Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Jan 2002, 11:03 (Ref:196953)   #1
paul c
Rookie

paul c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wheel bearing problem?

Can I ask for some advice? I drive an aging Volvo 740 which has started to develop a low pitched whine - almost a rumble - which is particularly noticeable after a short trip at 70mph. It's still there if I disengage the gears (I don't dare switch off the engine when moving since it's too heavy to control safely), and seems to be related to road speed. There's also an occasional accompanying squeak. It all sounds like it's coming from the front although in an estate it can be a little hard to tell with the way in which sound tends to roll around. I'm fairly sure this is a wheel bearing going but can anyone confirm this from what I've said, or suggest alternatives?
Old 11 Jan 2002, 11:37 (Ref:196963)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I had a similar sounding problem in my 403 way back which I thought was a wheel bearing, but turned out to be a loose drive shaft bearing. Some tightening of the bearing housing with Allen keys fixed my problem. To check if it is a wheel bearing, jack the car up, and check to see whether the wheel will wobble. You might have to take it to a mechanic if you don't have the tool to remove the wheel bearing.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 12:05 (Ref:196975)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's a front wheel bearing, you'll be noticing severe pad knockback... the brake pedal won't be nearly as high as normal, particularly after a few bends in the road or bumps.

Lots of things in the driveline that could produce it, but as VB has said, start your check with a jack-up and a wheel wobble.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 12:21 (Ref:196983)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would have thought it was easier than that.

For a wheel bearing, drive around corners - as the weight of the car loads the different wheels does the sound dimminish?

But then again, in a Volvo 760 I drove years ago, I couldn't hear a thing that happened in or out of the car.

So this may be no help at all.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 22:43 (Ref:197291)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
I

But then again, in a Volvo 760 I drove years ago, I couldn't hear a thing that happened in or out of the car.

All you could hear was the sound of heavy metal, I suppose
Old 12 Jan 2002, 11:47 (Ref:197487)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now Now Valve...

Don't be like that.

The thing is, I really couldn't hear a thing in the car. It was soo quiet.

Problem is, first and foremost, I am a motorcycle rider.

I don't like cars that lull drivers into a trance.

All my motorcycle biases against Volvos were confirmed on that day.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 10:44 (Ref:197886)   #7
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul.
Why not take the wheels off and remove the discs and check the wheel bearings. Check that the case harding is in tact on the inner and out race (That it still looks shinny on the neddles on the races and that metal is not flaking off them).
If they look ok repak and ajust them if not wheel bearings are usually not that expencive to buy.