Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 26 Feb 2020, 21:18 (Ref:3960076)   #626
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Electrics on so called modern Pugs is pure crap. .
Any Pugs that end in a 7 and onwards are rubbish right through the range, and that is not just me as all my fellow mechanics say the same
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Feb 2020, 06:09 (Ref:3960117)   #627
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
They're right! Just to show the right example I bought one of the last 207 produced. I said to my wife all the traditional BS, we're French, must help, support our industry well the whole garbage. I choose the top of the range with all the supposed right bits… Watta mistake! I'll never buy another new Pug!
Old 27 Feb 2020, 10:01 (Ref:3960143)   #628
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Quite right, oddly enough I have replaced window regulators on both my previous Passat and a Belingo, the difference is chalk and cheese. The German construction is a precision engineered product albeit perhaps a little over the top and the French is a mere childs toy, the term designed obsolesce was obviously derived from such a lightweight fabrication.

I understand what you are saying but have to observe that you know this because both regulators failed (presumably). Was the Passat window used much more than the Berlingo window?

What were the relative costs of replacement?
Old 27 Feb 2020, 11:10 (Ref:3960157)   #629
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At the moment I'm still driving my 2007 Grand Cherokee. Apart from the outdated sat nav it's great. 48k miles on the clock.
Old 27 Feb 2020, 12:21 (Ref:3960175)   #630
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2002 Saab 9-5 here. 156k miles. Regularly fettled over 15.5 years of ownership. Most critical corrosion items have been replaced bit by bit. Had it rustproofed a year ago.

I suspect it may need a new exhaust at some point. From memory the existing one is about 10 years old or maybe a little more - remarkable given the number of short runs I take.

It's complicated enough but not too complicated and still generally fixable for as long as there is half decent parts availability.
Old 27 Feb 2020, 12:31 (Ref:3960179)   #631
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had a 55 plate 9-3 for a time but all the Vauxhall bits started failing and it became uneconomical to repair. Switched to my 53 plate V70 which I didn't like but grudgingly respected.

That's up for sale as I've bought this 55 plate Dispatch as it's more of a van. Well actually it *is* a van There's rumours I have "something else" as a fun car but that hasn't broken cover yet.

However they're all old generation stuff. MiniMM has a 60 plate BMW 3 series diesel, and that's so complicated to drive. I struggled to get the "key" out of the "ignition" when I borrowed it, then struggled to lock it..... thankfully it has automatic lights and wipers as I couldn't understand those at all!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Feb 2020, 12:52 (Ref:3960182)   #632
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Strange that a SAAB driver has to struggle with the ignition key of a Bimmer. The old swedish system is very good in terms of safety but a little bit weird for the non initiated…
Old 27 Feb 2020, 13:29 (Ref:3960191)   #633
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

As Max mentioned BMW s ...

This video is sort of interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gggowzPSE
Old 27 Feb 2020, 18:46 (Ref:3960221)   #634
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I understand what you are saying but have to observe that you know this because both regulators failed (presumably). Was the Passat window used much more than the Berlingo window?

What were the relative costs of replacement?
The Passat was mine and used daily particularly at weekends travelling to motor circuits hence 200k miles, the Berlingo was friends vehicle. As for the costs, I simply have no idea - I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast these days
Old 27 Feb 2020, 18:48 (Ref:3960223)   #635
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Mmmm, modern car electronics are the work of the devil
Old 27 Feb 2020, 19:45 (Ref:3960235)   #636
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Mmmm, modern car electronics are the work of the devil

The best one can hope is that someone uses the convenience facility to steal the car before it starts to experience problems with the electronics!

Old 27 Feb 2020, 20:53 (Ref:3960248)   #637
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rewinding to the discussion on adblue rather than the general rant against modern cars......someone mentioned keeping some spare in the car, but be careful, it's horrible stuff which will corrode steel and vaporise electrics in the blink of an eye if it leaks.

Our bulk adblue tank was inside our warehouse and the concrete under the drippy nozzle/pump slowly disappeared, eventually exposing the steel rebar in the floor!
Old 27 Feb 2020, 22:00 (Ref:3960254)   #638
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post

Our bulk adblue tank was inside our warehouse and the concrete under the drippy nozzle/pump slowly disappeared, eventually exposing the steel rebar in the floor!
Same as the brown "Eolys" additive that you had to put in the separate tank on the Citroen/Peugeot/Ford/Volvo range a while back. Awful stuff that stank to high heaven. The tank was in the most inaccessible place that you could put it underneath on some of them and was supposed to last for thousands of miles.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 27 Feb 2020 at 22:08.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Feb 2020, 06:30 (Ref:3960281)   #639
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The tank was in the most inaccessible place that you could put it underneath on some of them and was supposed to last for thousands of miles.
Was it Citroën having no sensor in the Eolys tank? The obd had to calculate the remaining amount from the main tank refills or the number of times the trap had been opened. When you know how accurate the obd is on those machines…
Old 28 Feb 2020, 13:10 (Ref:3960346)   #640
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Have to agree about how nasty adblu is! Once when I filled up at the local truck w/shop a small amount was spilled down the side of the van. The mechanic offered to get water to wash it off, but I declined and said I would do it back at my place. I forgot and next day the spill was a horrible crystal structure, which fortunately hadn’t damaged the paint....

Corona Virus leads to cancellation of Geneva Motor Show! Wonder if it will eventually affect any historic race meetings?
Old 28 Feb 2020, 15:00 (Ref:3960372)   #641
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Grant why do you have 21 minutes available to watch that??????
Old 28 Feb 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3960387)   #642
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Old 28 Feb 2020, 19:03 (Ref:3960435)   #643
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Was it Citroën having no sensor in the Eolys tank? The obd had to calculate the remaining amount from the main tank refills or the number of times the trap had been opened. When you know how accurate the obd is on those machines…
Yes, so if you just put a couple of quids worth in (like my wife) it would assume that you were filling the tank and put more of it in every time !!
Old 28 Feb 2020, 19:10 (Ref:3960436)   #644
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Very logical is it, Gordon? Thats what we call "voiture d'ingénieur". If you like to stick to the thread, just remember what happened when they first introduced the DS/ ID. Among the dealer network very few could fix almost anything on those pure wonders. Way too much complicated! As a result, the sales of the Traction -many said dead and buried- went sky high not only because they were a lot cheaper but also because all the flaws had been erased in production or at least were known…
Old 28 Feb 2020, 19:12 (Ref:3960438)   #645
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Positive side effect is that during a century you could find a first gen DS with low mileage…*
Old 28 Feb 2020, 20:03 (Ref:3960455)   #646
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Because I didn't have 30 minutes available to watch something else!

Anyway, diagnostic processes for obscure problems have long intrigued me. Especially when the problem in question has not been diagnosed by several previous attempts by other people.

That one seemed to be a very thorough explanation.

It also reminded me why I might want to resist Management's apparent desire to change her car for something full of modern complexity that she will discover she hates, refuses to use and then finds she has to use bits of it and so moans about it constantly.

If I find myself starting to come around to the idea of changing the Corolla I just dig out a video about fixing over complex post circa 2007 cars and my resolve to resist is once again bolstered. Probably saving several grand as a result.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3960669)   #647
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I hear Boris has admitted to his first cockup.

Presumably it something he's not prepared to blame on someone else.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 20:25 (Ref:3960675)   #648
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I hear Boris has admitted to his first cockup.

Presumably it something he's not prepared to blame on someone else.

Not sure it can count as his first.......does this count as the first barsteward conceived in No 10?

At least he won't be singing that West Side Story song "I feel Priti..."
Old 29 Feb 2020, 22:59 (Ref:3960697)   #649
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Not sure it can count as his first.......does this count as the first barsteward conceived in No 10?

At least he won't be singing that West Side Story song "I feel Priti..."

I sometimes wonder where things political are conceived.

Reports are that the mother-to-be's new assistant (dog walker and nappy changer?) is a high powered person who could command a "6 figure salary".

Amazing.

What with this, the floods, the storms and Corvid 19 plus the threat of a significant recession, 2020 could be a rather interesting year.
Old 29 Feb 2020, 23:04 (Ref:3960698)   #650
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If it's a boy will it be called Damian?
Closed Thread