841312)   #54
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you ask me something about GT2, the first three things getting in my mind are a great 1999-2000 ps1 videogame and 430 GTC and 997 gt3 rsr..... "GT2" simply doesn't fit with the kind of cars involved in this new class.

GTS could be a better option, giving some vibes of GT1-like considering the power range of these cars. Anyway still need to figure out how (and if) manufacturers will support this class.

About GTE, this year corvette gt1 2008 le mans record was crashed by bruni's pole. No doubts that cars like ford gt, 488, corvette and AMR new vantage have performances and aesthetics of GT1 cars.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 11:15 (Ref:3841354)   #55
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What it will or won't be called is completely irrelevant at the moment ……….

Personally I rather like the idea of so called Supercars with a minimum of aero development being raced - there are certainly enough very rich gentlemen would be racers out there with deep enough pockets for this to work - just look at the Super Trofeo series in Europe and the US to see this.

I like Ratel ……… having read the book '25 years of SRO', whilst he has made the odd mistake here and there and I am sure you could question one or two of his decisions, he certainly doesn't mind taking a risk or two.

He lives, sleeps and breathes GT racing and doesn't often do things on a whim - GT2 (or whatever) is a cute move that not many would have seen coming. GT4, whilst a very good series with a lot of manufacturers taking part is not the place for detuned supercars (R8, Merc AMG GT etc) - leave them for GT3.

However it evolves, I can see this really working and, whilst I certainly would like to see GT3 keep going as I reckon at the moment it is the most spectacular series, this will appeal to a lot of people - different cars, different drivers and hopefully some close racing with all the vehicles looking and sounding different could be a bit special.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3842306)   #56
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The SRO 'GT2' plan is surely much reminiscent of the very first BPR GT series, supercars for wealthy amateurs (paired with professionals?)

And like many posters have said Ratel wouldn't do something without knowing it has a good prospect of succeeding. Ratel is now the global expert on promoting GT racing so he will already have done some canvassing with manufacturers and entrants about this new sub category.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3843588)   #57
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lamborghini Eyeing Huracan Super Trofeo for GT2.
Ferrari is also reportedly evaluating the build of a GT2 car for 2019.

https://sportscar365.com/industry/la...rofeo-for-gt2/
Old 14 Aug 2018, 22:15 (Ref:3843690)   #58
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Everyone is. There is loads money to be made.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 03:20 (Ref:3843705)   #59
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Lamborghini Eyeing Huracan Super Trofeo for GT2.

Ferrari is also reportedly evaluating the build of a GT2 car for 2019.

https://sportscar365.com/industry/la...rofeo-for-gt2/

Dear Clienti Corse

Please build a GT2 version of the 812 Superfast. It’s about time we had a successor to the 550/575 GT1 cars.

Kind regards our ears
Old 15 Aug 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3843716)   #60
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Dear Clienti Corse

Please build a GT2 version of the 812 Superfast. It’s about time we had a successor to the 550/575 GT1 cars.

Kind regards our ears
😀👍🏼
Old 15 Aug 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3843737)   #61
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be nice to see a possible 812xx convertible or basically elegible to gt2 specs.
Disappointed by lamborghini, a racing aventador would fit better for gt2.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3843759)   #62
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Not too sure about that. If we assume that the Porsche 991 GT2 is the flagship car for the class (name checks out, and there was that test mule at Monza), then the other cars should be from a similar slot in the market as the Porker.

And while the Porsche is an impressive and plenty fast car, it's really still "only" a 911. For me, a 911 - even in GT2 form - is not in the same league as an Aventador, which sits more or less in the middle ground between the 911 and the 918, that Porsche has left empty so far (rumors about the new 960 notwithstanding).
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3843783)   #63
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Not too sure about that. If we assume that the Porsche 991 GT2 is the flagship car for the class (name checks out, and there was that test mule at Monza), then the other cars should be from a similar slot in the market as the Porker.

And while the Porsche is an impressive and plenty fast car, it's really still "only" a 911. For me, a 911 - even in GT2 form - is not in the same league as an Aventador, which sits more or less in the middle ground between the 911 and the 918, that Porsche has left empty so far (rumors about the new 960 notwithstanding).
As far I know that testing prototype was based on the road 911 gt2 rs.
Road 911 gt2 rs shares more with the aventador (comparable power, comparatble overall performances, similiar price range) than a huracan.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3843850)   #64
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dear Clienti Corse

Kind regards our ears
Quote:
Would be nice to see a possible 812xx convertible or basically elegible to gt2 specs.
you are thinking of something like this:

But I have the feeling that Ferrari will use a 488 Challenge adapted to GT2 or in the best case a 488 Pista Piloti.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3843871)   #65
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

I'm disappointed too, I do not know if a 911 GT2 RS is closer to a Huracan or an Aventador. But where does the Aston Martin Vulcan fit then? This is much more expensive than the Aventador or the 812 and it is a track only version.
I have the feeling that this category has a similar philisophy to the original GT3 and this time without the FIA ​​behind in order to admit these Track only cars. Maybe the Brabham BT62, the Glickenhaus SCG003, the Renault RS01 or the Ligier JSP4 can be part of the series as well.
Also, I imagine that Mercedes and Audi will join Porsche, McLaren, Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Ferrari, announcing a GT2 kit for their AMG GT4 and R8 GT4.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3843893)   #66
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:

But I have the feeling that Ferrari will use a 488 Challenge adapted to GT2 or in the best case a 488 Pista Piloti.

Great car.... if only was real

Is quite difficult to predict how gt2 class will evolve, but in my most optimistic opinion, will be basically a bunch of gt4-ized street super/hyper cars.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 03:35 (Ref:3843935)   #67
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Sounds like this will be a hodgepodge of cars and with so far, little direction or rules. Sounds great!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 05:01 (Ref:3843942)   #68
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
New SRO GT2

Quote:

I wish that was more then pixels..
Old 16 Aug 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3843980)   #69
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The new XX cars do NOT sound like you'd hope, the LaFerrari XX (whatever it is actually called) sounds terrible and quiet. The 599XX wasn't bad but wasn't anything special at Road Atlanta this spring. I was hoping for more but they were kind of meh, especially compared to the F1 cars on track.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:46 (Ref:3844129)   #70
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I thought the fxxk evo sounded good, audibly different from the standard fxxk.

And yes the f1 cars spoiled us for sounds that weekend.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 03:01 (Ref:3853063)   #71
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
I would love to see this new Porsche 935 in this new GT2 category.

https://sportscar365.com/industry/ne...-car-unveiled/

Old 28 Sep 2018, 11:15 (Ref:3853107)   #72
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I was wondering how fast this specifically unhomologated car would end up here. I don't think Porsche has any interest in making this a racer outside of track days and likely appearances in HSR events. It is based on a street car but it itself is not and will not be built as a street car so it cannot be the basis for a GT2 car as per the few rules SRO deemed worthy of releasing so far.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3853122)   #73
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I was wondering how fast this specifically unhomologated car would end up here. I don't think Porsche has any interest in making this a racer outside of track days and likely appearances in HSR events. It is based on a street car but it itself is not and will not be built as a street car so it cannot be the basis for a GT2 car as per the few rules SRO deemed worthy of releasing so far.
If the Aston Martin Vulcan can be part of the GT2 category this Porsche can also be part.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 13:11 (Ref:3853124)   #74
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
If the Aston Martin Vulcan can be part of the GT2 category this Porsche can also be part.
But have ANY cars been included as confirmed? And Porsche has said they are not interested in homologating it for racing after being directly asked multiple times.
Old 28 Sep 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3853136)   #75
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
But have ANY cars been included as confirmed? And Porsche has said they are not interested in homologating it for racing after being directly asked multiple times.
It is true that Porsche showed interest in racing in the GT2 with the 911 GT2 RS, but this car derives from that.
The GT2 car homologations, like GT4, is largely devoid of involvement from the FIA and is managed by SRO with the help of the Royal Automobile Club of Belgium.
This allows Ratel more flexibility to homologate different cars.

John Dagys mentioned the Aston Martin Vulcan in the list of possible participating cars.

https://sportscar365.com/features/co...ture-with-gt2/