Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Nov 2001, 02:38 (Ref:173880)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who is the more skilled driver? Tony Stewart or Jeff Gordon

I'll give my answer later.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 03:13 (Ref:173887)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
very tough question joe....

one would say look at jeff gordons race wins record and championship success - no one can argue with that
tony stewart is my favorite winston cup driver. 12 race wins in 3 seasons, 4th (1999),6th (2000) and possibly 2nd in points this year - very impressive.

i will say jeff gordon, who i also admire, but pop this question up in a couple of years and my answer might change to the #20 home depot pontiac
Old 13 Nov 2001, 06:31 (Ref:173904)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Im goona say Tony stewart ..just to annoy Lee
Old 13 Nov 2001, 13:37 (Ref:173992)   #4
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think Jeff is a good Nascar driver, he's going to be remembered like Petty and Dale, but Tny Stewart is an all around driver. He can drive any car at any series and I think that gives him the advantage. Though I'm a Gordon fan.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 13:47 (Ref:173997)   #5
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they both have similar backgrounds in sprint cars,

I look at a good driver on how well he gets out of a bad slump in form!

So far neither has had a bad slump, though Gordon had 2 relatively quiet years!

Not eneough time to judge as yet!
Old 13 Nov 2001, 15:29 (Ref:174025)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A tough one. I have a ton of respect for both.

Jeff Gordon has proven to be on of the most dominant WC drivers since Earnhardt came along. Year after year he is one of the most consistent drivers ont he track. He also wa a tough racer in champ cars, midgets and Silver crown cars.

Tony Stewart still holds a lot of records in the open wheel ranks. he is one of the few drivers worldwide that is constantly seeking to win in different cars. His exploits at Indy are well known, but little known is his desire to win all the biggest races in sprint cars on dirt and pavement. He said last year that a win at the Chili Bowl Midget Nationals is one of his life's goals. He already has a win at the Turkey Night race and the Mel Kenyon Classic. I am buying my Chili Bowl tickets this week for the January race and am hoping to see Stewart (nee Smoke Johnson) there as well.

I think for now that Jeff Gordon is the better and more established racer, but Tony Stewart is close and has the chance to be as good.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 21:18 (Ref:174257)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is easy ot answer.

Tony Stewart is better, Jeff Gordon is ****.
Old 16 Nov 2001, 08:53 (Ref:175322)   #8
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Tony Stewart is better, Jeff Gordon is ****.
And that is why Gordon is about to take his fourth Championship, right? He isn't ****, he's the ****.
Old 17 Nov 2001, 15:39 (Ref:175865)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
I feel Gordon is not as good as Tony. Tony drivers with passion.
Old 17 Nov 2001, 20:24 (Ref:175951)   #10
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Tony Stewart is the more talented driver. He can race Indy Cars, sprint cars, dirt cars and stock cars, and be fast in any of them. He also has more Winston Cup wins (12-9) than Gordon did in his first three years.
Old 17 Nov 2001, 21:19 (Ref:175965)   #11
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Good to hear Joe Fan.

Tony is my 2nd fav after Bobby Labonte, Joe Gibbs Racing is my fav team.
Old 19 Nov 2001, 16:33 (Ref:176414)   #12
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no doubt about it. It's Jeff Gordon

Gordon is the Man!.

Roll on championship #5 .

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 19 Nov 2001 at 16:34.
Old 19 Nov 2001, 21:13 (Ref:176586)   #13
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting question....
I do have to say that I root for Tony. He has a mean spirit & I liked the comment about his having passion. (women like that kind of ****)
I have a suspicion that the main reason for my Gordon dislike is that he was the one person who halted DE from getting his 8th cup championship.

I think that if you placed them side by side to measure their talents...Their talents would measure fairly evenly. Gordon would probabally win in one aspect....Sensibility. That PASSION part I mentioned before, I think that it gets Tony into some of the trouble that he has. So for the same reason that I like him- is the same reasons why he is in the #2 spot & Gordon is the champ.
Old 20 Nov 2001, 03:06 (Ref:176657)   #14
Budmakesmewiser
Racer

Budmakesmewiser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are both really good drivers in my opinion,none of the drivers in NASCAR can drive a race car much better than you or i,it is all about how smart you are,Gordon has no more talent than Stewart,visa versa they both can turn a steering wheel and push pedals the same, but Jeff Gordon knows more about the cars and how to run a corporation some what thanks to Evernham,where Stewart on the other hand just likes to drive,Gordon loves to win and he desirves what he has,he is a hard worker.Gardon studies alot more about everything racing than Stewart,so i would have to say Jeff Gordon is in my pick.
Old 20 Nov 2001, 04:47 (Ref:176672)   #15
Roselady3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Budmakesmewiser
They are both really good drivers in my opinion,none of the drivers in NASCAR can drive a race car much better than you or i,it is all about how smart you are,
Are you telling me that these drivers have no more SKILL
than you & I??? Have you ran acar at 190 miles an hour around a track? SUCCESSFULLY-???
If you have then why the hell aren't you out there racing with the other UNSKILLED drivers?
Old 20 Nov 2001, 06:04 (Ref:176686)   #16
Budmakesmewiser
Racer

All in good time my lady,infact i will even mention your forum name on live TV when i win the NASCAR Winston Cup Championship in my rookie season in about four years from now.When i was six i drove 60 mph on a motorcycle and i have been at one hundred and ten mph in a race car before and there is no differenc in notice with the human eye,30 mph and 200 mph look no different especially with the security of a role cage around you.
Old 21 Nov 2001, 12:55 (Ref:177217)   #17
Roselady3
Veteran

Well- I have been to 110 on the highways of Chicago....
That's NOT 190! For hours!
SKILL is required----->> Make sure you acuire it before embarking on your road to be a stockcar driver.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 02:04 (Ref:177557)   #18
Budmakesmewiser
Racer

"Oh ya" i forgot one thing "THE RICHARD PETTY DRIVING EXPERIENCE",no offence but "Anyone can drive a WC race car and that is a fact.They just are not as smart as Jeff Gordon at the whole racing ordeal and i am smarter than he is period.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 05:58 (Ref:177588)   #19
Roselady3
Veteran

Well you won't find me disagreeing with you about Gordon-
I am NOT a Jeffie fan.
But I would like to see how you handle Kevin on your rear bumper Or a little smack from the side- A 1/16 inch mistake can make you go into the wall or take out other drivers. That makes you dangerous.
SKILL is required. That's what makes the difference between somebody who can do laps & someone who can hold his own against the best drivers.
Richard Pettys Driving Experience doesn't make you a driver. They allow you to experience the thrill of driving.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 06:20 (Ref:177592)   #20
Joe Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Budmakesmewiser
"Oh ya" i forgot one thing "THE RICHARD PETTY DRIVING EXPERIENCE",no offence but "Anyone can drive a WC race car and that is a fact.They just are not as smart as Jeff Gordon at the whole racing ordeal and i am smarter than he is period.
Bud, you cannot compare a "driving experience" car to an actual Winston Cup race car. The driving experience cars, even though many of them are former Winston Cup ars, are set up to have much more downforce than an actual cup car for safety reasons.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 10:15 (Ref:177629)   #21
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
I'd have to agree, Bud. It isn't quite as easy as you might think. Why do you think race car drivers, like baseball players, start in the minors and work their way up to the majors? Because experience is important, and experience is skill. And like I always say, talk is cheap, and experience isn't.

Driving around an empty track in a car that looks like a Winston Cup car but isn't setup like one, is a far cry from driving a real Winston Cup car at 180mph on a track with 42 other drivers that have experience.

But somehow, I get the feeling we'll never convince you of that, and that we're just beating our heads against the wall.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 19:27 (Ref:177839)   #22
Roselady3
Veteran

Good example, Tim B.
By your last line-I assume that I should just give up & not try. <??>
Old 22 Nov 2001, 23:23 (Ref:177922)   #23
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
I guess I just get frustrated with people who say "such and such is easy" when it is clear they have never done it and have no actual experience to base their statement on. But that was a bit sarcastic, wasn't it? My apologies to Bud for that one.
Old 22 Nov 2001, 23:39 (Ref:177923)   #24
Roselady3
Veteran

Nothing wrong with a bit of sarcasim. Easpecially with that subject.
I've been known to be a bit sarcastic now & then.

Back to the SKILLS.
I can think of many skills that would be required to know. The ability to make the car do what you want it to. The ability to save tire, breaks & fuel milage. Many a race was won by these skills.
The ability to communicate with your pit crew the needs of the car & what to do to make it better. You are just not BORN with these abilities. You must learn them- They become SKILLS.
Old 23 Nov 2001, 00:11 (Ref:177937)   #25
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3

Back to the SKILLS.
I can think of many skills that would be required to know. The ability to make the car do what you want it to. The ability to save tire, breaks & fuel milage. Many a race was won by these skills.
The ability to communicate with your pit crew the needs of the car & what to do to make it better. You are just not BORN with these abilities. You must learn them- They become SKILLS.
That's exactly how I'd put it !