Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3843580)   #1
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bye Bye Fernando

Time to give a youngster a chance, well done.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3843586)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Wish him well, wherever he races. Have enjoyed watching him in F1 over the years!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3843589)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
So this leaves the question of what he's going to do next year instead of F1?
I'd guess maybe a couple of WEC races including Le Mans, plus some Indycar stuff (maybe a whole season?) to gain experience ready for the Indy 500?

The other (set of) question(s) is who will McLaren replace him with?
Williams seem to have proved that although young drivers who bring money in may be useful to the team in the short term, experience is needed in order to develop the car. The trouble is there aren't that many good & experienced drivers without a contract for next year as far as I know...
Old 14 Aug 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3843590)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've had my ups and downs with him, but yes...certainly have also enjoyed watching him over the years and look forward to his next endeavour!

already looking into tickets for the 500 next year!
Old 14 Aug 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3843607)   #5
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
The other (set of) question(s) is who will McLaren replace him with?
Sainz and Vandoorne?

Sainz because McLaren has shown interest, he's probably free (soon), and fast and quite experienced.
Vandoorne because it's not the team's habit to change both drivers at once (last time was in 2006/07) and he offers some kind of continuity. Even if he hasn't got the results, McLaren knows what kind of feedback/input he provides and if that is of any use or not...

Norris is a possibility but the team has indicated they first need a good car before they could put young inexperienced drivers in, and he too has said a second year of lower formula wouldn't do him harm.

Apart from these 3, I don't see who else might go there?
* Perez? Been there, done that ...
* Ocon? A Mercedes junior ...
* ...?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3843609)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'd guess maybe a couple of WEC races including Le Mans, plus some Indycar stuff (maybe a whole season?) to gain experience ready for the Indy 500?
I have it on good authority that Fernando will be taking the Grave Digger drive next year. True story.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3843610)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clearly he is returning to Honda, with Team Dynamics in BTCC.

That's the Triple Crown, right? Monaco GP, Le Mans 24 Hours, and Race 3 at Croft in the BTCC?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3843632)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I doubt we’ll see Alonso back in F1. And if we do, I SERIOUSLY doubt we’ll see him win races, let alone championships. A career of missed opportunities, but his were wounds largely self-inflicted.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3843634)   #9
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=. A career of missed opportunities, but his were wounds largely self-inflicted.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with that.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3843636)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yep really cant argue with that either.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3843645)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I have it on good authority that Fernando will be taking the Grave Digger drive next year. True story.
Don't they run those crazy Robby Gordon trucks on the street course in Detroit? Could see if there's an Alonso Detroit triple crown, Indy, IMSA and trucks win. And it seems TransAm was there as well so a quad for Alonso?
Old 14 Aug 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3843647)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shame, I’ll miss him.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3843659)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Trenchant opinions from Jody Scheckter: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...nso--scheckter
Old 14 Aug 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3843663)   #14
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SkySports blatantly making stuff up about him going to IndyCar next year.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...from-formula-1
Old 14 Aug 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3843668)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Yes, presenting as fact what is only supposition (however plausible).
Old 14 Aug 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3843670)   #16
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I heard it was going to be the Caterpillar sponsored "BroDozer"...
Old 14 Aug 2018, 21:36 (Ref:3843684)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Clearly he is returning to Honda, with Team Dynamics in BTCC.

That's the Triple Crown, right? Monaco GP, Le Mans 24 Hours, and Race 3 at Croft in the BTCC?
No, like I said, it's Monaco, Le Mans, and the Cardiff Monster Jam.

One thing is for sure, Monster Jam is more entertaining to watch than Monaco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I heard it was going to be the Caterpillar sponsored "BroDozer"...
Well that takes all of the irony out of it. Bring back Stomper Bully, Bearfoot, Carolina Crusher.
Old 14 Aug 2018, 21:37 (Ref:3843685)   #18
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i've had my ups and downs with him, but yes...certainly have also enjoyed watching him over the years and look forward to his next endeavour!

already looking into tickets for the 500 next year!
I'm excited! I've done a complete 180 on Alonso and he is now one of my favorite drivers.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 05:06 (Ref:3843706)   #19
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a relief, we can now read stuff about F1 without constantly seeing fanatics singing his doubtful praises. He can drive ok but he sure has a doubtful career in a personal sense starting with the Singapore incident. I am personally very happy to see the back of him and can someone show him the way out immediately instead of waiting to the end of the year. No one will ever convince me he was not unaware of the Singapore incident and he did not stitch up Ron Dennis for revenge. i have had my say so I won't reply to further posts on my comments but please fire back with the denials and requests for proof because I don't have any except to say that the premier teams don't want a bar of him at any price.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 07:33 (Ref:3843718)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
If I may...

No matter what people may think of Fermando Alonso, I find it quite distasteful to read disparaging and sarcastic posts in most of a thread about a legendary driver retiring from F1!

😞

This is a driver who's statistics belittle what a tremendous talent he is.

It's upto an employer to manage their people, drivers, whatever. If a team does not manage properly things fall down.

So far Andrew Benson's piece on Beeb F1 has been the most sensible and respectful summary of Alonso's decision.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 08:13 (Ref:3843725)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a bit of a sad day for the sport, Fred was one of the few characters left in the sport. Who else is motivated by trying to win the triple crown? A great driver, certainly deserved more than just two titles, he was one who always gave 100% no matter what. Hope he continues to go in sportscars and would not be surprised to see him in Indycar next season. I can see him going for that now
Old 15 Aug 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3843736)   #22
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
He signed to do the full 2018/19 WEC season, so that means:

Silverstone 6 hours - Aug '18
Fuji 6 hours - Oct '18
Shanghai 6 hours - Nov '18
Sebring 1000 Miles - Mar '19
Spa 6 hours - May '19
Le Mans 24 hours - Jun '19
Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:12 (Ref:3843740)   #23
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
If I may...

No matter what people may think of Fermando Alonso, I find it quite distasteful to read disparaging and sarcastic posts in most of a thread about a legendary driver retiring from F1!

😞

This is a driver who's statistics belittle what a tremendous talent he is.

It's upto an employer to manage their people, drivers, whatever. If a team does not manage properly things fall down.

So far Andrew Benson's piece on Beeb F1 has been the most sensible and respectful summary of Alonso's decision.
This isn’t a hagiography site. Alonso is not universally popular, often because of his own behaviour. As for the idea that he should have been managed better by team bosses, what is he, a screaming toddler with no self-control? He made decisions and chose courses of action which sometimes damaged his own career prospects and negatively affected the way he was/is perceived. It’s called being a grown-up. For me, respect for him - as opposed to recognition of his abilities as a driver - fizzled out when he spat the dummy while paired with Lewis in 2007.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3843744)   #24
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Two words to describe Fernando Alonso.

Unfulfilled potential.

Sad for F1 that it was not realised to full. Specially in the '09-'13 years.
Deserves more. At least one more WDC would've been truly deserving. Certainly more deserving than some so called multi-champions.

As for who will take his place at McLaren? It'll be a driver who is associated with a team Alonso use to drive for. But I cannot mention his name. You'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:40 (Ref:3843747)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he’s a textbook example of being his own worst enemy isn’t he? you can say “imagine what he’d have won if he didn’t think he was a big player at sweet valley high”, but then would he have won anything if he wasn’t a drama whirlwind?