Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Nov 2019, 09:37 (Ref:3940338)   #1001
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
TOCA Engine likely for Excelr8?
Old 13 Nov 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3940339)   #1002
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Nice to see a new manufacturer when most series are losing them
This is an independent entry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Nov 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3940342)   #1003
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seems to be a similar deal to that with the Alfa in that it's the UK dealer network that is involved rather than the manufacture.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 10:21 (Ref:3940345)   #1004
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post

Oh dear....... As far as I know Hyundai is a Manufacturer that makes amongst other things
Cars,and as far as I can see a team has entered a Hyundai for the first time in the BTCc in the current era. I didnt say Manufacturer Team in my post? Why do we have to endure silly sm4rt ar$e$ with nothing to contribute?......
Old 13 Nov 2019, 10:23 (Ref:3940346)   #1005
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
Quote:
Oh dear....... As far as I know Hyundai is a Manufacturer that makes amongst other things

Cars,and as far as I can see a team has entered a Hyundai for the first time in the BTCc in the current era. I didnt say Manufacturer Team in my post? Why do we have to endure silly sm4rt ar$e$ with nothing to contribute?......
Wow, bit of an overreaction...

Old 13 Nov 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3940348)   #1006
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
Presumably now this confirms also the departure of the MG6? One of the oldest NGTC cars and most successful. Still good looking!

It's a shame the new shape MG6 (Butcher raced the TCR version the other week) is not on sale in the UK, its a real looker...

Old 13 Nov 2019, 10:40 (Ref:3940349)   #1007
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hyundai well I didn't see that one coming. Nice to see a new name on the grid.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3940351)   #1008
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Cars
Quote:
Wow, bit of an overreaction...
I'll just leave the words of Alan Gow here, then hopefully we can move on?

'It’s fantastic to see another new marque join the BTCC'
Old 13 Nov 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3940352)   #1009
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
[MG6] One of the oldest NGTC cars and most successful. Still good looking!

[...]new shape MG6 [...] its a real looker...
Each to their own I suppose, but I can't say that I've been impressed with the looks of the old or new MG6 I'm afraid...
Old 13 Nov 2019, 11:03 (Ref:3940353)   #1010
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'll just leave the words of Alan Gow here, then hopefully we can move on?

'It’s fantastic to see another new marque join the BTCC'
Enough said!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 11:05 (Ref:3940354)   #1011
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
Quote:
Each to their own I suppose, but I can't say that I've been impressed with the looks of the old or new MG6 I'm afraid...
Fair enough!

Must admit the old one only looked its best in the hands of Excelr8, the liveries suited them well.

Old 13 Nov 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3940355)   #1012
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I dont imagine any of the cars on the BTCC grid are totally paid for by the manufacturers. It looks like even Honda have dialed down their Team Dynamics involvement from what I have heard / seen in recent years. Virtually every "works" car is plastered with 3rd party sponsors, apart from BMW.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3940358)   #1013
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I dont imagine any of the cars on the BTCC grid are totally paid for by the manufacturers. It looks like even Honda have dialed down their Team Dynamics involvement from what I have heard / seen in recent years. Virtually every "works" car is plastered with 3rd party sponsors, apart from BMW.
I think it's more of a case if the entry is a manufacturer entry or an independent entry. Whether they have 3rd party sponsors or not doesn't really matter.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3940359)   #1014
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One thing I notice on the car is that the sills are wider than the arches.
I have not noticed this on NGTC builds previously, and this has resulted in some criticism that the arch 'extensions' are too excessive for aesthetic purposes.

Have Excelr8 identified a way to run with narrower arches, and still meet the NGTC minimum width criteria of 1875mm?

I know they have been keen in the past to highlight their expertise in front end cooling methods, so have they come up with something there?

Or is it just a case of the cars not being built yet, so eventually it will look a bit different to the rendered images?

As per your last comment - I'd wait and see when the actual cars come out as renders are always subject to change once a real car is built
Old 13 Nov 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3940367)   #1015
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
I think it's more of a case if the entry is a manufacturer entry or an independent entry. Whether they have 3rd party sponsors or not doesn't really matter.
I am sure if the entry is a manufacturer or independent that they would be happy to have the costs reduced by the addition of suitable 3rd party sponsors.

Looking at the media images for the new Hyundai there is very little Hyundai sponsorship on the car which suggests it is more of a independent entry than a true manufacturer attempt.

The press release says there is support of key players in the UK Dealer Network, so the chance to put a show car in the nearest dealership to the next round of the championship.

While it is good to see Hyundai entering the championship I don't expect them to be winning races in 2020 unless they are the reverse grid rounds.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:03 (Ref:3940368)   #1016
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
huh?
name a “works” team in any championship that doesnt have any third party sponsors?
Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:05 (Ref:3940370)   #1017
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Looking at the media images for the new Hyundai there is very little Hyundai sponsorship on the car which suggests it is more of a independent entry than a true manufacturer attempt.

The press release says there is support of key players in the UK Dealer Network, so the chance to put a show car in the nearest dealership to the next round of the championship.
In August, Excelr8 announced that Draper Tools would be their title sponsor for 2020. I would imagine the level of exposure on the car was agreed with Draper Tools back then.

In September Excelr8 announced that they were looking at other marques (in lieu of Mini).

So the timelines suggest that Draper Tools were onboard before the manufacturer of the car was decided, hardly surprising then that the title sponsor has more prominent advertising than the manufacturer.

Gow also confirms that 'the cars [are] being built independently and without full manufacturer support'

Quote:
Virtually every "works" car is plastered with 3rd party sponsors, apart from BMW.
And whilst we're on the subject of sponsorship on a 'manufacturer' entry. Let's not forget that the biggest advertising space on the BMW entry is given to:
GardX - an independent company owned by the Coutin family and based in Hampshire.
Allianz Global Assurance - an insurance firm from Croydon.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3940379)   #1018
B0U170NS
Racer

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is exactly why this forum is slowly going down hill. Because some people on here are out for themselves and seem to pick apart every single word.

I agree with Mr jsmee, it looks absolutely stunning in those colours and sponsors. But this isn't a surprise as the MGs looked great this year
Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3940380)   #1019
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Good to see and I wish them well. Probably take a good chunk of time to get up to speed... however I thought that would be the case with the new 3 series. Watch this space!
Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:42 (Ref:3940382)   #1020
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many sponsorship deals are done by way of introduction, for example Yuasa supply Honda production etc. Castrol may also be the approved supplier to Honda in the UK?
You grease my palms with sponsorship and I get you in at the big manufacturer.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3940384)   #1021
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
huh?
name a “works” team in any championship that doesn't have any third party sponsors?
That's a fair point, virtually all works cars do have 3rd party sponsors, however in the past any true works entry will have the name of the manufacturer on the car *somewhere* as part of the livery. Usually the more financial backing = a more prominent place on the car.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:08 (Ref:3940386)   #1022
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s only an independent entry, but it’s nice to see the Hyundai make in the championship, car variety has always been a part of the BTCC.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:15 (Ref:3940390)   #1023
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
, car variety has always been a part of the BTCC.
oh really ? anyone remember the RS 500 cup
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.jpg  
Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3940391)   #1024
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
oh really ? anyone remember the RS 500 cup
You have to admit the BTCC has been in danger of becoming a Honda Civic one make championship so the addition of new marques has to be applauded.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 14:35 (Ref:3940393)   #1025
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the big difference is the RS 500 was so much fun to watch all by themselves, overpowered with little grip and drivers fighting to keep it on the track

modern cars by comparison are so boring